What's new

SVS (1 Viewer)

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent
Well I just did my taxes and was lucky enough to get a refund. This means i can continue piecing together my growing stereo. I say stereo because I am currently am aiming at putting together a nice HT geared towards music. The next step for me is a Sub. I have never owned a nice subwoofer and am eager to get the ball rolling. My aim for now is a 2.1 system.

I currently have:

Fronts: Paradigm Studio 100's
Receiver: NAD C720BEE Stereo Receiver

The receiver is not quite up to par with the speakers I know but I had to start somewhere. What kind of Sub should I get on a $600 budget? I have looked at some models from SVS namely the PB10-NSD and PB12-NSD but I am not sure I have the reciever for these subs. They talk about needing DTS and/or Sub pre outs. I appoligize for my stupidity but are pre outs the same as a simple "subwoofer output"? Because I think that is all I have.

You guys have been very helpful in the past and I hope you can shed some light on this qustion also.

Thanks,

BBB

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Yep; you shouldnt have any issue with the connection.

What size room are we dealing with here? SVS, HSU will have something that will work for you.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
if your using the sub for 2.1 stereo from a non dts receiver, then it should be fine as long as it has a sub output. But for future upgrades especially if you end up using this equipment for movies/music, you'll want to get a dts capable receiver.

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent
12' X 20' X 8' (height)

Thanks for the quick response. That would be great that last website I was at made be beilive that they wouldn't work for me.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer
For close to your $600 budget and for music I would recommend this SVS sub.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

But e-mail SVS and ask their recommendation.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent
The HSU website shows there subs with a numerical level and recomended room size ( very large, large, medium, etc..)

What do they consider large? Can a sub be too large for a room? I would think it would be better that to small...

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Personally I don't think you can go too big with a sub, cause you can always dial it down. its more of a money factor vs. need. practicality I believe.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The PB-10 will not work for you if you use an integrated as it has no built in x-over or speaker level inputs, and only a single preamp input. You would need to step up to the PB-12 or 25-31PCi, or one of the HSUs.

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent
I kind of had the feeling that this was the case. I unfortunatley cannot afford any of those other models from SVS. What would you recomend from HSU?

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
I've read through hrs and hrs of online threads about HSU and SVS and find that all I can pass on is other peoples opinions. I do not own either at the moment. Although I have dealt with SVS customer service of late and they are outstanding in a quick thorough reply.

If you can wade through the troll messages and get to the meat of these discussions it is really informative.

The consensus I have found is that BOTH are excellent subs. The edge to SVS for HT and to HSU for Audio apps. For whatever that's worth, it is what I have found in opinions of others.

My point is that with them side by side and switching back and forth they could see/measure/hear very slight differences. I doubt very seriously if you would be disspointed in either as you are in the same boat as I am, in that we are just stepping into the higher quality sub market.

Style might have a bearing on your choice.

PS : SVS- you can get a B-stock PB12 for 629 and a PCi 25-31 for 549 + shipping, dunno if either trips your trigger

CWiz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck Webb
I've got a question about SVS subs. from the frequency charts, the pb10 seems to have a smoother and louder (more dB) compared to the pb12 and sb12. i thought you basiclly wanted as smooth and high of a frequecy chart as you could. are subs different in this respect? why would you pay more for lower dB's at the same frequency? (i dont want to hijack the thread,just curious. sorry!)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Owned the PB-10 and heard the PB-12, and while the PB-10 may have a bit more output at some frequencies, it also doesn't physically move as much air, so it doesn't quite activate the room in the same way as the PB-12. Numbers wise, I thought the two were actually quite similar in output overall.

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott

SVS support mentioned to me that the charts do not show MAX output but the frequency measured at that specific db level. You might want to confirm that with them.

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent
SVS confirmed that the PCi 25-31 would work with my application. I did not know that it was a cylindrical sub. I really did not even consider one, but now that I think of it, it may actually work out better size wise. Looking at some threads about whats in everyones personal HT it seem like a lot of people have cylindrical subs. Why is this? Alot are going with the 20-39 is this worth the extra $50 or so bucks. Between these two and a
HSU VTF-3 MK 2 ( or possibly another HSU ) which would you buy. I am sure I would be extreemly pleased with any of them.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like the look of the cylinders personally; performance wise, cylinder vs box are pretty similar though. The 25-31 has the most output of the cylinders, but it doesn't quite go as low as the 20-39, the "happy medium", which is why that one likely tends to be more popular. If you have a larger room to fill, the 25-31 is probably the better choice, otherwise I would go with a 20-39. Space wise, the cylinders only take up 16" of floor space, while even the PB-10 takes up a fair amount more. In a 12x20 room, I'd say either will do well.

The VTF-3mkII is a very good sub also. I've heard it a few times at a friend's place in a room about that size and it has no problem with it.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Eventually, after a few days, the cylinder blends into the room decor and you don't even notice it anymore until a guest comes by and says "whats that?"

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
my sub cost $600 (list, deals to be had). it is the martin logan dynamo as listed below. i love it. you can listen to it at a magnolia section of some best buy stores, or a good hifi store.(check their website for locations). i suggest you do, and while you are at it compare it to anything else they have for half the price or double the price. IMO it represents great value for tight clean powerful bass.

then if you want to give the svs or anything else a shot, go ahead. you'll know how it stacks up, or at least have some idea (the show room and your listening room may be very different). if it doesn't cut it, their return policy is very good, if it does, yay, you found your sub.

a couple other things, john g is right about needing a sub with built in crossover controls, and the pb 10 doesn't have it. if i wanted an svs sub for music in a small-med sized room, i'd splurge for the sb12-plus. it was released about a month or so after i got my dynamo. while i only hear great things about the accuracy, clarity, definition etc of all svs subs, based on what i've heard, the sealed subs always sound tighter than the ported subs in a given price range. (don't want to upset anyone, just my experience, haven't heard an svs). also, for music the really low end is less important unless you listen to a lot of organ music or the like. if found charts for instrument frequency info here and here. i hope this helpful.

good luck

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I'd go with one of the PCi cylinder models or the PB1-NSD, that will keep you in your price limit and give the most performance for the money. :)

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent
My reciever has a low pass filter at 100HZ. So as a lot of people have mentioned I will need a sub with a low pass filter of its own. Now, my speakers are full range so to avoid both the sub and my towers from both being fed the same range of frequencies I would have to set my sub low pass at the lower end of my towers range. Maybe you could help me out here but what is considered the lower range on Paradigm Studio 100's? 44 Hz or 28Hz?

In either case am I wasting my time here setting the low pass to 44 Hz? Seems like a lot of money to spend on another 20 Hz of range. But at the same time I would be all for a fuller ,richer,and deeper sound...

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks