1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

swapping exsiting driver w/ Atlas

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cole M, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Cole M

Cole M Auditioning

I have an exsisting 12" powered sub with a 16"x16"x16" box and a 200w rms plate amp. The sub is boomy and has no low end extension.

I need help finding a driver that would be appropriate in the box and would work with the 200w plate amp. The box has a 4" port (length unknown) and is front firing. I've been learning to use WinISD and playing around with different drivers and the 12" Atlas appears to work well in small enclosures (website recommends a sealed box).

I could remove the port and seal the box up and have probably a 55-60L sealed box. Any suggestions on drivers besides the 12" Atlas? Just looking for a low cost alternative for better bass without building a diy sub from scratch (plan on one though in the future).

2. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Can you try lengthening the port?

3. Cole M

Cole M Auditioning

All of the alignments with drivers and a ported box gave me a big spike/dip in the repsonse, I'm guessing because the box is too small to be ported. I really just want a solid sounding sub, ported or unported doesn't matter. It just seems a sealed box at this size is more appropriate.

4. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Assuming the enclosure is 3/4" thick, I get 3546.58 cubic inches of volume. According to winisd with the atlas 12" parameters that I entered manually, I get a pretty smooth response with a 28.5hz tuning, 4" port 17.32" long. Because of driver and amp displacement inside the enclosure and since it's doubtful that the port is anything over about 13" the tuning goes up to around 34hz. If the port is shorter, which it very well may be, the tuning could go up to 45hz, 50hz...who knows.

The built in amp could also have a built in bass boost at a frequency that you find undesireable.

Can't you stick a tape measure in the port to measure it?

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Nope. That would be 15.25*15.25*15.25 and would only be true for 3/8" thick enclosure, since you have to subtract off two sides for each dimension. For 3/4" thick I get 14.5*14.5*14.5 = 3049 in^3. Then subtract off for any bracing and the displacement of the woofer and the port (if you're going to continue to use it ported). Maybe around 1.5 or 1.6 ft^3. That's not really big enough to port a 12 inch woofer.

Stuff a nerf ball or a rolled up towel into the port to block it off and try it sealed. The stock woofer may not work too well sealed if the Fs is too high. But its worth a shot. If it doesn't sound good, then consider woofer upgrades.

The Atlas is no longer available from Ascendant. You could wait for their new woofer lines or maybe find an Atlas on the used market. Or you could try the Oaudio TC2+ or the SoundSplinter RL-p or the Dayton DVC or, on the budget side, the Dayton Quatro.

6. Cole M

Cole M Auditioning

I've tried stuffing the port and it still sounds bad. I came up with the same conclusion that the box is too small to be ported. I looked at the Dayton Quatro 12" driver as a replacement, just can't tell if it would work in the the box sealed (

7. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Whoops, you're right.