SW21 errors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Franklin, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I am tring to get my Dish 500 system to work. Every time select a 110 sat. channel it says a problem was detected with the switch. I figure if there was a problem with the switch the 110 channesl wouldnt show up at all. Please help!
    ------------------

2. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

Mike, a couple of questions...
    1.) What is your signal strength from each satellite?
    2.) When you do a test on the switch, which segments for the 110 satellite have x's; even, odd, or both?
    3.) How long is the coax between your IRD and the switch?
    4.) What type of coax do you use, RG6 or something else?
    5.) How many barrel connectors (or wall jacks) are there?
    6.) Do you use an in-line amplifier?
    I have had similar problems. I may be able to help.
    ------------------
    Jeff Loughridge
    Director of Engineering
    WPGC/WHFS
    Infinity Broadcasting Corp
    [email protected]

3. Mike Franklin

The signal strength is above 90% and when I chack the the Swith for the 110 it will some times say 110 odd but now it wont say either. Im using RG6 coax at 75ohms and it s about 3ft between the swithc and the lnb's and then its about 20 feet between the multi-swith and then I have it splitt between two recievers in the house it a small house so the cable runs are short and there is no amp used cause when i was using just the 119 sat I was getting 97% signal. I hope this is enough info for you.
    ------------------

4. Jeff Loughridge

The SW21 should feed only one receiver. Assuming you have the standard Dish 500 with two dual LNB's, the other pair of LNB outputs (110 and 119) and their SW21 should feed the second receiver.
    After the multiswitch, what are you using to split the signal to the two receivers?
    Or...do you take the two SW21 outputs and feed them to a multi-receiver (4 or more) switch?
    [Edited last by Jeff Loughridge on July 13, 2001 at 02:10 PM]

5. Mike Franklin

I have an older one not the new one with the dual single lnb but the dual dual lnb and i us the multi switch to split the signal to the second reciever. You are right I dont truley need the multi swith but I had bought it to use a my mothers house but end up not using it, so i just used it. I do have two switch 21's in use for the dual dual lnbs because it is nessesary for them the combine the 110 and 119 signals.

6. Jeff Loughridge

Ok. I wasn't sure if the multiswitch you were talking about was the sw21, or if you had an additional switch to feed multiple receivers.
    With your signal strength, I have to assume you have an open shot to the bird. I have a similar problem when my dish is obstructed. I tried mounting it in several places, with varying degrees of success, but that is the same symptom I get on occasion.
    I suggest you check each of your outdoor connections as well. If the connectors aren't outdoor type, with the small rubber gasket inside, you will have oxidation and erosion of the inner conductor from the dc voltages present. That wiull cause similar problems.
    I would also go to a commercial cable supply house, like Anicom, and buy a weatherproofing kit for 7/8" heliax. It comes with tape and a black "putty" to seal the connections. Wrap the whole connector (male and female) and about 1" of coax with tape, then mold some of the putty around it, then wrap that with tape. That will provide a watertight seal, and the first layer of tape makes it easier to remove if you need to disconnect it for some reason.

7. Allen Head

Allen Head Auditioning

Mike , Do you have it wired like this with two multi-switches ? (one for each satellite ,example 110,119)
    Goto the link (below) and scroll down to the seventh wiring diagram, if you are using multiswitches and SW-21's for two satellite positions this is how it must be wired to function properly.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alzma/page3.html
    Note: this wiring diagram is for four receivers pulling from two satellites, if you are only wanting two receivers leave the two extra SW-21's off and add later if you want one or two more receivers.
    ------------------
    J. Allen Head
    [Edited last by Allen Head on July 14, 2001 at 08:27 PM]

8. Mike Franklin

Too answer some of your questions:
    1: There is a huge tree some what in the line of fire but here shortly it will be getting cut down.
    2: The two SW21's are out side and I hadnt thought about wheater proofing them which i should do here shortly. The reason for them being outside is when I was just using Dish 300 I already hade two line ran for the dual lnb and didnt what to have to redesign the how thing, it made it simpler just to leave them out side but the multi switch is in the basement.
    3: I do not have to multi switches just 1. I could take it out if would make things better, its not nessecary.

9. Mike Franklin

Well Fellas I played around with it for about and hour this morning. And this is what I have found out.
    1: You were right that the 119 sat was on the 110 lnb. I used the aluminum foyal to cover up the 110 lnb and then repostioned the sat with out the switch.
    2: I did the swith test next and this time the results were 110 even,110 odd,X,119 odd. I had all the channels on the Sat comming in. So I checked to see if all the channels were working, Yes and No. All of the 110 channels were working great!, No, cause all of the 119 channels were not all working namely the super stations ch. 232-239. These are channels I watch about 90% of the time, so this was not a good thing. So I did another swith test and this time the results were 110 even,X,X,119 odd, which wasnt good at all because then I had lost most of my programing.
    3: Finally I have come to the conclussion that part of the problem is the large rotting tree in my front yard. In a few weeks this will not be a problem any more so until that time I will not mess with it again.
    I appreciat all of your help cause it was dead on, Thanks.