What's new

Swan 2.1 vs. B&W 601? (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone done this comparison?

I'm considering using 601s all-around in my coming-soon theater. I'm wondering how the Swan compares?

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I have read that you can almost not tell the difference...I don't know though because I never listened to 601s.....I just bought some 2.1s like 2 or 3 months back along with the C3 and R2 surrounds.....The package sounds really amazing for the money...Not to mention the speakers are beautiful the photos on the website dont do them justice.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I would do the Swans or also look at the Onix Rocket series at av123.com. For the money either would serve you fine and you would be happy.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I thought the Swans were a brighter speaker - and the B&W 601s were a bit more laid back with the sound. Am I wrong with this assumption? For me, the 601s are too laid back. I like something with a little more life to it.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
In my opinion you've got that reversed. I thought the 601s were brighter (but not overly bright) and the 2.1s are very neutral with minimal coloration. I've done a side by side comparisson of my Swans 2.1s w/ B&W 601s, CDM1s, and 805s at a local dealer. The guy I know who works there agreed that the 2.1s sounded better than both the 601s and CDM1s, having more controlled highs and a less fatiguing sound. We both also thouthg they were EXTREMELY close to the SQ of the 805s with the 805s having a bit wider soundstage and slightly better imaging. I didn't tell him how much the 2.1s cost until after the demo, he didn't beleive me until i showed him the website.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
The cost of the Swans makes them compelling. In addition, buying stands and/or brackets for the 2.1s is pricier than I thought it would be (why are stands >$100/pr again??)

So, I'm thinking of:

4.1s for mains
C3 for center
R3 for surrounds
2.1 for surround backs (may add now, or later- undecided)

Room is 13X18. Surrounds will likely be placed at 90*, directly to the sides of the viewing position. I can't go back any further, due to a doorway.

Does this seem reasonable? Or, should I really stick to the 2.1s all around, or at least in the L/C/R and surround back positions (can I buy 5??)

Oh, probably going BC, since they'll be in a dark room, anyway.

Todd

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2.1's all the way around with the C3 center and they sound awesome!

I'm just about to buy a pair of R3's to put as side surrounds and move my other 2.1's to the rear. I will still keep the 2.1's for mains though.

The cool thing about this set-up is that all speakers will have the exact same drivers with the exception of the C3 that has the additional midrange. Other than that they all have the same midwoofer/tweeter combo. That is about as close as you can get for timbre matching IMO.

I have my current system in a fairly large room (16'x 25') with a 12' ceiling and no back wall. Large openings to the rest of the house as well and those 2.1's fill the room VERY nicely. Paired up with my SVS 20-39 PC+ and powered by a parasound amp I couldn't see how adding towers would make THAT much of a difference especially for the price.

We are about to move into a new house and it's living room is a bit more HT friendly. It has a nice back wall...thus the reason I'm going to try the R3's for sides and move those 2.1's to the rear. Hopefully I'll enjoy the dipole surround thing!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
You should indeed enjoy that dipole sound on movies.. I only run a 5.1 system but went from large towers on all fours back to dipoles in the back as I missed them so much. When I listen to music in this room which is rarely and usually like a DVD concert or something I like all the music up front anyway. Every ones taste is different as well as the room though...

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I could care less about DVD-A or SCAD. It will die out soon anyway. I enjoy my music in good old fashioned 2-channel mode. I have a 2 channel only set up in my home office for music so my HT is 100% HT.

But, I'm very curious to see how the dipoles sound!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Well dipoles sound different there is no doubt about it but those shooting bullets that fly all over or an airplane flying by on a movie can be very sweet with them. Ther other thing though you have to think about too is they are just like any other speaker and choose them wisely after doing research and better if you can find someone to let you listen to the brands you are considering to buy... I don't know what your budget is but if your doing strictly internet you should narrow down to a couple and order both and eat the return shipping on the one you don't care for. All give you a 30 day money back... It costs a bit more but your saving a lot in the long run by buying this way. Plus then you will never wonder well "what if I got this one or that one". We all have different ears and rooms and such. Myself I found I liked the Rockets the best.. Others have found they like Axiom or Ascend or Swan.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,

Consider the 5.2s for mains instead of the 4.1s or stay with 2.1s cuz' those 2 have the same woofer size as the C3 center. Just a thought. Happy hunting...

Al,

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
5.2s are more than I wanted to spend on Mains. This room will see very little music-alone play, so I don't feel the need to pony up for "all that."
I had considered the woofer size, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks