What's new

svs vs. rp 91 (1 Viewer)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
My next upgrade will be either a 20-39 pc sub or a panasonic rp 91 dvd video/audio player. I know that the sub will probably make a bigger impact, but the dvd player is half the price. In other words I would have to wait twice as long to get the sub as I would the dvd player.

Currently I am using a cerwin lw 15 sub which I loved back in college before I knew any better. I have a regular 32 inch tv but my wife gave me the green light to buy a 65 inch widescreen Mitsubishi when she graduates from PT school in the May, so that's when the progressive scan would come into play. I already love how dvd audio's sound in a regular non dvd audio player with the 5.1 mix, so I can't wait to hear the real thing.

Current system:

Yamaha rx-v3000 (love it)

Grado sr 80's (love 'em)

mains: cerwin vega vs 150 (stop laughing, I really do

love how loud these get and I think they get

a bad rap)

center: cv re-30 (I said no laughing!)

rears: some old big *ss Jensens (alright, it's ok to laugh

now)

center rear: same as center

front effects: JBL M5's

sub: cerwin vega lw 15

dvd player: P.O.S RCA

Obviously I have some upgrading to do, believe it or not I can't see myself uprgrading the mains or centers, but the rears have got to go.

My wife and I have a strict budget since she's still in school, the good news is we divide the spending money so each of us can spend how we see fit. After all my other weekly expenses, I can save 30 - 40 dollars a week. So far I have 150, so clearly I have a long way to go to get anything.

So what would you guys do?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Either choice would be great. You won't lose either way.

Personally, I think that the SVS will have the bigger impact on your system.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Your decision may have already been made for you. The RP91 is now discontinued (due to new models coming soon). From what I hear around the various forums, there are not many RP91s left to be found.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Obi has a good point. You may want to jump on that before they are gone. However, I personally would go for the sub. :)
Jon

DanaA

Screenwriter
I'd definitely go with the sub. In my opinion, it will make a huge difference over your current sub. Yes, you'll have to wait a while longer to get the DVD, but you'll have a great time waiting. Or, you could go with something like the Adire Rava and maybe be able to squeeze in a DVD along with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks