Swans speaker kits?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

So with all the hubbub about the Swan's Divas and my perusing of the internet while I procrastinated from doing assignments I came across a kits link on Hi-Vi Researches main page:
    http://www.swanspeaker.com/news/news.htm
    However, it don't work, but if you go to another section of the site and click on that same kits link it works. The only two kits they list are the M1 and M2. No prices, no where you can get them. Off the main page there is also a link to a gallery that shows a lot more models than you see on av123.com.
    Anyways, what this all boils down to is, is it possible to get designs and or kits for more than just the M1 and M2 from Swans? If so what models and what costs are you looking at excluding cabinet building and finishing materials?
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub
    [Edited last by Dustin B on October 26, 2001 at 06:47 PM]

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

This is from the 'snippets' website
    Swans M1 kit ($420/pr - note that Swans and Hi-Vi are sister companies)
    Swans M2 kit ($530/pr - note that Swans and Hi-Vi are sister companies)
    These were available, then disappeared, and I thought were available again but can't find any info.
    You could just create a design using better woofers (the fiberglass Hi-Vi are ok but not great) and a planar tweeter from Madisound or Stryke. If you want the real Swan/Hi-Vi drivers they're sold only by Parts Express.
    [Edited last by ThomasW on October 26, 2001 at 07:45 PM]

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My big problem is I don't have the know how or the equipment to do my own crossover. So unless it's a kit type deal that prefereably has the crossover built it's a little over my head.
    Since I built my first sub, I've had this desire to build my own speakers as well, provided I can get the same type of price/performance ratio out of them that I did out of the sub. The big thing that keeps coming up is this seems to be exceedingly difficult to do living in Canada. For a little over $4000 CDN I can get a full set of 5 Paradigm Active Reference speakers. So they are my bench mark to work against.
    $500 per pair for M2. So then lets say $1250 for 5 and then I still need to get cabinet materials. After you convert to CDN funds, add tax, a reasonable amount for shipping and brokerage it gets up to $2300 CDN. Then add another $2000 CDN for a good 5 channel amp and I'm up to over $4000 CDN.
    Doesn't seem to matter what DIY option I consider that would be as good or better than Paradigm Active40s, after I get 5 of them and add a good 5ch amp I'm always over $4000 CDN.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Dustin,
    They certainly wouldn't cost that much if you went with a pure DIY design. The Madisound (Silver Flutes $33)/Stryke (SA-RTW-2 $35)planar tweeters and a fairly good woofer around $75ea. Add in another $50 for the XO parts. Make the cabinets from MDF, veneer them later when funds are available.
    I'm telling you a way to do this, but truthfully I don't think that this is a very good design for 5.1 use. The planar tweeters are too limited in their vertical dispersion and IMO should be used in arrays (stacked multiples) for best performance. If you have a small room and don't play loud, then copying the Swan design would be ok.
    We are working in a new very nice 2-way that is killer good and won't cost all that much. Here's a CAD drawing
    [​IMG]
    Uses a Focal 8V4211 $88ea and a MB Quart 1" Titaniun dome $30ea. Factor in $50 for a crossover and the cost of a pair of port flares $14/pr. Use our XO design and build to our cabinet dimensions.
    This is the only photo Jon has uploaded of the prototype
    http://server2045.virtualave.net/ttr...20Pieces_S.jpg
    He's using a premade box purchased from Madisound, Woodstyle 123REV 48.8 Liters, 12"x25"x14.5", grill w/ Fastex Fasteners, aprox. 38 lb $192.00/pair.
    All you'd need to do is copy the cabinet in raw MDF if you need to keep costs down. Should be able to make at least 3 cabinets maybe more from one 4'X8' sheet of MDF.
    [Edited last by ThomasW on October 26, 2001 at 11:12 PM]

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

That gets closer, but still.
    88+30=118; 118x5= 590; 590 + 50 = 640
    640/0.64= 1000; conversion
    1000x1.13= 1130; tax
    1130 + 150= 1280; shipping, brokerage
    Depending on how a finish them another couple hundred, with a nice veneer or laminate I'd guess more likely over 300, but round it to say $1500 CDN
    add the 5 channel amp and I'm up to $3500 CDN.
    How do you feel this speaker you are suggesting would compete against a Paradigm Reference Active40.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub
    [Edited last by Dustin B on October 27, 2001 at 12:17 AM]

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Well if you can get the active 40's you don't need a 5 channel power amp since the speakers have amps built in.
    Haven't ever heard any Paradign speakers, so can't comment other than to say that they get pretty good press,

7. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Dustin,
    Did I hear you correctly that you could 5!! Paradigm Active 40s for a total of CA$4000??? That would equate to CA$800 apiece...would be about US$500 !! Since they list for about US$1100 each, something sounds strange. Could you clarify?
    To be honest, if you could get them for the price you say, you would be an absolute nut to go with anything else....Bi-amplification, electronic crossover, amps tweaked to drivers, built-in driver protection, greater dynamic capability,and other benefits of active speakers.
    ------------------

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Not quite 5 active40s. I would get mains 40s, surrounds 20s and center would be the CC.
    Using CDN funds, here is what I figure from talking with my local dealer and what I've read on this site about what discount should be expected.
    List
    40- 2250
    20- 1850
    CC- 1050
    Total- 5150
    Then with a 25% discount and 13% sales tax added it's about $4350 CDN. I would build my on stands though, screw another $400 or so for stands. I'll do it myself for less than $100.
    It's the 5 ch amp that keeps killing the DIY option for me, and that's only 5 channels of amplification, with the Active series I'd be geting 10 [​IMG]
    Still have a fair bit of saving to do though before it will be a reality.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub