What's new

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Thanks Keith, I hadn't seen the Black Tulip, nice call!!! I loved Delon in Red Sun as the weasley bad guy with Charles Bronson, Ursala Andress and Tishiro Mifune. Really the first Samurai/Cowboy combo that I can remember!!

In Ultrapanorama!
blacktulipgermanposter.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I haven't seen The Black Tulip either but the trailer on YouTube looks great and looks like the film has been restored. Given how many French titles have been released by KL, it would be a nice addition, many of us here are fans of Alain Delon.

I asked them about Black Tulip and they said they couldn't get it. :(

Capt Cheese Pro

Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Happy to see a number of folks pushing for the release of "The Long Ships", a great Viking adventure film! Would also love to see the great Tyrone Power swashbuckler "The Black Rose" given its Blu-ray dues!
:emoji_relaxed:
I love Tyrone Power, but they did do a Blu-ray of the black rose, were you talking about a 4K presentation?

Sinbad75

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
To my knowledge there has never been a region A Blu-ray release of "The Black Rose", only DVD as part of a Tyrone Power collection. If there is a Blu-ray, I'd sure like to know where!

Capt Cheese Pro

Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
To my knowledge there has never been a region A Blu-ray release of "The Black Rose", only DVD as part of a Tyrone Power collection. If there is a Blu-ray, I'd sure like to know where!
My Bad, I was thinking of the Black Swan - 1942, Tyrone Power, Maureen O'Hara, George Sanders and Anthony Quinn - I stand corrected. The Black Rose is another great one during Powers later years. I have the DVD edition in my collection as well!!

Attachments

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My wants are mostly the usual suspects, all those MGM swashbucklers that Warner now owns. Like many others, top of my list would be Scaramouche, & then there's the Robert Taylor trilogy: Ivanhoe, Knights Of The Round Table & Quentin Durward (you'd think that Robert Taylor would be miscast in these films, but he makes it work). The two Warner Flynn's I'd like are, The Adventures Of Don Juan & The Master Of Ballantrae, & a great looking Spanish Main wouldn't come amiss. Oh, & the comedy, Start The Revolution Without Me. I'm sure there's other 30s & 40s swashbucklers that I'd buy. I'd also love a great looking remastered Blu-ray of Richard Lester's two 70s Musketeer films, I had them on Blu-ray, but they looked dire, so the Blu's went off to the charity shop.

If you're looking for a good book about movie swashbucklers, I can thoroughly recommend, Swordsmen Of The Screen: From Douglas Fairbank to Michael York, by Jeffrey Richards. Long deleted, but I checked on eBay & prices aren't very high.

I like a lot of choices. Of the Taylor Trilogy, the only weak one is Knights of the Round Table, but it would look sound great in hi-def.

It's a shame Lester's Musketeer films have not had a good release. I can't imagine a more perfect adaptation of the novel than those films. I still have the Blu's, but they are disappointing.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd buy a restored Blu-ray of that most unregarded Powell & Pressburger film (I'm sure for good reason), The Elusive Pimpernel (1949) with David Niven, Margaret Leighton & Jack Hawkins, I remember enjoying it on TV, but that was many decades ago (60's?). I don't know who owns the film now. It has an interesting release history, a 1949 production, but not released in the US until 1954, & in b/w (it was a colour production). I wonder what the chances are?

Last edited:

Beckford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
I'd buy a restored Blu-ray of that most unregarded Powell & Pressburger film (I'm sure for good reason), The Elusive Pimpernel (1949) with David Niven, Margaret Leighton & Jack Hawkins, I remember enjoying it on TV, but that was many decades ago (60's?). I don't know who owns the film now. It has an interesting release history, a 1949 production, but not released in the US until 1954, & in b/w (it was a colour production). I wonder what the chances are?

