What's new

Swapping Polk RMS II Satellites for Bose 201s? (1 Viewer)

hlain

Auditioning
I am looking to get some fuller sound out of my front surround speakers. My setup is as follows:

Front Surround Right/Left - Polk RMS II Shielded Satellites (8 years old) - 3" speaker with 1" dome tweeter.

Rear Surround Right/Left - Polk M2 (8 years old) - 5" speaker with 1" dome tweeter.

Sub - Polk PSW50 - 8" powered sub

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR600

I received as a gift, a new pair of Bose 201 series V speakers. These are not returnable. I know they're not super quality but pondering replacing my front RMSIIs with these for more mid-range from the front of my system.

My question is, would these make a difference if I replaced my front channels with them? Was also pondering using these 201s for the rear surrounds and moving the M2s to replace the front speakers.

Thoughts?

Appreciate any input!

Hans

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Suprised you weren't using the larger speakers up front to begin with
Try just swapping the Polks around, so that the fronts have the 5" woofers

The Bose 201's could be used in another room, running off your B speakers conections

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I totally agree. Why not swap the fronts and rears.

Then make sure your amp configuration is correct. and try a few different setting. Refer to page 36 of the owners manual on Speaker setup.

Try setting the fronts to large (after swapping the fronts and rears). Set the rears to "small"

Also you can play with the sub crossover point on that screen also.

Play around with different settings and I think you will be amazed at the improvement without even getting new speakers (at least as a starting point)

Next thing I would consider is getting a better sub. I don't know which 8" sub you have but I would look into a 10" high powered sub.

hlain

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies all!

My polkaudio.com/downloads/manuals/home/RM33,53,73.pdf RMS-5400 Polk guide (specs on page 45) listed the smaller speakers as the fronts and the larger as the rears so I set them up that way. Didn't register with me that I coulda just swapped them.

The lower end of the small fronts was 150Hz. I replaced them with the Bose last night and the sound all around was improved. My receiver is set to large for the front and rear speakers with the center channel set to small and for the 120Hz cross-over point.

I'd like to get a larger sub in time with a little more ooph.

Hans

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Glad to hear you have made improvements without expense! That's always the good new to hear. I'm still wondering why the bose manual tells you to use the smaller drivers for the fronts instead of the rears... but that's bose.. you just never know. It was probably a misprint as I figure it!:)

Enjoy your free improved sound!

hlain

Auditioning

Will do!

Friend has a PSW12 that is collecting dust at the moment that I am going to borrow. Looking forward to lower lows for a bit. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks