Swan owners...opinions needed please.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brandon*H, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Brandon*H

Brandon*H Auditioning

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to put together my first HT and can't decide which Swan speakers to get for a 5.1 setup. This is going into a small living room approximately 14'L x 12'W x 8'H with the sofa about 6" away from the back wall. Should i go with:

1. 2.1 all around w/ C3 or...
    2. 5.2 up front w/ C3 and 2.1 or R3

Basically would the 5.2 be too much (if there is such a thing) for the size of the room? What rears would be better for my situation, 2.1 or R3? This would be for 60% movies and 40% music along with most likely a Yamaha 5760 and SVS PB10.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

That sounds like a small room.

If you put the surrounds (2.1s) in the back corners, how far away will they be from the "listeners"?

When you say "40% music", do you mean 40% SACD/DVDA or 40% CD?

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would say the 2.1s and a good sub would be plenty in that room unless you plan on doing your music listening with the sub turned off. If I were in your position I would go w/ 2.1s all around w/ the C3. This gives you the ability to upgrade the mains to 5.2s or 6.1s on down the road and use all 4 2.1s in the back for a perfectly matched rear sound stage as well as beefier mains when needed.

If you do decide you want a bigger main speaker for music listening w/ no sub then go with the 6.1. The 5.2 doesn't have the same low end (less than the smaller 4.1 even) and is really aimed at HT w/ the added benefit of better sub blending (lower crossover point) and is known for its superb matching with the C3. The 6.1 is the model that really shines w/ 2ch music and no sub. It has very low response for a main speaker as well as very clear vocals and a slightly warmer midrange. While still a very good match to the C3 it's not the spot-on match of the 5.2s.

4. Brandon*H

Brandon*H Auditioning

Rob: The listeners would be about 3' away from the surrouds and would mostly be cd's with a few sacd.

Stephen: I think I will go with 2.1s all around for now and see how they perform. Like you said, I can always order the 5.2 or 6.1 later down the road if needed.

Well thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

5. john_FE

john_FE Stunt Coordinator

Hi Brandon. I just received my 2.1's and you wil be surprised how big they are. I think you'll be fine. I went with 5.2's because my 16x20 otherwise I would have stuck with the 2.1's.

They sure are pretty too. I love the tweeter on top of the piano black finish.

6. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I agree with Stephen, the 2.1's all around would be a sweet setup.

Tony

7. Jon Lane

Jon Lane Stunt Coordinator

Very true. Sometimes, due to it's price, the 2.1 gets compared to little 5.25" satellites, but it's a large 6.5" two-way, and can move some air...

8. Jon Lane

Jon Lane Stunt Coordinator

By the way, are you guys talking Rosewood 2.1's or Faux Black Cherry 2.1's? I may have something developing for all of you 5-channel 2.1 Rosewood guys... [​IMG]

9. Brandon*H

Brandon*H Auditioning

Thank you guys for all the info and suggestions.

Jon: I was talking about the BC's, but if you may have something coming up in Rosewood than i would surely hold off a little while and save for this.[​IMG]

10. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

For now I have the 2.1's with the C3 up front in a fairly large room. My living room is about 15.5' wide by 25' long with a vaulted ceiling that runs from 8' to about 12'...and let me say that the those 2.1's paird up with my SVS 20-39PC+ fill the room VERY nicely. You will be amazed how good those speakers are.

I kind of want the 5.2's.....but I really think rounding my system out with all 2.1's and the C3 in a 7.1 set-up will be a VERY nice system at a VERY good price. Not to mention I would have all identical speakers (except for the C3) all the way around. The only difference with the C3 is the dedicated midrange and the 2 drivers. The drivers are the same size used in the 2.1's though...so really they are a great match IMO.

11. john_FE

john_FE Stunt Coordinator

Well I got my 5.2's today. They are alot bigger than I thought. I was shocked that my wife didnt explode but she actually things they looked nice!

They are tall though, tall and gorgeous. If my pioneer wasnt hosed perhaps I could listen to them : (

12. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Yeah, they are really big (which is why I want a 24" 5.2), but they are also "slender" which makes for a high(er) WAF.

Ha ha, when I first got my 5.2s, the neighbor thought I was out to kill some people - I had four coffins (5.2 shipping boxes) in the garage. I dont think I saw him for two weeks after that. [​IMG]