swapping subwoofer need suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JulianBrock, Oct 11, 2002.

1. JulianBrock

JulianBrock Extra

I need a sub for my car and love the sound of my Tempest sub. This would make it a good time for an upgrade for the home sub. My question is... since the Tumult future is unknown.. What other type of "high excursion" subs can I put in a 8.5 cf sealed enclosure? I see the recommended alignments for the Stryke AV15 on preorder recommend a 6 cf enclosure for a Q of .55. Would this be a bad idea? Can the box be too big? I like the price which isn't much more than the Tempest ($165)... are there any others that you guys recommend that would work in a 8.5 cf box?

2. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi Julian,

The AV15 should work well in that 8.5cf enclosure. The Qtc would get a little lower than .5, about .489. Your F3 point would be about 38hz and F10 would be 19Hz. This is with no Box fill required. You could always use some kind of material inside the enclosure to take up some room if you wanted.

In the current enclosure, it looks like you have a 250W amp. Modeled in bassbox with 250W, you will be excursion limited below 36hz. Below that point, the extra Vd of the AV15 will allow about 2.5dB more max output.

The other option would be to add a pair of PR's to the sides. The AV15 in the 8.5cf enclosure with the pair of PR's would be capable of about 8dB more at 20Hz and 10dB more at 17hz than your sealed tempest.

John