Swan floor standers: Whats the best value for your $$$

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by chrisLoehr, Sep 20, 2004.

1. chrisLoehr

chrisLoehr Auditioning

i did a quick search and didnt really find what i was looking for. after some good advice from you guys hear i have decided that i am probably going to end up buying my HT system in pieces to get the best products. i have decided i will probably try out the swans. my question is what is the best floor standing speaker they have for the money. they have the 4.1 5.2 and 6.1. and being pretty much a novice at some point in this series i will probably not be able to tell a difference in sound that warrants spending the extra 150 bucks to get the next best model. at this point i figured i would probably go for the 5.2 just because its in the middle. any opinions on whether the 4.1 would be fine or if its worth it and much better sound to go all the way and get the 6.1? thanks for any opinions.

chris

2. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I have the 6.1's, but I chose those because I listen to a lot of music. I think many people choose the 5.2's because they are an exact match to the C3 as the center. As far as justifying the cost difference, I'm not sure I can do that for you. If you are thinking that the extra money is not worth it, then just go with the lesser model. I doubt you will be all that concerned with it after the purchase. I have not read a single post from someone who has purchased the 5.2's and disliked them. I think you would really enjoy them.

Hope this helps...

Tony

3. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

Tony - does this comment mean that matching a pair of 6.1s with a C3 is a bad idea, or just that the 5.2s are a better match?

I'll be posting a much broader question in a little while (a couple of weeks maybe), but this is a good place to start!

Thanks

4. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

The 6.1's with the C3 sound awesome. I watch a ton of movies with this system and I couldn't be more pleased with it's performance. The only reason I suggested going with the 5.2's was because the poster seemed hesitant to spend the extra money on the 6.1's. Also, because of all the posts I have read, it seems like people choose the 5.2's due to the fact that they are a perfect match to the C3. The whole series of speakers is outstanding and any of them would work great for theater or music use. I think you would be very pleased with any of them.

Tony

5. Jon Lane

Jon Lane Stunt Coordinator

Please forgive a bit of shameless self-promotion, but a customer recently wrote us about his 5.2 purchase and I'd like to share his observations in order to help answer the OP's question:

"The speakers sound very good - they approximate the sound of the JM Labs Chorus/Cobalt line that I liked so much and also remind me a bit of Monitor Audio Gold 60/20 and B&W 803/703. Terrific imaging very clear sound without being too bright."

Personally, I find the 5.2 to be the primary HT-centric model in Swan's line, and I usually recommend it for lots of HT output when used with an active sub.

The venerable 6.1, on the other hand, is the more "ample" speaker, with deeper bass and a more classic, rounder sound. It's 2-channel roots are apparent.

/Commercial off/ [​IMG]

6. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses, Jon and Tony. I'll be posting a new thread on my specific setup questions in just a bit!

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have the 4.1s upfront w/ a C3 and 2.1s in the back. If given to do over again I probably would have done 2.1s all around (w/ a C3) and then upgraded to 5.2s later to fill out a 7.1 system. Now I would have to sell my 4.1s to upgrade to 5.2s and still have only a 5.1 system. Hopefully I'll be upgrading to 5.2s (or something similar) soon. If you listen to alot of 2ch the 6.1s may be worth it, but for the pure HT the 5.2s seem to be the way to go because of their near perfect timbre match w/ the C3.

8. chrisLoehr

chrisLoehr Auditioning

i want to thank you all for your experiences and opinions. i believe for myself the 5.2s sound like my best choice, especially since im 95% HT.

9. john_FE

john_FE Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chris,

I actually just got off the phone with Jon Lane before. He is great to ask questions to. You can also check the website:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com

For myself, its the 5.2 Depending on the size of your room you could do the 2.1's and a monster sub. The 6.1's look awesome and would be my choice If I wanted primarily music and HT. Since I have a kid on the way, and a wicked WAF, Im going with the 5.2's which are about as perfect as a match with the C3 as you will find.

10. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Stephen,

What about using your 4.1's as the surrounds and the 2.1's as the surround back speakers? Then add the 5.2's as your mains. I suppose that might be a bit of overkill, but you wouldn't have to get rid of your 4.1's then.

I could swear I read a post somewhere about someone using 3 pairs of 6.1's in a 7 channel system. If that isn't overkill, I don't know what is. [​IMG] NO offense to anyone out there who actually did this...

Tony

11. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Well right now I don't have the room for 7.1. The 4.1s would be a large amount overkill for surrounds and would look a bit out of place in the back. When I do go 7.1 i'll want a completely matched back sound stage. Those are the main reasons I'll probably not use the 4.1s as surrounds and when I upgrade probably sell them and go w/ 5.2s or something similar.