What's new

Swap 720p DLP for 720p Plasma (1 Viewer)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I'd like some advice/input on a notion that's been bouncing around in my head lately:

I currently have a Samsung 5063W DLP. It's been calibrated by Avical, so you know that it's getting the best picture I can reasonably expect from it. It's on its second bulb. I've always found the picture to be a bit soft, especially as the bulb ages.

I sit 8.5 feet from the screen -- measured from my nose to the screen. (My son that I was strange when I asked for his assistance in the measurement.) Sitting closer isn't really an option neither is getting a bigger screen.

In other words, my set-up and room layout makes going to a 1080p display unnecessary.

Here's the question: would selling my present set and buying a well-regarded 720p plasma be worth it? Would the "softness" problem be less. I've looked at various models in CC and Best Buy and the answer seems to be "yes" but you know the limitations of such observations.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I wouldn't. I'd keep what you have.
As I've stated before........I'm not a fan of plasma tvs. The shiny screen reflects everything in the room. Especially light. They also have the possibility of burn-in, which your current tv doesn't. If you can make the room really dark, while watching, it may be fine. Shouldn't reflect too bad, in a dark room.

Some folks like a soft picture. They say it looks more like film. It doesn't bother me. It would also be a shame to waste the calibration on the current set. It all boils down to what you can or can't live with.
Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread