Swans Diva 5.1....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe Thompson, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Joe Thompson

Joe Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Can I do better for....$500 a pair used(mint) from a friend?
    I would love to get the Rocket 750's...but at $1400 I might not have the budget for them....
    I did see some info on timbre matching problems with the C3 center...
    Any info on the Swans would be helpful...
    thanks

Joe

By the way,
    I will be using a Denon 4802
    60%-70% music
    40% HT-Movies

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I just got the 4.1s for $500 new in the black cherry finish and like them alot. I'm going to be finishing up w/ 2.1s and a C2 center.

$500 for the 5.1s is a very solid deal, especially if they are the rosewood finish and you don't have to pay shipping. They go for around $525 on audiogon w/ shipping on top of that.

Just a heads up, there is a guy w/ a C3 and R3 surrounds on ebay right now. They have bids but he told me he'd end the auction and sell for $350 and $375 respectivly. If he'd had them in the black cherry instead I would have jumped on them.

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

The 5.1's were kind of the redheaded stepchild of the Diva line. They exibited some ringing in the upper registers and did not match the C3 as well as the 4.1 or 6.1. I think the 4.1 is the better buy. You can still get them new from Jon Lane, but I can't remember his site. The Divas are really great speakers, and a lot of people on the forums were lucky to get them before Mark Schifter stopped importing them.
    The Rockets are a step up, but more money of course. If it were me, I would save up for them.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 4.1 for $499 was the black cherry vinyl finish. That's what I have and personally i think it looks better than the rose wood, but it's not a real veneer and it's not high gloss (except the top and bottom which are still hand rubbed high gloss piano black laquer).

5. Joe Thompson

Joe Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,
    Thanks for responding....Yeah Ithe 5.1's I bought are the rosewood...I haven't actually picked em up yet but everyone has said they are very nice to look at & good with music...that is what I am hoping for as I haven't had a chance to hear them....yet
    I also was looking at the rockets....mainly the 750's but the 550's are nice too, that damn center(200) is a monster & so expensive I might not ever get a home theater if I go with the Rockets...

Joe