What's new

SVS vs. Paradigm Servo-15 (1 Viewer)

Navid

Agent
I am having a lot of trouble deciding between these subwoofers. I am leaning towards Paradigm and alot of the reason is because I own all Paradigm Reference speakers.

Fronts: Studio 40 v.2
Center: Studio CC v.2
Surrounds: Studio ADP v.2

Any suggestions or thoughts. I am afraid that this is the wrong place to ask.. Because this forums seems to have a lot to do with SVS. I guess one of the owners manages this forum.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
I don't know anything about the Paradigm sub. However, you are mistaken about this forum being operated by one of the SVS owners. Tom V. and Ron S. (the two owners of SVS) post frequently here, and apparently pay for advertising here, too. However, they are not owners or operators or managers of this forum. AFAIK, Parker Clack and Ron Epstein are the owners of the HTF. The reason why you read and hear so much about SVS on this forum is because SV Subs are truly awesome products, with possibly the highest performance/dollar ratio of any sub line out there.
As for your sub quandry, if you have no problem with the size and look of an SV Subwoofer, then go with an SVS. Matching the brand of subwoofer to the brand of your speakers is NOT important, unless you just like everything in your room to have matching labels or something. :) Matching the brand (and even better the model line) of main, surround, and center speakers *IS* very important for timbre matching, but the subwoofer does not need to be matched, as there isn't really much "timbre" to low bass frequencies.

Gruson

Second Unit
I tried dual SVS subs (20-39CS) and I still preferred my Paradigm PW-2200. Tom and Ron are great to work with but I listen to my movies at reference level or above and the SVS subs kept bottoming out at the level I had to have them at (very annoying sound). They are good subs, yes, but I still prefer Paradigm.
I am fixing to upgrade to dual PW-2200 subs actually :)

KeithBR

Agent
Navid,

I have dual Paradigm Servo 15's and a CS+ 20-39. Depending on where you live and what is available to you, you could almost buy 2 CS+ or PC+ 20-39's for the price of 1 PS-15.

I have tried the SVS sub with the Paradigm Reference speakers I own (100's, 40's & CC) and they sound fantastic. My 20-39 found it's home with my B&W Nautilus though.

If I knew about SVS back when I was shopping for subs to match my Paradigm Reference I would have saved a ton of money. I paid full retail price for my Servo's, $1500 a piece. The CS+ cost almost half of that and IMHO, I prefer the sound of SVS's CS+ over my Paradigm. Unlike Gruson, I have yet to bottom out my CS+ 20-39 and I have played them beyond reference with movies like U571 and JPIII.

You should give SVS a try. Worst case scenario you will be out shipping cost after the 45day trial period SVS allows their customers.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
A related question: which of these subs would be considered more "musical"? Supposing that music was way more important to the buyer than HT.

Thanks,
Martin.

Keir H

Second Unit
What I am wondering is how some of you guys can stand to play reference level while watching dvd's for so long. I have not simply went over -15 on any film. I could not imagine what ref: is like although I would like to but my apartment living rm is too small for that (14x19). -15 is loud but it's not too bad on dialog passages. When a explosion hits with my SVS 22-31CS (120watt amp) I quickly look for the remote scared that the dreaded clacking sound would ruin the experience. I may need another amp or driver.....anyway, If I am getting the ref term correct -00 is ref: and that would be suicide to my ears in 5.1! :D
I have heard the Servo 15 and it's quite good but not quite a better value in terms of what you could get with a 25-31PCi or 20-39 CS+ IMO. You just get more for your money with SVS. Not the Paradigm is bad or nothing! I like the too and if you want to have the "all Paradigm look" then it's nice too on that side of things. Good luck.

KeithBR

Agent
Martin,

In my opinion, musically they are about the same.
For HT use, again IMO, the SVS outshines the Paradigm Servo 15.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
Keir H, you get a clicking sound out of your 22-31CS at -15??? as im thinking of going svs in the near future, that sounds alarming!...:star:

Keir H

Second Unit
NO Itia! :) I am just afraid to go any higher in vol because I think my amp will clip, long before my driver. I just dont want to mess anything up with the sub, the amp is easier to replace. -15 is ok I have heard on here but anything closer to ref: like -8 or higher I have heard will cause that noise, depends on the driver though too and amp...I'm no expert however so maybe someone else will chime in and give you a better description on levels. BTW, I have never played passed -12... ANd I do like a loud theater but that's insane in an apartment! :D

itai

Stunt Coordinator
ok, gotcha.
looks like you keep your neighubors relaxed!...;)
mine are reminded from time to time that im still their neighubor, ive seen -10 and even 0(!) on my 3802's front display a few times... but just for short bursts. i get a headache from the guilt feelings!...:D

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Keir,

i think the problem is you live in an apartment.. I own a house and play it up to around -8db and don't have to worry about neighbours.. Also, in regards to the amp clipping and the sub bottoming. I bought a real nice amp that doesn't clip very easy, modelled my sub to see where it would hit xmax and made sure that I kept my amp under that.. I also tuned my box very low (17hz) so it would offer a little protection to the driver.. I run 800w to my BPD 18 sub in a 10ft3 box, it can easily hit reference and I never worry bout bottoming it out, its nice for a change!

Craig

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
itai,
You do understand that those "-10" and "0" numbers on your 3802 display have no relevance to reference level whatsoever, right? The "zero" level on your Denon's volume control is totally arbitrary. You need to us Avia or VE with a SPL meter and calibrate your system to reference level. Then note that volume point on your Denon as "reference." The chances of it being the "zero" point are very slim. :) Just FYI... if you already knew this ignore it. :)

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
I tried dual SVS subs (20-39CS) and I still preferred my Paradigm PW-2200. Tom and Ron are great to work with but I listen to my movies at reference level or above and the SVS subs kept bottoming out at the level I had to have them at (very annoying sound). They are good subs, yes, but I still prefer Paradigm.
Interesting given TN's numbers:

20-39cs - 109.5 / 20hz~91dB / 25hz~105.8dB
Paradigm PW2200 - 108 / 20hz~84 / 25hz ~104dB (112.8dB peak)

Is it possible that the PW2200 is "soft clipping?"

jdg

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I tried dual SVS subs (20-39CS) and I still preferred my Paradigm PW-2200. Tom and Ron are great to work with but I listen to my movies at reference level or above and the SVS subs kept bottoming out at the level I had to have them at (very annoying sound). They are good subs, yes, but I still prefer Paradigm.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Interesting given TN's numbers:

20-39cs - 109.5 / 20hz~91dB / 25hz~105.8dB
Paradigm PW2200 - 108 / 20hz~84 / 25hz ~104dB (112.8dB peak)

Is it possible that the PW2200 is "soft clipping?"

These are the numbers for the old SVS driver. You can easily add 5-6db with the "improved" driver or if you ordered your SVS after they starting putting it in standard.

Dual 2200's would still only get you ~90db at 20hz relative to the numbers above. But they would be pretty potent at 25hz+ (110db@25hz and 118-119db peak if stacked)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Those are old PW2200 numbers as well, as was pointed out to me a while ago. Off a newer list Tom posted a while ago, the PW2200 was 107.4dB (25-63 average) ~91dB (20hz).

But if I was buying, I'd take the SVS 20-39PCi over a PW2200 anyday.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Never heard the SVS since they aren't available over here, but I have a single Servo-15 and its qutie a beast! Has all the low frequency extension as well as the SPL i could ever possibly need, and my listening room has quite a lot of volume to it too. Downsides are that its physically huge, but then again the SVS's aren't small either. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Gruson

Second Unit
Here is a funny story.
I live in a house and my closest neighbors are about 15 feet away on each side.
One complains that too many things in his house "rattle" when I watch a movie. :)
For a while, the other neighbor had thought they built a new airport in our neighborhood because of my Paradigm 2200 sub. lol.
Luckily, I am friends with both of them so they are pretty tolerant with me.
I would be willing to give SVS subs another chance with the updated drivers...they are probably the best "bang for the buck" sub.
You should be happy with either Paradigm or SVS.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
Kieran
Actually, i didnt know that! (feeling stupid...:b ), i'm still learning stuff, thanks for pointing that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks