swan vs. monitor audio

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by raymond caputo, Apr 19, 2005.

1. raymond caputo

raymond caputo Stunt Coordinator

i was wondering if anyone had the opportunity to compare swan speakers to monitor audio...i am debating between swan 5.2 ht setup(without the sub) to the monitor silver series s8's or s10's...i have a chance to buy s10's for a really good price..

2. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Sorry I haven't had a chance to hear the swans, but I did pick up a pair of s10 from my dealer two days ago. I listened to the following speakers before deciding on the s10s and I couldn't be happier:

Paradigm Studio 100 v3
    Paradigm Monitor 7
    B&W 604S3
    B&W 703
    Axiom m80(at an Axiom forum members house)
    Klipsch RF-7

For my taste the Axiom and Klipsch were to bright while the Paradigm 100s, Monitor 7 and B&W 604S3 lacked the detail I was looking for. The B&W 703 was detailed, but was just out of my price range at a msrp of $3000. To me the MA was everything I was looking for. Sound wise it fell somewhere between 100s and the 703.

3. raymond caputo

thanks for the input...what kind of setup are you using these speakers for...i'm looking to set up a ht in the basement with a front projector....any suggestions for the side and rear speakers?? are you hooking up a sub to the speakers..my local dealer who can get the s10's doesn't have them in stock to demo...the only speakers to demo are his top of the line b&w's...i would have to sell my house to afford those...

4. Legairre

I'm using them in a ht setup in my basement as well. You can see my setup in my link below. The pics are a little out dated but you'll get the idea. I'm also using a FP setup with a 104" screen. I also ordered the LCR center but it won't be here until Monday.

Also right now I'm using my current JBL surrounds and I might upgrade those soon as well. As for my sub I run dual 250 watt subs for the LFE, but only for HT, so for 2 channel music I only use s10 which have a lot of bass when run as large for 2 channel.

5. raymond caputo

very cool setup...i am months away to completion...i too will get the lcr center...what do you think of the sfx for sides and rear?? i see that you have the jbl surrounds ceiling mounted...i would like to do that with the sfx...i'm still reviewing fp's...prices seem to be coming down as new models appear...thanks for all the input

6. Legairre

Several people over at the Axiom forum that have MA speakers(s8 & 8i) feel that the Axiom surrounds http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.html are a better speaker for less money than the MA sfx. Both are a bipolar
    or dipoles speaker and people say that the MA surrounds match tonally with their MA speakers. I think I may try a pair for my side surrounds for a more diffuse sound field, because right now I have direct radiating speakers for the sides and center backs. I'd never use a bipolar speaker for the center backs though, so I'd just keep the JBL for the center backs and replace the sides with the Axioms. Also you get 30 days to try them out and if you don't like them your only out the shipping and there's a shipping warehouse in Buffalo NY so the charge shouldn't be too much.

What amp or receiver are you planning on driving the s10 with?

7. raymond caputo

i got a great deal on a pioneer elite vsx-56txi and the dv-59avi..thanks for the tip..i will check out the axiom website...so far i was only able to check out the receiver with an old pair of bose speakers that i had stored in my basement....didn't sound bad at low levels...so hopefully i will be a happy camper...thanks again for all your help..i will let you know how it all comes together..

8. Legairre

Anytime and good luck.[​IMG]