SVS vs Onkyo Sub Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulW, Sep 6, 2001.

1. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

Hi. I have a question is regard to sub-woofers. Currently I have 2 Onkyo THX HTS-1 10” subwoofers. One contains a 125 watt amp that powers both subs. I was wondering, theoretically would my 2 10s out perform a single non-ultra SVS sub? The Onkyo subs by themselves are speced at 30 to 250 Hz +/- 3. What would that mean with then together?
    Thanks,
    Paul

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I saw a review for those Onkyos a LONG time ago...I really don't remember much about them though. I would guess they'd be pretty decent >35hz...but not much

3. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

I have the complete Onkyo THX HTS-1 and my receiver is an Onkyo TX-DS777
    My room is about 5000 cubic feet. Vaulted ceilings and open in the kitchen and rest of the house.
    I normally like to play them between –10 and –6. I normally run my subs at 3 to 6 DBs higher then my mains.
    Not a big pipe organ fan but I do have Telerc discs that really challenge my system to 20 Hz.
    Thanks,
    PaulW

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I have the complete Onkyo THX HTS-1 and my receiver is an Onkyo TX-DS777 My room is about 5000 cubic feet. Vaulted ceilings and open in the kitchen and rest of the house.
    I normally like to play them between –10 and –6. I normally run my subs at 3 to 6 DBs higher then my mains.

5. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. Where does the 120 DB number come from? I thought reference was 105 DB?
    Thanks,
    PaulW