What's new

SVS vs. Paradigm (Opinions) (1 Viewer)

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm on the verge of getting my first HT together. I was auditioning the Studio 40 and 100's when the rep asked what sub I was going to go with. I said probably something from SVS (25-31PCI or 20-39PCI) to which he replied "who?". He then proceeded to tell me that he had never heard of SVS and that the Paradigm PS-1000 or 1200 would be much better than anything they made at the same price point. He also said that if I purchased the SVS to make sure I could return it and he would allow me to bring it into his shop and he would do a side by side comparison, he was that confident (he also made this offer when I said that I would be auditioning the B&W 602/603). Has anyone actually heard BOTH the SVS and the Paradigm and what is your opinion.

Nat Ward

Agent
Unfortunately I can't answer your question just like you wanted, but I can give you my opinion. I have Studio 60s, CC, and 20s in my HT system and started off with a PS-1200. If you're going for straight home theater, I thought it was pretty good. Goes pretty low, and hit levels that were more than enough for my apartment :). Buuuut, I'm a 60/40 music/HT guy, and it just didn't do it for me with this split. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it sounded like poop, but I just felt like it was a split second behind the mains at all times. In my situation there were some frequencies it just "really liked" too, which made some music sound boomy. I'm curently on a long work assignment away from home that is hooking me up with lots of overtime, and when I get back in a month I'm pretty sure I'm going to try a CS-Ultra. The guys at SVS are great, straight forward and very quick to respond. WIth all the glowing reviews and return policy, I figure I'd be stupid if I didn't give it a try. If you listen to either of the Paradigm subs and like 'em, go for it. If you can cope with the possibilty of repackaging and returning a SVS if you don't like it, I'd say go for it, you don't have much to lose!

Nat Ward

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
SeanV,

I haven't heard a paradigm subwoofer outside of the show room, but both of those subs have smaller enclosures, less power, and less extension than an SVS PCi series sub. I suggest you be willing to take advantage of SVS's 45 day return policy, bring it to your local hi-fi shop, and educate your salesperson.

Note, I have never heard anything from Paradigm I didn't like, especially for the money, it's just that I doubt either of those subs are going to keep up with an SVS.

-Robb

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Sean, of course the salesman will say that. Everything HE sells will automatically be better than what anyone else sells.

While Paradigm speakers are outstanding, they dont have a reputation for super-great subs. SVS only does subwoofers and they compare very well to other, subwoofer-only lines. And it's really, really hard to put 2 subs in a room and do a comparison. Placement and room-response are a BIG factor, and human hearing is very poor at subwoofer frequencies. Unless you really know what you are doing, and have instruments to measure performance - you really cannot do a honest comparison.

Smile, nod, and thank the salesman for his offer. Then buy the SVS. Few customers have ever regretted it.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I would take the salesman up on his offer. Purchase a SVS, they have good return policy, take it to the store and do a side by side. You might embarrass the whole shop. Who knows, you might give SVS a whole new group of customers!
I'm sure the SVS could rock it up.
I am a Paradigm PW2200 owner. I love it. It shakes my house way more than I need.
Try them both in your house and see which one best works for you.

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
Funny that you wrote that :) . I was actually in the process of emailing SVS, realizing pretty much the same thing that you said. :emoji_thumbsup: Now I just have to decide between the studios or the B&W 600s. This is what I'm probably looking at as a setup:

Marantz 7300 (currently a Sony STR-DE695)
Sony 32"Wega (until plasma/LCD is affordable)

fronts: studio 40/60 or B&W 602.5/603
surround: atoms or 601s
center: studio CC or LCR4(?)

Thanks for the input....it was greatly appreciated.

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,

Just wanted to voice another opinion in favor of the SVS subs. I currently am running an all Paradigm 7.1 system in the theater room through a B&K AVR507 receiver. I use the Studio 40s, Studio CC, ADP-450 and SA-25 inwalls in this room. I will be purchasing an SVS 20-39PC+ for this room. Currently I dragged my Paradigm PW-2200 from the downstairs family room theater into the upstairs theater and it is my bass source. It sound great, don't get me wrong... but I think the SVS will put it in it's place when I order it. I have spoken at length with Tom V. of SVS and you can't ask for better customer service or attitude when it comes to helping you decide on a product.

I'm sure I'll be ranting and raving like the rest of the SVS maniacs around here once I receive my SVS. Now if only I can get my wife to take the baby out of the house so I can crank up U571... :)

Good luck,
Jeff

PS - FWIW, the PW-2200 and the Servo-15 subs are the only subs worth mentioning when it comes to Paradigm IMHO. The lower models truly suffer from mud and over extension quite easily. I actually prefer the 2200 to the Servo-15, as I felt that the Servo lacked some of the tightness with music that I was looking for in a sub.

David Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff (and Sean),

I had owned a PW-2200 for the last year or so, and recently dove in and bought a 20-39 PC+ and the Samson 1000 watt amp. Not much time to write now, but to make a long story short, the SVS does everything that the PW-2200 does, only much better!

Believe it or not, they actually test out very similar in my room. The difference is, the SVS is SOOOO much tighter and more controlled.

Here’s the easiest (and very accurate) way to tell:

When running test tones under about 40 Hz or so with the Paradigm, my sound level meter actually jumps around like crazy. The lower the frequency, the worse it gets.

With the SVS, it literally sits perfectly still, even at 20 hz. It is just completely smooth and tight, there’s no better way to explain it.

The end result is really an amazing difference, and I loved my PW-2200 before!

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all for your input. I just heard from SVS and it was recommended that I get the 25-31PCI tuned to 22hz. So an SVS is definitely in the cards. I just auditioned the studio 40s (they were blown when I auditioned the 60s) and after much reading I gave the atoms a listen (nice). Tomorrow I'm going to check out the B&W 601/602.5 /603. It looks like it will be a decision between Paradigm and B&W coming soon. The dealer is giving me a "slight" break on the 40s because they're the V.2s not the newer V.3s. So we will see soon enough. Once again thanks for the input.

Sean

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Are you sure you didn't get the 20-39 CS+ not the PC+? I only ask because I am wondering what you would do with the Samson amp since the PC+ is an active sub.

BTW, your last post freaked me out because of the way it started, "Jeff (and Sean)". I forgot that Sean was the thread started and thought you were talking to me and my brother named Sean. Took me a second to figure out how you knew my bro and why on earth you would address both of us. :)

Sean, yep... Tom won't steer you wrong on the SVS. One thing that I have NEVER heard from people who have dealt with him is that he has steered them towards a higher priced sub when they were looking at a lower priced one. The reverse, however, happens all the time. I am an example of that as Tom convinced me to forego the PB2+ in favor of the 20-39PC+ due to my room and listening habits.

Best of luck and let us know once that puppy shows up in your grubby little mits. :)

Later,
Jeff

Ron_L

Second Unit
When I was shopping for speakers...I was going for either B&W or Paradigm and Paradigm was better for the $$$.

Plus the salesman was kinda of a dick, that didn't help things much.

David Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

DOH! Yes, I did mean CS+ with the Samson amp. My bad!

BTW, since then, I am now the owner of dual 20-39 CS+ subs. I just couldn't let that second channel of the amp go unused!

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
I actually heard a ps1200 some time ago. I have a SVS 20-39CS+. The ps is a nice sub and all, but:
No punch int the ring drop on LOTR or on the sock explosion from Monsters Inc. (the svs seems to kick you in the face).
Absent bass on the toy story 2 intro and no impact on the jet explosions (comparing this with the SVS ins´t even funny)
Absent sub-bass vibration on chapter 3 of episode 2.

Get the SVS and take it to the store, I bet the salesman is in for a surprise :D

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

A similar thing happened with me, he told me to go with a 20-39CS Plus but I decided to go with the CS Ultra.

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
I actually prefer the 2200 to the Servo-15, as I felt that the Servo lacked some of the tightness with music that I was looking for in a sub.
Wow Jeff, that's a statement that I have not heard, as the reason why a lot of people like the Servo-15 is because it has tight bass and worked excellent as a music and home theater sub. I specifically got the Servo-15 because of the tight bass.

However, like you said, "with music that I was looking for in a sub." So maybe it just was not what you were looking for. I love the Servo-15..which I think competes well witht the Velodyne's. I've tried the SVS subs, and I do like the lot of them, but I like the Servo-15 better. Just another opinion.

SeanV have you enquired about looking into HSU subs...they are also another "subwoofer only" manufacturer. I hear great reviews about them.

Christopher_R

Auditioning
Just one question. Isn't it going to be hard getting a SVS cylinder sub in the store to compare. No offense but I bet people would be like, "what the hell" if you brought a SVS sub in to compare against the paradigm. Kinda off topic sorry.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to combat Bob's comment that Paradigm isn't also famous for their subs. They most definitely are! For sure some solid performers in their class in the retail market. The pw220 is solid, the servo 15 is phenomenal, and I bought an SVS. :D Definitely a killer sub for movies and everything.

If you've not already listened to the B&Ws, while the 600 series gets good reviews, IMO, it's more on par with the monitor series from paradigm. I personally liked (and bought) the monitor series over the 600s3, but that's my tastes. Do take a listen to the CDM series from B&W, different than the studios, more $$, but more detail, IMO.

And whether you get a paradigm sub, or an SVS you'll wonderfully happy for sure.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard a Paradigm sub, but I can tell you that I really love my SVS 20-39 PC+, and I've only had it for 3 days!

:)

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
Well I might be the odd one out but my vote goes for paradigm not the ps 1000 or 1200 but the pw22oo. I was amazed buy this sub. My roomate has a svs 20-39pc+ and at least on my systen paridgm 60;s 20's, titans, studio cc the pw just seemed better suited to me, i was never a big paradigm sub fan but now i have a pw2200 and ps1000 together and it amazing just my 2 cents

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Paradigm makes a good sub but unfortunately to me SVS makes a better product as they don't make the compromise that Paradigm made (ie size {volume}, driver, and porting). The other plus is that there has been recent posts from people who have bought Paradigm and Velodynes that makes me believe that these companies have not only stepped down on quality but also customer service (sort of like "pulling teeth" if there's a problem). Personally if it was me I'd go with the two online vendors (HSU or SVS) over the Paradigm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks