SVS winner needs opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisDixon, Dec 20, 2001.

1. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Hey all,

I was quite happy to hear that I won second prize in the drawing today. I currently have a bandpass sub (Paradigm PS-1000) and I'm just not very happy with the music performance, so I can't wait for the upgrade. The prize is my choice of anything in the "Cylinder Series" (sub only - no amp). I'd like some advice on what to pick, so here is what I am most interested in: A great musical sub that will blend well with my Paradigm Monitor 7s, CC-350, and Mini-Monitor surrounds. My room is not huge but not tiny either, so something that can shake it is always a bonus! My usage is about 50/50 music and HT, so again, tight, fast music is a big factor for me. I'm not all that familliar with the SVS line, so any advice would be helpful (including whether I need to purchase an amp for it). Also, how might it compare with my PS-1000?

Thanks to SVS and to everyone here at HTF!

Chris

2. Eric Wood

Eric Wood Stunt Coordinator

I have read that the 39 is the all-around middle of the road cylinder in their line-up. Maybe able to feng shui it better than the 46 as well. I have never seen or heard them either. So take my advice with grain of salt.

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Go all the way with the 16-46CS. It's a great sounding sub in music and you'll love feeling those 15-20Hz passages in some movie tracks. One point to note, the 16-46 as well as having the best extension of the group also has the flattest reponse. It's definitely the one I'd pick if I were going to get an SVS.

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I went with the 20-39PC. (same as CS but, with an amp) Right in the middle, does it all extremely well. Congrats on winning!

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Congrats!

I'd go with a 16-46 model. Out of curiousity, what is your room size and do you have any openings?

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Chris:

One thing to consider is what the numbers in the sub stand for.

The 16-46 means that has a lower end of 16Hz and it is 46 inches tall. The 20-39 has lower end of 20Hz and is 39 inches tall and the 25-31 would be 25Hz and 31 inches tall.

None of the CS series are powered so you will need to have some out board amp added.

So I would first figure out how low you want it to go and how tall you would want it. Then you are going to need to come up with some sort of amp to drive it with.

Hope this helps a little in your decision making.

Parker

8. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Thanks for the advice. My first impression would be to go with the sub that goes lowest (I'm not all that worried about the size). As long as the lower extension does not sacrifice speed or accuracy.

As to the amp, should I buy the Samson? Unfortunately, my speaker budget is already used up. Is there a less-expensive choice that would work just as well?

Thanks again,

Chris

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The 16-46 will not give up any speed or accuracy to the 20-39 or 25-31. The only thing it will give up is 1 or 2 dB in the >30hz region (and that would be peak output which I doubt you'll ever really hit).
    A lot of people have been buying some KLH receiver for $100 and getting excellent results (have to do a search, I don't remember the model). Although if you can scrape up the $380 for the Samson it would be a better choice.
    Another option would be a QSC RMX 850. 2 x 300 watts at 4 ohm for $299. They are also pretty easy to find on Ebay for less.

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Chris,

I have used the 20-39 myself and thought it did quite well. Ron Stimpson at SVS had told me that the 16-46 was best suited to mains that had a very low bottom end and with a particularly low crossover, probably 60Hz or lower. Assuming I am remembering right. Going on that, I am guessing that the 20-39 will probably integrate better with the Paradigms than the 16-46, even though it has a lower bottom end.

Maybe Ron or Tom will jump in and make a suggestion.

11. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

I went with a 16-46CS on speakers that roll off at about 57Hz - bookshelf NHT SuperOnes.
    It integrates seamlessly.
    So that is what I would pick! [​IMG]
    Mike

12. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

One more amp question: the suggestion to use an old receiver was an interesting one. I do have an old Nakamichi AV-400 in my basement doing nothing right now, but it is 100wpc X 5. Will that be enough to power the SVS? What would the proper volume setting be? I also just realized that I'll need an external crossover too (since my Paradigm sub had a built-in amp and xo). All this sounds like a great excuse to do more playing with my system, but for some reason, my wife doesn't quite see the upside to it all...

Chris

13. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Yes, that Nakamichi would be great for powering an SVS CS series. It wouldn't give you quite as much headroom as a 700W or 1000W Samson (which put out 350 and 500 watts/ channel respectively) but it will deliver a solid 150W /channel into 4ohms and would get you to within 3-5dB of the Samsons when it comes to raw output. I think you'd be satisfied.

As for a crossover, just use the LFE out on your receiver or preamp and set your speakers to "small" (unless you've got some huge towers for mains). That will set your crossover at 80Hz and should sound great. Also, just set the receiver volume all the way up and adjust the sub/LFE volume on the main receiver or preamp that's doing the decoding.

14. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I agree with your settings for Home Theater (allowing the receiver's internal crossover to do its job), but my Marantz has a fixed xo of 100Hz which is too high for music. Also, I always use the "Source Direct" mode which bypassess *all* bass management. Since music is very important to me, I currently have an a/b switch that toggles two subwoofer settings. For Music, I feed the Pre-out Left and Right to switch position A and on to my Paradigm sub with an xo of 50Hz. The full signal goes to my Monitor 7 fronts since the Marantz has no main-ins for a high-pass filter. There might be a slight overlap at about 45-50 Hz, but it is not noticable, and my current xo only goes down to 50. For HT, I feed the Sub-out to switch position B and on to the sub (xo is set to above 100Hz to avoid two crossover points).

If this all sounds like too much trouble, it is! But there are two constants for me: I must use source direct for music and I want the sub to fill out the bass for music. That being the case, my only choice is using the pre-outs. What do you guys think of the plate amps from Parts Express? Seems like that would fit the bill nicely for me (amp + xo with remote, since I like to change the xo). My only concern there is the bass boost (which I don't want). Is it possible to eliminate that without soldering? Any opinions are welcome.

Chris

15. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Chris, I don't know how big your room is, but check out this thread. It may help in your decision!

16. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I never actually measured my room, but my couch (along the back wall) is about 8 feet from my equipment. The room is probably about 20 feet wide, with an opening on either side. I will be moving in the spring though (the ultimate HT upgrade), so I'll be looking for a better configuration.

Chris

17. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Chris: I'd make a deal with Ron to give you a credit for a 16-46cs and then use that credit to upgrade to a 16-46cs+ sub. To me, this sub seems like the sweet spot in the SVS lineup today. This sub will give you the low end extention while at the same time giving you the same, or more, dBs at above 30Hz as the smaller CS line. And it should only cost you about $130 more. At that point, since you'll need some decent power to get the potential out of the plus, I'd also go with either the Samsom S1000 amp or find yourself a good used amp that puts out more than 300w into 4 ohms. Maybe a used Carver pro amp or a used RSC, Crown, Crest or Ashby amp will do a fine job. If you plan on keeping this sub for 5 years or so, getting the plus will help to future proof any desires you may have for more bass in the future.

18. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Chris:

The other thing to consider would be to see if they would be willing to send you a PC version instead of the unpowered CS line. The diffence is only $300 and it would give you the power amp built in to the sub.

Also, I would talk to Ron or Tom and get their recommendations too.

Parker

19. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

I have the exact same speaker setup as ChrisDixon with the exception of the sub (ps1200 instead of 1000). My question is, since this applies to me to since I'm considering an SVS, should he use both subs or just chuck the PS1000? What are the benefits of each?

20. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Matt,

I would sell your existing sub and use the proceeds to step up in the SVS line.

Chris,

i would get feedback from Tom or Ron.