SW: Republic Commando for XBox?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Randall Z, Jun 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Randall Z

Randall Z Stunt Coordinator

I just saw the trailer for this game over at the Lucasarts website and it looked cool. I know the site said the game wasn't coming out until 2004. Does anyone know when? Also have any of the features been announced (Xbox live, multiplayer co-op, etc.)?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, nor are we likely to find out much more beyond what's on that page until fall minimum. I would say they'll be showing the game at E3 next year

3. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Live support was announced. It was described as a "gritty first-person shooter" in some reports -- I'm thinking it will be along the lines of a Star Wars 'Counter-Strike" or "Ghost Recon". . .

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Well, old thread, but better than starting a new one.

Played the demo this weekend, which was a small (SMALL) chunk of one level. I rarely purchase the OXM...the last demo I bought it for was Panzer Dragoon Orta [​IMG] So, in short, this games premise was enough to get me to want to taste it.

I'm a pretty big fans of SW games, mostly the vehicular ones [​IMG] I even tried out the Battlefront demo (from the DVDs) this weekend as well, but its controls sucked. Along with its gameplay [​IMG]

SW:RC did not. Excellent graphics and intuitive controls (especially when customized). I frankly enjoyed it quite a bit more than what I've played of Ghost Recon 2. One of the rare SW games that seems able to be good without the attached license.

A few quick details:

Official Website

IGN section with Previews, News, etc

In short, it's more military than Star Wars, except for the very familiar sound effects and music. You control the sqaud leader, responsible for your team of 4 commandos (including you). They each have specific skills, but controlling them is only necessary for specific tasks. Otherwise, they fight on their own. It's also fairly intuitive to do. Health is handled in a prety unique way. As long as someone is alive, you can all stay alive. The demo only had the main commando weapon, but it's a gooder. Your basic laser sub...rapid fire. It can also be configured into a sniper rifle and a anti-armor grenade launcher (easy to control, once you get used to it). You also have a pistol. Besides the controls, the other strength of the game is the visual/graphics. Far better than most SW games (which often are "good enough"). This isn't even a favorite genre of mine, but I've played the demo three times, and liked the experience every time.

It's tough to get a feel for a game based on ten minutes of playing, of course. But demo made me want to spend the $50 to play it. That it ties into EII and EIII is a nice bonus. But the game itself seems quite worthwhile.

March is looking like a late winter Christmas with this and Devil May Cry 3.

Take care,
    Chuck

5. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator