Sweeney Todd deluxe edition in 2004?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PatrickL, May 27, 2003.

1. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

This reliable site lists "Sweeney Todd" as in the works from Warners for next year, with "bonuses to be announced".

Upcoming Releases - Talkin' Broadway

I hope this comes to be; I can finally retire my beat-up vhs of this one.

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

There are currently 7 versions of Sweeney Tood out there per the IMDB. The 2001 concert is already on DVD, so it must be one of the other 6. I hope this is the 1982 tv version of the stage musical rather than the 1998 non-musical version from HBO.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

Rumor has it that Rob Marshall might be interested in making this into a feature film following CHICAGO.

If Julie Andrews still has enough of her usable lower register left, Mrs. Lovett would be a great role for her.

5. Philip Brandes

Philip Brandes Stunt Coordinator

Also note the upcoming (June 10) release of "Passion" on DVD. While not as significant as "Sweeney Todd," any Sondheim release is a very good thing.

Cheers,
    Philip Brandes

6. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Don't jkump on me for this, but I think that PASSION is Sondheims masterpiece and the video is truly fantastic.

7. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

You won't get any argument from me about PASSION, but to see (and hear) Angela Lansbury in the role is thrilling. Though the production is slightly scaled down from its Broadway incarnation, this production is still miles ahead of the SWEENEY TODD IN CONCERT issued by Image earlier this year.
    I'm truly looking forward to this, as well as PASSION.
    Now, if somebody only had a complete production of FOLLIES to put out onto dvd. . .

8. Michael Reuben

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

YAY!!!!!!!

Time to unload my VHS before the price drops. [​IMG]

10. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

11. Michael Reuben

12. Scott Pierson

Scott Pierson Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,

I agree that it would be great to have that PBS "Little Night Music" on DVD. I also taped it...and still have it. : )

It was simulcast on Oregon Public Radio, before the Portland PBS sation broadcast in stereo, so it sounds great, too. Wonderful Cast.

I saw the touring show a couple of years ago with Haley Mills---what a disappointment. Everyone was superb except her. She couldn't hold a pitch to save her life. Then, during "Send in the Clowns," some moron sets his cell phone off doing "Entry of the Gladiators" (This is the standard circus march played when the clowns are sent in). He got hissed. ; )

Regarding Sweeney Todd. I am so happy they are bringing the old video to DVD. I hope they tame the harshness of the video's soundtrack, though, the top end is pretty shrill. George Hearn is good, but how I would have loved that video to have been with Len Cariou. His voice is just that much richer. As for the concert video. I think it's terrific for what it is, the sound is superb. I, however, don't care too much for Patti LuPone, and feel she's the only (minor) weakness in the cast.

More Sondheim!!!!

13. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Michael-

Get the Paper Mill cast recording of Follies. It's fabulous & comprehensive. I got to see the closing performance of this production which was a total love-fest. Even got to meet and chat with Sondheim before the show. My friend and I had to pull ourselves away from him to get to our seats before the lights went down. He's a gregarious guy when approached with the right questions.

Got to see Merrily We Roll Along last summer as it was part of the Sondheim Celebration at the Kennedy Center in D.C. It was a fine production and I was happy to FINALLY see it, but the story is far inferior to the score. I don't think I'd make a habit of seeing it in revival (as I do with other Sondheim shows).

If you come to Scooterpalooza, look for me, I'll tell you the whole story of the Sondheim encounter. It's a highlight that always blows away my theater-centric friends.