svssubwoofers: I'm a believer!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Bell, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

I apologize in advance to those of you tired of seeing svs post. I got my CS-Ultra yesterday, and all I can say it is everything and more than Tom Vodhanel said it was. He said it should have about the same clean output as the 2 servo-15s I currently own. He was right! The ultra is even calibrated at a lower spl than the 2 servos. For those worried about how the svsubs are with music, stop worrying! They sound great with all types of music. I may very well sell my servos and get another Ultra. Glad to be a new member of the SVS bandwagon!

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Andy, twin servo15s is a serious bass system. Together, they'd likely match or slightly exceed something extremely serious like the HGS18.
    To know that you feel a CS_U can keep up with the twin servos in some regards is very cool.
    TV

3. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    And speaking of music, I watched “Pink Floyds: The Wall” and was blown away with how good the Twin SVS 20-39's performed!!
    SVS Subs are absolutely fantastic with music!!!
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

4. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

I would like to know how a single cs-ultra would fair against the velo HGS18 or the energy ES-XL18.
    Tom V. please give us your thoughts on this.
    -- CUE

5. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Wow that is quite the statement. One ultra is better than 2 servo 15's now that is quite an impressive statement. I was listening to a cherry servo 15 today (cherry sounds better) and it sounded mighty clean and impressive. I wish that the SVS subwoofers were better priced for the Canadian market, because it is kind of irritating to see the price once the currency conversion is taken into consideration. This price factor is what is leading me towards the servo 15 which is built in Canada which allows me to get a better price.
    Aaron

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It's a good thing I found this thread, otherwise I would have had to start yet another SVS thread... [​IMG]
    Anyhow, here's a riddle: what's better than a SVS 20-39CS, and what did I just experience last night? TWO SVS 20-39CS subs!
    I got to experience DUAL SVS 20-39CSs in a room last night. And what an experience! Here's the scoop: I've had a SVS 29-39CS since September. My HT friend at work also got one a few months ago. His room is about twice the size and probably triple the volume of my room, and he was having some trouble with his sub bottoming out on loud bass passages (beginning of Toy Story 2 for example). So, he had me bring my sub over to his house last night and we wired everything up for a dual setup (both subs in the same corner of the room as recommended by S&V themselves). We calibrated everything, then threw in The Haunting-DTS. WHOA... I think the structural integrity of his house has been compromised. The subs were clean, clear, and LOUD even with the obscene amount of sub-20hz LFE in that flick. About the only unwanted noise we heard was the shelves, pictures, objects on shelves, and windows rattling. [​IMG] In fact, my friend had to stand guard next to one of his shelves because a glass plate & some pictures kept threatening to jump off! Now THAT's some serious rumbling! We also demoed the beginning of Toy Story 2, which would distort in his room with a single sub. Nothing but loud, clean, clear bass with 2 subs.
    Now I think I know what his next upgrade is going to be!! Now I'm off to the dentist to get my fillings replaced that where knocked loose by the dual SVS cannons... [​IMG]
    KJP

7. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Andy, Kevin,
    Thanks for the stories. Usually people e-mail this stuff but rest assured we LOVE to hear it, mostly because this feedback confirms the sort of guidance we give future customers. Measuring subs is critical but in the end the reports from the field are key to confirming your beliefs.
    The dual sub scenario is perhaps most illustrative. Big rooms require BIGGER subwoofer capacity, and while they are the best performers on the market in their price classes, SVS's do have limits. Limits that demanding users, in demanding rooms can discover.
    When in doubt, about your room size/shape and or your appetite for theater level sound, get twin subs is what we tell folks (or now with the CS-Ultra, one if budget and space are key considerations).
    Thanks again. We never tire of hearing how our subs just improved another HT.
    Ron

8. Tom Vodhanel

>>>I would like to know how a single cs-ultra would fair against the velo HGS18> or the energy ES-XL18.>Wow that is quite the statement. One ultra is better than 2 servo 15's now that is quite an impressive statement.>> I was listening to a cherry servo 15 today (cherry sounds better) and it sounded mighty clean and impressive.>I wish that the SVS subwoofers were better priced for the Canadian market, because it is kind of irritating to see the price once the currency conversion is taken into consideration. This price factor is what is leading me towards the servo 15 which is built in Canada which allows me to get a better price.
    Aaron

