What's new

Swans an upgrade from Polk RTI line? (1 Viewer)

Mikey B

Stunt Coordinator
With respect to your analogy of what you expected and what you got (sugar/salt), what if in my analogy you were told of an incredibly beautiful woman and expected exactly that and got an unattractive one? How far would you go in telling the same people who told you of her that she was not attractive to you?

Now let's say she was rather plain and not attractive nor particularly unattractive. Would you describe her anything remotely like "the ugliest woman I've ever seen"? Just because your expectations were high? Now let's say she was one of a set of fraternal triplets. Would you then make the leap to saying the other two were ugly too (without having ever met them)?

You previously said "it's either a shill for another internet brand - probably the brand I don't like, or...". Do you see where I'm going with this? You have made other negative comments about internet only brands, and after hearing one set of speakers from this particular brand, you now say you don't like the entire brand? This, along with your overly negative comments may lead one to believe you have and/or have had a bias against that brand.

I believe you may have reacted just as you say. But please do be aware of the suspicions people will cast when you describe a probuct as "the WORST" lumped in with other negative comments regarding the entire brand and the people who have bought them and promote them.

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
When I researched my speaker purchase I was looking for something that was more vocal and not to forward/bright sounding. I came across many reviews that stated Swans were very vocal and very neutral sounding. So....after many e-mails with Jon at the Audio Insiders, I took the plunge and couldn't be happier. I do almost 100% either movie watching or TV viewing so a great, 2 ch setup wasn't important. For what it's worth, the Swans sound pretty darn good for music, too. Although, I think my reciever has more to do with that than the speakers (the HK AVR-7200 isn't known to shine musically)....I have the 5.2bc fronts, C3 center and 2.1 rears with an AVR-7200 (soon to be Marantz SR-8500 and 7.1 surround w/ 2 more 2.1's for mids)an SVS SV20-39PC Plus and Denon 2900 and I think that dollar for dollar, it's an awfully good sounding setup. I've had many people with higher end equipment just blown away when they hear it. They are always asking "How much did you pay for the speakers?"......and when I tell them how much they just cannot believe it. I wish I had $100 for everytime I heard "NO WAY!"

My system is evolving and changing after a year of service but the Swans will be around for a while. I haven't even desired to audition anything else. I have had them for over a year now and I know that the speaker upgrade bug will bite again but for now, I couldn't be happier. If HT is your thing I couldn't recommend them higher. It's a great step into mid-hifi equipment.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator

Well said and I think by his post it's obvious.

Meeks....buying speakers is really pretty subjective.

You really owe it to yourself to evaluate the brands your thinking of buying. After all...it's you that's going to be listening to them, and not somebody on a forum that could be several thousand miles away, and could even be deaf for all you know.

Besides....it's really kind of fun doing them listening tests. :)

meeks

Agent
Yea, Ive already bought & received the 2.1's & c3. Already have about 25+ hours on them & they are sounding really good. I was a bit nervous about the c3 when I got it, it kinda sounded muffled, but after running it fairly hard for 25 hours its starting to really sound great. The 2.1's are smaller than my old rt55i's, but they still can belt out some sound, although not quite as much, but I like the sound much better since they are not as bright & forward. And might I add that they look so nice, the pics dont do them justice. Im surprised how well they are built for a $299 pair of speakers. I will eventually move the 2.1's to the rears for 7.1 & get some 6.1's when I get some money, but first I need some better amplification besides my HK230 reciver.

Larry_C250

Auditioning
Meeks - glad to 'hear' you like them.

Mikey B, I think you're misunderstanding me a little bit. Of course, reading my post certainly doesn't help the matter. I am making an attack of a sort to be sure, the speakers that 'sound like crap' to me are an example of one such product you find on the internet or even infomercials.

My rhetoric on the 'speakers' was an attack on people. Who these people are, I don't know, but I was trying to answer Mike^S question about why you read so little about Swan's on these forums.

Ok, let me try this way, when someone posts looking for a 'Bright' or 'Neutral', 'Forward' speaker, the usual suspects come out, but so do for this brand of speakers which are not 'Bright', 'Neutral', or 'Forward'. Conversely, I almost never read about anyone pushing Swans if someone want a really laid back sound, or a really bright forward sound. So what am I to conclude? Why do I constantly read thread after thread of people promoting this speaker line no matter what the OP's listening preferences are?

Hey, the speakers are the speakers. They are an INANIMATE OBJECT - I doubt very much anything I say about them will hurt their feelings! If someone is looking for their type of sound, then so be it - there ya go, have at her and enjoy your music/h/t experience. But if anyone posts "I want a neutral/forward/detailed speaker, and some 'shill' says get these, and that person does - then that person will be sadly disappointed. I was disappointed for that reaason, hence why I posted.

I didn't mean to say the 'speaker was crap', it 'sounded like crap' compared to what I was expecting. Just like the taste of salt - I love salt on corn, crackers, etc. But If I want sugar and am expecting sugar and it turns out to be salt, my first reaction is "that's crap". Definitely these speakers are built just great, but no better than any other speaker I have seen at the price range this speaker sells for.

So, not sure if I cleared this up or not, but to surmise, for people looking to buy speakers from an on-line only dealer - don't necessarily listen to the owners of the speakers - they could be shills, 20 somethings that don't know what a bright or detailed speaker really sounds like (and therefore are assuming their 'brand' is), or something else. You need to talk to the sales reps and owners (if possible) of the on-line company in question, who are much better qualified to set you up than a stranger on the internet whose true agenda is unknown.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I am one that sticks up for the reputable on line companies. To get the blasts out of the way, I currently own Rocket 750's, 200, 300"s and an SVS PB2+ (Its called something else now) Anyway I started with Axiom.. great customer service, I had them send me some things, I then went to SVS... Ron worked with me there, took my room measurments and tried to get my dual subs that I already had (another brand) working better and gave me some ideas to try and told me to call him back in a few days. I was so impressed he didnt try to sell me somthing. A few days passed and it was just time for an upgrade. He suggested the model under what I wound up buying. Now that I have the PB2+ I could have easily got by with the next one down which he recommended... but no me being the guy that always has to go to the next step... you know how that goes... Next comes AV123 and Onix Rockets... Again I had NHT towers in all fours and a center. They were not bad speakers but were a few years old and I just wanted something different and also something besides black.. (WAF ya know) Sean there again helped me with my room stuff and also tried to talk me into something lower in cost. But being me I had to one up it. I really am glad I did though and love the speakers. My HT rocks now! Plus I have so much confidence in these on line companies even the ones I did not buy from that all of the good ones are on the level and want you a customer to be a happy camper. Sure you need to get out and listen at the shops and also if someone has a brand or two of the online ones. I did not have that much luck.. not anyone in my area with the on line stuff but i did do the audio shop routine. Anyway I am happy and thats what counts. Makes me believe that there are great companies out there just not many of them that look out after their customers like these companies did.

David K.

Second Unit

i believe the sacd 6 channel mix of norah jones has the voices mixes on the left and right channels, not the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks