SVS WALKING

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by gene avallon, Jun 1, 2006.

1. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

my two svs keep walking out of the corner, what should I put under them, its a tile floor, they move real fast on the dvd X MEN
    gene

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You could use any kind of dense rubbery material underneath them.

What kind of SVS is it? I believe mine (a cylinder sub) has rubberized feet that keep it from moving on most hard surfaces, but it is on carpet right now so it's definitely not moving.

3. Bertrand-R

Bertrand-R Agent

My PC Ultra move when I'm listening to Flight of the Phoenix (crash scene).

4. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

I was trying to reduce vibrations via my wood floor which rattled various items (pics on walls) when first installing. At an office supply type store you should be able to find a large 12x12 18x18? piece of flat black PC 'mouse pad' material. I cut to size, - works very well.

My son during a reset of the system; walked by and absentmindly talking to my husband hit the wrong couple of buttons on the remote...my husbands head was behind the display (sub behind display) changing a cable out (I think we had just lost our HDMI interface). ....There happened to be a DVD onboard cued to something like the nuclear explosion in the intro of T3. The sub jumped off the floor.............and so did my husband. [​IMG]

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The solutions offered so far will probably work well. Another option is the Auralex SubDude which essentially does the same thing as the other solutions above, but was made specifically for this purpose.

6. AxelKro

AxelKro Stunt Coordinator

Gene,

SVS offers two kind of "feet" for their Subs.
    One is a rather flat & rather hard one, which is good for sliding and the position finding period.
    Once they are located, you should use the 3M made rubber feets, which are supplied in a plastic bag. They are fitted beside the sliding feet and stick the Sub to the ground. It will not move a millimeter with those feets.

If you own the cylinder models, or an PB10-ISD model, those feet may not be within the delivery. However, if you want to get some, just send a mail to [email protected].

7. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Gene: There is something that I think everyone is overlooking. Do you by chance have another subwoofer in the room? A non-SVS suboofer? Those of us who have seen it actually happen rarely speak of it, but SVS subs - particularly the cylinders - have an innate desire to wholly consume any inferior subwoofers that they are exposed to. I first noticed my 25-31 PCi 'walking' a little like yours, though at the time I didn't realize it was trying to better position itself to see what was on the other side of the entertainment center (where my Paradigm PDR-10 was sitting). The minute the SVS got one look at it, that was all she wrote.

8. gene avallon

nope just the 2 tall things with the 1,000 watt amp. just got a email from ron sending some sticky feet, when I first got them years ago they did not walk,as the dvd sound got better they started roaming
    gene

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

An SVS walking???? Well, I could have sworn my pb2+ snapped at my pants leg several times....LOL

10. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I used to race mine across the floor. Take bets and see which one wins.

I have my twins on Auralex Gramma pads. They don't move and it tightened up the bass quite a bit on my hardwood floor.

http://www.cube17576.com/images/svs1646.jpg

11. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Phil

12. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

snapped at my pants leg several times

SVS is considering a new upgrade for their subs, I plan to be one of the first in line to enroll mine sending it back for Factory approved “Schutzhund Training”. SVS ships it back to you, with services included, of a professional handler for setup, making sure you are type rated to maintain control after this increase in performance.

In the meantime, I have decided to enlist my SVS in its natural state, in home defense.
    Will keep T-3 cued up to the nuclear blast, anyone breaks in ...hit that remote.
    The sacrificial SVS will draw fire, while I perform a flanking maneuver whopping them upside the head with my 100 Pd Outlaw amp.

...I make the rounds of the morning talk circuit, mention that HD players will freeze intruders feet to the floor with jawdropping crystal clarity, Americans buy them by the droves...price drops...studio’s release all movies ever made, to HD disc formats.
    We’re good to go.

13. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

FINALLY I got a laugh from that.....thank you, Phil....I've tried that "joke" about three or four times over the past couple of years, and all I heard were crickets, lol. You've made my day [​IMG]

14. gene avallon

got new feet for the subs from SVS, free and by priotry mail nice guys. now they woof and dont walk
    gene

15. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Alan Z... you're funny.
    Phil.... I was actually laughing too hard to reply before you did.... where did you get that dancing banana???
    Nice lighthearted tone around here, guys. I think we are part of a pretty good forum, don't you think?

16. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

This is my favorite place by far, I just wish more people would speak up! lol I think some of the other topics on here get a lot more activity than the speaker/subwoofer area does.

I get more excited about speakers than I do any other type of gear....and even though I'm not in the market for speakers anymore myself, I love hearing about what other people are thinking about, listening to, and purchasing.

17. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I agree. I visit AVS frequently for info but this forum has a much better tone and people just get along better...

18. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Alan and Dorian...... yep, I couldn't agree more...... this forum is the first in my favorites and while it may have helped reduce my spending cash, at least there was usually a majority vote........
    Civility seems to be a distant word in some forums ......

19. TimJC

TimJC Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I must agree with the above comments on the civil tone around here. It is greatly appreciated. Thanks all for making it work!

p.s., on topic, my PC Ultra has never taken a stroll, primarily due I think to the padded carpet over concrete floor. On a harder more resonant surface I could well imagine it would be doing the happy dance across the room with the right material though.

Tim
    [​IMG]

20. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

That's a "BIG 10-4 - good buddy!!!" [​IMG] (yeah, really dating myself, but what the heck!?!? I actually never owned a CB Radio but loved that sign-off that my friends used with their CB Radios!) [​IMG]

Phil