9. Tom Vodhanel

>>>I would like to know how a single cs-ultra would fair against the velo HGS18> or the energy ES-XL18.>Wow that is quite the statement. One ultra is better than 2 servo 15's now that is quite an impressive statement.>> I was listening to a cherry servo 15 today (cherry sounds better) and it sounded mighty clean and impressive.>I wish that the SVS subwoofers were better priced for the Canadian market, because it is kind of irritating to see the price once the currency conversion is taken into consideration. This price factor is what is leading me towards the servo 15 which is built in Canada which allows me to get a better price.
    Aaron

10. Tom Vodhanel

edit:
    my original post appears--
    TV
    [Edited last by Tom Vodhanel on August 17, 2001 at 05:55 PM]

11. Dennis Buck

Dennis Buck Auditioning

I was present for Kevin's Dual SVS test and all I can say is WOW!
    Upon hearing a single SVS, my opinion was "It doesn't get much better than this." Needless to say, my opinion has changed.
    In that bigger room, the second sub made a huge difference.

12. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

Just ordered dual 20-39's...I'm also ready to believe! My neighbors are probably hoping it's just a myth...

13. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I recieved my 20-39cs a couple of weeks ago to go with my Servo 15 and after 20 or so DVD's I would say that the 20-39 is keeping up with the Servo in my large room.This has been a great addition to my HT setup. Keep up the good work SVS!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------

14. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

What would be better than having eight SVS 46/16 subs? Why, eight CS-Ultra subs, of course!
    Hey, Tom...Ron, please let me know about the route that 18-wheeler will be taking when hauling them CS-Ultras to Canada 'cus I'll rustling 'em! Son, git me 'em twines... [​IMG]
    -THTS

15. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Hey, Canadians... shut the (censored) up! [​IMG]
    First look at what it costs to ship an SVS to Finland and then if you still feel warranted in whining about cost then go right ahead. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

16. Dennis Buck

Dennis Buck Auditioning

I think Tom is complaining about the price of the sub after it is converted into Canadian $$, not the shipping cost.
    BTW: I still don't know how you guys come down here to New England for vacation, with the exchange rate so upside-down right now.

17. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Aaron,
    quote: I wish that the SVS subwoofers were better priced for the Canadian market, because it is kind of irritating to see the price once the currency conversion is taken into consideration. This price factor is what is leading me towards the servo 15 which is built in Canada which allows me to get a better price.[/quote]
    When I last checked/calculated, the SVS CS-Ultra would likely be in the CDN$2000 range (after all brokerage fees, taxes, etc.). For comparison, if you can get a very good deal on the Paradigms, a pair of Servo 15 may be had for around CDN$2400 plus 14% taxes...a total of CDN$2736. So if you can get an amp for under CDN$700, the SVS CS-Ultra is basically the same price as a pair of Servo 15....all assuming that you can get a Servo 15 for CDN$1200 each before taxes.
    IMO, I would definately go with the SVS CS-Ultra over a pair of Servo 15.....I am a bit biased since I wasn't FULLY satisfied with the Servo 15 in my 2 hour long dealer demo (with the Denon AVR-4800 and Paradigm Reference speakers -- a similar setup to mine).
    Too bad that I don't have the cash on hand right now. Also, apartment living is not very sub-friendly (already have dual Mission 700AS and one warning [​IMG]).
    Dave
    [Edited last by DavidY on August 18, 2001 at 10:56 AM]

18. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

A 2 hour long demo, wow where do you get that kind of treatment?
    Aaron

19. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Aaron,
    Last year at J&A Stereo in Prince George...just passing through. The sales rep that I was dealing with wanted CDN$1350 plus taxes for the Servo 15. A week later, a friend got a better quote on the phone from the same place (same sales rep I was told). I wasn't at all happy with that....the next time, I will only deal directly with the owner, or I will go elsewhere.
    Dave