SWAN speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Burklund, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

I see that a few people recommend the Swan 6.1 speakers. Priced at $899/pair...not bad.
    Whos got Swans?
    What do you think about them?

2. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I've got the 2.1's and the C3 center channel. I have posted several reviews of these speakers but I will sum it up.

They are with out a doubt...awesome. Pefect for HT and music. They seem to be living in the shadow of the Rockets and haven't gotten a lot of attention lately...but they are well worth the price.

If your like me and you want the best your "budget" can buy. The Black Cherry faux finish they offer is nothing short of a steal. I have compared mine to some VERY expensive Paradigm and B&W speakers and the Swans perform just as good if not better in some areas.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have 4.1 mains, 2.1 surrounds, and a C3 center. They are amazing speakers and probably the most bang-for-buck i've seen. If you're mainly doing HT then 5.2s would be sufficient and probably a better match for the C3 center. If you're going to do alot of 2ch music w/out a sub then I would go w/ the 6.1s. The black cherry finish makes these speakers an absolute steal at the prices they're available for.

4. Burklund

so the 6.1s wouldnt match up as well with the center channel?

5. DavidCooper

Well the will...but the 5.2 is the closest match to the C3 in the line.

I have the 2.1's and they sound seamless with the C3....but the 5.2 has the same size dedicated midrange as the C3.

I think all the Swan speakers will blend well with the C3...it's just the 5.2 is technically pretty much the exact match.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Exactly what David said... they all match very well, but the 5.2s are pretty much as close as you can get w/ out having identical speakers.

7. Jon Lane

Jon Lane Stunt Coordinator

If I may, I'd propose asking rather how many systems have perfectly matched centers with identical drivers and crossovers to the mains.

It's not that the other Swan models don't timbre-match the C3...it's that excepting the cabinets, the 5.2's are virtually identical to the C3. [​IMG]

8. Colin Goddard

Colin Goddard Stunt Coordinator

Burkland

I'm also interested in the Swan 6.1, but were did you see the price for $899? I just looked at theaudioinsider.com site and they had them listed at $1299. Am I missing something?

Colin

9. Jon Lane

Hi Colin, we have two versions of each model, the original genuine Rosewood and the newer Faux Black Cherry, a simulated-wood vinylwrap.

You are correct: The 6.1 is $1299 in Rosewood, and $899 in Faux Black Cherry (BC).

10. Colin Goddard

Colin Goddard Stunt Coordinator

Jon,

Thanks for the correction. $899 sounds like a great deal on the 6.1. I might be able to seriously look at the Swan's sooner than I expected. [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Colin

11. Burklund

audio insider....are they Swan? or do they just sell Swan speakers?

unless I'm mistaken the faux 6.1 are "out of stock". What is the wait for a pair?

12. Burklund

so what would it take to have an exact matching center speaker to go with the 6.1?

could the components be upgraded to match?
    Is it possible to have Swan custom make it?

13. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I seriously doubt you could have it customer built. There's really no reason to anyway. The difference will be negligible and I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in blind testing, so it's really not all that important (if they weren't timbre matched it would be a different story).

14. DavidCooper

yeah..you have to keep in mind they are indeed timbre matched. The 2.1's have the same drivers and tweeters. All of the Swan speakers are going to blend nicely with the C3...it really shouldnt be a concern.

15. Jon Lane

We're going to be restocking in mid-late August and are already selling out. We are taking reservations for products so as to ensure availability as best we can.

16. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I have the 6.1's with the C3 and R3 surrounds. No sub yet. (PB1+ or PB2+ soon [​IMG]).

I can tell you that the 6.1's are seamless with the C3. They are absolutely awesome. Not sure where you are located, but if you are in my area you are more than welcome to drop by and give them a listen.

Just drop me a line.

17. Burklund

Tony Wright,

I was checking out your setup and read where you needed higher current than what your Yamaha was providing.
    Please explain that.
    In in Virginia....where are you?

18. DavidCooper

Hey Tony...what do you think of those R3's? Also, how do you have them placed in your room etc?

thanks

19. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

The Yammie was a stellar receiver. It just wasn't as high current as the H/K. The Swans really sing with high current receiver/poweramp.

First please understand that I don't have a sub in my setup yet. With the Yammie I wasn't getting any bass response at all. I spoke with Jon Lane over at TAI and he suggested a number of amps that would drive the Swans quite well. NAD, Rotel, B&K, Outlaw and H/K were all brands we discussed. The H/K was most accessable for me. When I ran the Swans with the H/K all of my bass was there.

That said, if you are running a subwoofer in your setup and you like to use a subwoofer in line when listening to music then, in my opinion, the Yammie would be an outstanding reciever.

Do you have a receiver yet or are you in the market. If you don't yet have one, you should check out onecall.com and look up the Harman/Kardon AVR 7200. That is H/K's previous flagship receiver that used to sell for $1800+. One call has been clearing them out for around $800. A HUGE savings.

I'm positive that Jon Lane would have a great deal of information on the subject of amplification for the Swans. The bottom line is really that the Swans are quite snesitive so the don't require a ton of power, but they will really sing with high current amplification. In fact if you check out the forum over at TAI he mentions running the 6.1's on 8 watts. Interesting. He was quite helpful for me.

I am in Texas so it looks as though the audition won't work out, Sorry about that [​IMG].

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Tony

20. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I have really enjoyed the R3's. I have a very strange room setup. I have them sitting on stands that are 24" or 26" high. Can't quite remember the height. The reason for this is that one of the walls that one of the R3's is sitting on is only about 4.5' tall and opens into a kitchen. Ideally I would have mounted the speakers up higher on the walls.

They sound great though. They have startled my wife on several occasions. She just doesn't expect to hear sounds that clearly right behind her or next to her. It's great fun to watch movies with them.

Tony