What's new

SVS vs. Velodyne - Tell me what you think (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I just contacted the Tom at SVS. I just bought a velodyne ct10 and I have it in a room that is 20'x18'. It just does not produce enought bass unless you turn it way up over the volume of everything else. I want the base you can feel. What are you opinions? Tom suggested the 20-39 and the samson s-700 amp. Would I notice a big difference. Tom stated that the 20-39 has 50-67% more clean output capability compared to a velodyne ct-15!!!!!!!!Wow! I still have time to return the velodyne. Thanks very much!!!

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 20-39CS powered by a 250W PE plate amp. There is definately bass you can feel. I have NO experience with the Velo stuff but I wouldn't trade my 20-39 for anything, except for a 20-39Plus or CS Ultra :D

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the 20-39 for 8 months,run by a 250W Yamaha amp.My friend bought the CT-15 2 months before my SV arrived.3 days after hearing my set-up he put the Velo. up for sale in the Buy & sell magazine.Nuff said.

Wayne

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Yes you will. I'd compare the bass the 20-39/S700 combo puts out to that of the 18" Velodyne only more refined and smoother. If there is deep bass on what you are watching or listening to, the SVS will put it out there. There will be distinct bass notes versus a constant rumbling sound.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brian,

I have a Velodyne ULD-18II, which is a discontinued top-of-the-line model. A few months back I had the opportunity to use a 20-39PC for a few weeks in the same room. Keep in mind that this is comparing an under $1000 SVS sub with a $3000 Velodyne. The main thing that jumped out to me was that the SVS seemed to have better extension. The Velo is no slouch, but the SVS seemed to just a bit more punch in the low end. I would return the Velo and get an SVS.

Joe-T

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with everyone else. I have the CT-12 and my friend has a CT-10. The 10 is a little faster/tighter and more accurate IMO but the 12 has better extension and SPLs. But after owning the CT-12 for a year I have found the bass to be very mushy and boomy, with no real definition. I enjoy the JL subs in my car much more and now only use my Velo for movies, but not music. I just placed my pre-order for a pair of 16-46 CS+ subs and can't wait for my late Christmas present in January. I know you won't regret going with SVS over Velo. Only the expensive HGS series from Velodyne are worth considering, but you can get much much much more for less with SVS.

Randy G

Second Unit
There are two very good reasons to buy an HGS sub, those being accuracy and size. From everything I've read, people seem to agree that SVS makes highly accurate subs as well. So that leaves us with the number one reason that someone would most likely prefer the Velodyne HGS series, and that would be size. Some folks prioritize unobtrusive appearance(not footprint...that's a silly spec). I know that I do, and would love to see SVS come out with something that would challenge the HGS series in small size. I'd snap one up in an instant.

JaleelK

Second Unit
There are two very good reasons to buy an HGS sub, those being accuracy and size. From everything I've read, people seem to agree that SVS makes highly accurate subs as well. So that leaves us with the number one reason that someone would most likely prefer the Velodyne HGS series, and that would be size. Some folks prioritize unobtrusive appearance(not footprint...that's a silly spec). I know that I do, and would love to see SVS come out with something that would challenge the HGS series in small size. I'd snap one up in an instant.
They would choose the HGS Velo because they don't have to bother with a separate amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks