1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS vs Onkyo Sub Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulW, Sep 6, 2001.

1. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

Hi. I have a question is regard to sub-woofers. Currently I have 2 Onkyo THX HTS-1 10” subwoofers. One contains a 125 watt amp that powers both subs. I was wondering, theoretically would my 2 10s out perform a single non-ultra SVS sub? The Onkyo subs by themselves are speced at 30 to 250 Hz +/- 3. What would that mean with then together?
    Thanks,
    Paul

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The extension, or lack thereof, is the same as a single sub. Any of the SVS models would be a major upgrade.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I saw a review for those Onkyos a LONG time ago...I really don't remember much about them though. I would guess they'd be pretty decent >35hz...but not much

4. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

I have the complete Onkyo THX HTS-1 and my receiver is an Onkyo TX-DS777
    My room is about 5000 cubic feet. Vaulted ceilings and open in the kitchen and rest of the house.
    I normally like to play them between –10 and –6. I normally run my subs at 3 to 6 DBs higher then my mains.
    Not a big pipe organ fan but I do have Telerc discs that really challenge my system to 20 Hz.
    Thanks,
    PaulW

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I have the complete Onkyo THX HTS-1 and my receiver is an Onkyo TX-DS777 My room is about 5000 cubic feet. Vaulted ceilings and open in the kitchen and rest of the house.
    I normally like to play them between –10 and –6. I normally run my subs at 3 to 6 DBs higher then my mains.

6. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. Where does the 120 DB number come from? I thought reference was 105 DB?
    Thanks,
    PaulW

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer