Svs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bry_DD, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I have an old prologic receiver collecting dust and I thought of using this for 25-31. It's an old Sony STRD515 rated 170w X 5 with an impedence of 8-16. Would this be ok to use for this sub? thanks for any help.

Bry

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Yup, it'll work.

Pay attention to it when you get loud. Check and see how hot it gets, and how fast. Listen for distress.

It may shut down when pushed, but the SV doesn't need a ton of juice anyway.

After an hour or so, it all seems cool, forget about it and enjoy.

- C

3. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

Thanks for the help Colins. Also Does it matter where you hook up the sub like the main, center or surround of the receiver? thanks again-->bry

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Use a main. Usually you use the left or right CD input for the RCA cable carrying the LFE.

Have fun!

5. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Bry,

That receiver can do 4 Ohms, right?

I have a Kenwood 100 Watt stereo receiver powering my SVS, and it works great. I will be replacing it with an amp, eventually.

-Dean-

6. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

Don't know i it does 4 ohms Dean.. All I know is it says 8-16 ohms. Hopefully it'll work till I get a better amp for it...

Bry

7. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

It should handle one channel @4ohms. Just watch it carefully for a few days as you test it and see if it shuts down on bass heavy material. If it does, then back off the gain on the Sony a little bit. Also, make sure to calibrate all your speakers properly, including the sub. Most problems when using old DPL or stereo receivers come from people running their subs >5dBs "hot"... that'll really overdrive an old receiver.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I would be surprised if you ran into any problems unless you tried to run a DVD like TOY STORY2 at 115dBs [​IMG]
    The SVs (CS) are rated at 4ohm, but they(esp the 39 and 31) really are an easy load to driver...staying around 5ohm or higher across the intended operating bandwidth.
    TV