I don't know what went wrong - considering the string of glorious achievements from Powell & Pressburger that preceded it - but "The Elusive Pimpernel" is one tedious movie. Looked forward to watching it for years and was so let down when I finally had the chance. I understand it had been initially conceived as a musical though that probably wouldn't have turned out any better.
A much more enjoyable David Niven/Margaret Leighton teaming ( in color as well and much closer to swashbuckler territory) is 1948's "Bonnie Prince Charlie". Also not perfect and - like "The Elusive Pimpernel" a box-office disappointment in its day. But I think it stands up reasonably well. At its best the picture's quite rousing; the music's stirring - bagpipes and all - and the Scottish scenery looks downright marvelous.

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have to assume the film elements for Captain Blood are in such poor condition that Warner have not bothered with a Blu-ray. My want would be Captain Horatio Hornblower (1951) with Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayo!

Capt Cheese Pro

Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I don't know what went wrong - considering the string of glorious achievements from Powell & Pressburger that preceded it - but "The Elusive Pimpernel" is one tedious movie. Looked forward to watching it for years and was so let down when I finally had the chance. I understand it had been initially conceived as a musical though that probably wouldn't have turned out any better.
A much more enjoyable David Niven/Margaret Leighton teaming ( in color as well and much closer to swashbuckler territory) is 1948's "Bonnie Prince Charlie". Also not perfect and - like "The Elusive Pimpernel" a box-office disappointment in its day. But I think it stands up reasonably well. At its best the picture's quite rousing; the music's stirring - bagpipes and all - and the Scottish scenery looks downright marvelous.
I would love to see either of the classic releases of the prisoner of Zenda Film releases. Both in color one was Stuart Granger one with Ronald Coleman both would be well appreciated. I love to see a 2K or 4K remastering of these.

Beckford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
I would love to see either of the classic releases of the prisoner of Zenda Film releases. Both in color one was Stuart Granger one with Ronald Coleman both would be well appreciated. I love to see a 2K or 4K remastering of these.
You might enjoy "The Brigand" a mid-range Columbia swashbuckler from 1952. It's basically a riff on the Zenda story with a few details changed. But I consider it a fast-paced little charmer from start to finish. The color's ravishing. Rudolph Valentino look-alike Anthony Dexter acquits himself quite well in the central (dual) role. Jody Lawrance and Gale Robbins add more to the proceedings than just beauty (though both have that in spades). And Anthony Quinn hits all the right dastardly notes as villain of the piece. It's not out on Blu but there is an excellent DVD available.

Capt Cheese Pro

Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You might enjoy "The Brigand" a mid-range Columbia swashbuckler from 1952. It's basically a riff on the Zenda story with a few details changed. But I consider it a fast-paced little charmer from start to finish. The color's ravishing. Rudolph Valentino look-alike Anthony Dexter acquits himself quite well in the central (dual) role. Jody Lawrance and Gale Robbins add more to the proceedings than just beauty (though both have that in spades). And Anthony Quinn hits all the right dastardly notes as villain of the piece. It's not out on Blu but there is an excellent DVD available.
It’s amazing how Anthony Quinn played the dastardly characters in many of the adventure films for example, Sinbad the sailor with Maureen O’Hara and Fairbanks Junior was it was a good one.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have to assume the film elements for Captain Blood are in such poor condition that Warner have not bothered with a Blu-ray. My want would be Captain Horatio Hornblower (1951) with Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayo!
The DVD wasn't THAT bad. besides, Warners scours the world the for the very best elements. There are several films Mr. Harris has given a few words about, saying that Warners has done a miraculous job restoring said film. I think he said one was "The Thin Man." Yes, I was right:

"...There’s a tiny bit of residual wear, very light scratches, that are all but covered and massaged away, but there are no real problems here.

I defy viewers to find it.

And that’s a miracle."

So in conclusion, never, ever say Warner Brothers' Warner Archive would "not bother" with a certain (or any, for that matter) title. CAPTAIN BLOOD will come one day, and on that certain day, I'm sure we will all be blown away at just how amazing this film has been restored and remastered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toocool
Recent bookmarks