Swan Diva 6.1 Speakers sound like....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Nov 27, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I'm exhausted after skimming a zillion posts on AVS and have searched HTF for an answer but I still haven't read any posts which compare tonally the Diva 6.1 speakers to another more easily demoable speaker. So, what do the 6.1 Divas sound like? NHT 3.3s? B&Ws? Energy Veritas? Dynaudio Contours? Sonus Faber Grand Pianos? Aerial 8Bs? Metal Trashcans(just kidding on this one)?

Can someone who has these speakers please let us know what these speakers can be equivalently compared to?

Finally, does anyone in the Houston area have these speakers and want to demo them?

Thanks!

2. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Not exactly what you are after, but a start.

I read on AVS Forum that they used B&W & Paradigm as a starting point for their designs. So, if that is true (I don't know if it is) then you can expect them to sound something like some of the models in the B&W and/or Paradigm product lineup.

3. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

John, a new user (JMMHouston) from Houston just posted on the AVS Diva post about his 6.1's. You may want to e-mail or send him a PM there to see if he's willing to demo. Too bad SA where I live is 3 hours drive away. [​IMG]
    PF

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Poming: thanks for the tip on John from Houston. In the meantime, I might be heading your way, to take you up on your demo offer... if somehow Penn State ends up in the Alamo Bowl. [​IMG]

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Assuming that the Diva's use a similarly sized sealed

enclosure for the midrange then I can say they should

sound identicle if not very close to my AR9's do.

Both my AR9's and the Diva's use HiVi-Research's

Hemispherical Magnesium-Aluminum Midrange and to

me they produce very pronounced vocals and do a

splendid job on strung and wind instruments.

I can't vouch for what the tweeter sounds like

because I beleive the Diva's use an aluminum

tweeter from Hi-Vi where as my AR9's use a

pure titanium and I haven't found the manufacturer

of my tweeter yet (it may be made by AR)

The Diva's look like a great speaker and I am sure

they sound very smooth with Jazz/Classical/New Age/

Instrumental.

6. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

The Diva 6.1's have a less rolled-off treble than the Danes (Audience), but they're sweeter and a bit more airy on the top end than the Paradigm Studio Series or B&W CDMs.

While I'm sure there's something out there that sounds very much like the 6.1's throughout the entire spectrum, I just haven't come across it during my various auditions. Based upon what I have heard, the closest description I can come up with is to say the 6.1's sound much like a Paradigm Studio 100 or a CDM 9NT with a silk tweeter.

(BTW, the 6.1's use a silk dome tweeter and a kevlar/pulp midrange driver with a phase plug.)

I live in Northern KY, if anyone is near and wants to hear them feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I have a pair of 6.1's, 4.1's, and a C-3 center.

7. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

I would also be interested in a Diva demonstration in Houston. I have Paradigm Studio 40's (main+surr), Studio/CC, and a PW-2200 that will eventually become the bedroom HT, and am considering the Diva's for a new living room HT.

8. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I had narrowed it down to the Studio 100's and N803's.

I think the 6.1's sound very similar to the N803's, but since I have never heard them side by side, I will never know for sure. I'm actually happy to have been spared that decision as I am very pleased with the performance of the Diva's. BTW, Walt is correct in his description of the midrange and tweeter.

Russ

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

WaltN,

Which Swans am I describing? I know they are a tower with

a D'Apolitto arangement. I read some info at thier site a

while back but I can not recall the model. I know that the

one's I am talking about use Hi-Vi's Mag drivers and Hi-Vi's

Alum tweeter mounted outside the cabinent (on the top)

A very nice looking set of speakers for sure..

10. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

John, didn't know it was going to be Penn, I thought it would be A&M vs Iowa State or something. Anyway you've got mail.

PF

11. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Brett,
    I'm stumped as to which Swans speakers you saw. If it were a D'Appolito design it would be an MTM vs. tweeter on top and there are some Hi-Vi Dulcet speakers like that, but they have silk or ribbon tweets.
    Here's the link for the various Hi-Vi speakers http://www.swanspeaker.com click on the speaker photo gallery for the various lines and models.

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Brett,you being confused I think.

D'Apolito configuration puts the tweeter between the 2 midranges/bass drivers.Since all Diva speakers house the tweeter on top in the separate enclosure,it doesen't fit the bill for the speaker you describe.

And yes it does use German silk for the tweeter.

13. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

14. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Brett, sorry to sound like I'm beating a dead horse :b but I think you mean the 5.1's and the 4.1's use the mag/alum mids. The 6.1's use mag/alum woofers and kevlar/paper mid-drivers with a phase plug.