SW: AOTC and widescreen question?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dan Keliikoa, May 18, 2005.

1. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

[Edit: Resolved...see a few posts down to where I say AHA!!! -Dan]

Hey all,

I just got a new JVC D-ila this morning, and came across an oddity while testing the set with some DVDs.

I tried: SW:TPM, AOTC, LOTR, ROTK, and Shrek. All the movies played like they should except AOTC. Shrek fills the screen like it should, and the LOTR movies and TPM have small black bars like THEY should on top and bottom of screen, but AOTC filled the whole screen no matter what mode I tried (except pan and scan). Weird??? What do you guys think?

AOTC HAS the black bars, because they were there on my Mits 55" WS, and this movie is in the same aspect ratio as the other SW films. Very peculiar. I'll fiddle with it tonight, but if anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it. Am missing some of the picture no matter which mode I switch to...cropping either sides, top/bottom, or all. It's almost like a zoom effect. But the other movies all play without incident.

The set ROCKS! I did a writeup over in Displays as well.

2. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Just to be sure, are you sure you don't have the fullscreen version of AOTC?

(edit: maybe I shouldn't have asked this - you have the WS)

3. Dan Keliikoa

I'm sure, Sam...I even triple checked the box [​IMG]

4. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

It sounds like the disc is improperly flagged.

5. Dan Keliikoa

Like I said...it goes beyond weird, doesn't it? LOL

I'd bet you were right on the DVD flagging...I don't see what else it could be.

6. Dan Keliikoa

AHA!!!!!!!!!!

I got it resolved...jeez it was driving me crazy last night but I finally figured things out.

This was my wife's copy, that she bought (before we met) at blockbuster used...MY copy was upstairs in the kid's room.

The box on hers says WIDESCREEN, but then I looked at the disc label itself...FULL SCREEN. [​IMG]

Duh.

Well, needless to say, I recovered MY copy, popped it in, and was blown away by the quality. Stunning!!

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery, guys.

The Dark Side clouds everything [​IMG]

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'm glad you put in the caveat that your wife bought it before you both met...

[​IMG]

Oh...you should play a "clenser DVD" through your system for a few moment to purge all impurities after accidentally playing a P/S DVD like that...

8. Dan Keliikoa

God, I feel so...dirty (shivers).

Pan and scan is of the Devil.

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

It's ok Dan, you didn't plan it. Things like this happen. You just always want to use protection in the future and don't go blaming yourself. You're a *good person* and the "real you" would never have knowingly watched a P/S copy of that movie. It's ok...the shame will pass, don't let yourself get dragged down into self-doubt...just think positive and plan how *next time* you'll be more careful.

We've all had pasts here on the forum...I wasn't a widescreen virgin when I met DVD (had learned my lesson in college when I had an affair with laserdisc...but that's what college is for...right?). Thankfully I've managed to be faithful since then but I understand how things in life aren't always so simple and I can't go judging other HT enthusiasts by my standards of conduct...got to have grace in this complex world we live in...

Dan,

you need to forgive *yourself* before the healing can begin...

10. Dan Keliikoa

(sobbing)

I know..I know. I'm sorry! I don't how I can ever make it up to my widescreen TV that I debased it with P/S material!

Oh, I'm a wretch! The depravity!!!

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

It's not me you should be talking too...it's that JVC DILA.

You really need to come clean and say your sorry...and explain that it wasn't anything you intended and that it "just happened". The most important thing is to tell your JVC that the P/S DVD *didn't mean anything* to you...that you didn't enjoy the experience and that you felt wrong the whole time and regretted doing it.

That JVC's silky-smooth pixel-free image deserves more. Tell it you *know* that, and that you intend to be a new man and reall satisfy it's OAR needs. Tell it how watching OAR material on it's 16x9 display makes you feel, and how that is so much greater than what you felt watching that P/S DVD. You can do it, and who knows...your relationship with your display might end up being stronger in the long run having gone through, and overcome, this struggle together.

12. Dan Keliikoa

Ok Dave, you got me burst out laughing with that one! [​IMG]