SVS vs. Hsu

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    I've decided to hold out on my speaker purchase for a few months, but i need a good sub. i've been considering the Hsu VTF-2 ($499) but was wondering if there was an SVS in the same price range. i dont want to spend more than $500 at most.
    would the SVS be powered? is it better than the Hsu? any other brands someone could suggest? i'm going to be listening to music vs. movies about 60/40, and it needs to be kinda small (for a dorm room).
    TYIA for the help!

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

SVS doesn't offer any powered subwoofers in the $500 range. In that bracket...the HSU VTF-2 is the one to get.
    TV

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Tom,
    If your budget is hard at $500 and you don't already have an old amp or receiver to power on of our CS subwoofers then really the VTF-2 is about your best choice out there.
    Sony has a $200ish sub that folks rave about but we've not tested one.
    If you DO have an old amp or receiver around, and you'll use the sub with a Dolby Digital receiver then for $399 you can better the performance of the VTF-2 with one of the SVS 25-31CS subs.
    If your budget allows you go to $675 and you need a self powered amp then I personally believe the $175 to be well spent on a 25-31PC. The VTF-2 is good, our PC series is better (of course it should be it costs more!).
    E-mail our tech support and Tom might be conviced to post how much better based on your room and equipment.
    Ron

4. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Thomas,
    You might want to think about the Adire Rava which is a pretty good powered sub. It's $400 so it's definately in your range. Tryhttp://www.adireaudio.com/rpd/rava.htm for details.
    You might also want to do a search on this forum for the Rava.
    Mike Knapp the owner of Home Theater Talk has one of these and his review can be found athttp://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/A...-1-002302.html
    I heard Mike's in a recent visit and I was very impressed with it's abilities.
    Have fun shopping.

5. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    what about a crossover? does the sub amp usually have that included?

7. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Ron, Tom
    What are talking about
    The RAVA the RAVA is about your best choice it compares to the Paradigm PW-2200 for both music & home theater allthough the PW-2200 as a bit more lower extension & output below 25Hz but still i own the Hsu VTF-2 which is a great sub for small rooms but it just wont go loud or deep in a pretty big room.
    & i find that the Hsu bottoms out alot durning heavy bass content

8. Tom Vodhanel

>>>what about a crossover? does the sub amp usually have that included?

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Where can you find the Hsu VTF-2 for $425+shipping?

10. Tom Vodhanel

some place called *jeff's soundvalues*
    or something like that, there's a few forum members who've purchase the VTF-2 from there I believe...they seemed to think it was a great purchase.
    TV

11. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    found it. it's here if anyone else wants a look. he sells new Hsu subs/amps and all types of good quality used HT equipment. interesting site and worth a look.

12. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

I am also on the fence about these two subs.My budget is closer to $800 but if I can save some money that would be great.I just want a sub to last a long time,I'm tired of upgrading.I am more geared toward movies so I need one to go the lowest and cleanest for the money.Ron,which one would you suggest?

13. Merconium

Merconium Agent

I've not had my Hsu bottom out once, even during some unbearably powerful sequences (read: Titan A.E., for example). Granted, my listening space is only of medium size, but I've never had a problem with deep, loud extension.
    I picked mine up for $433 shipped.

14. ErinS

ErinS Auditioning

I've had my VTF-2 for a couple of months now and it is an excellent sub. I have blown people away with it. I have a long open room (17x34x8) and it performs wonderfully in that space. I would highly recommend the VTF-2, I haven't heard a RAVA but I don't regret my decision for a minute.

15. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    I can recommend the Rava based on my personal experience with it. I cannot say it is the best sub available for less than 500 dollars as I have not had any personal experience with the competing subs, and I have not seen any published test data on the RAVA anywhere from which to make my judgement (not that I would pay attention to test data anyway [​IMG]).
    The RAVA works well for me. Thats the best I can do for you with any degree of accuracy and without conjecture.
    Keep in mind that the RAVA will be more than 500 when shipping is added. The HSU may well be the right choice considering your budgetary limitations.
    Mike

16. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Mike,
    I think you meant that Rava would be more than $400 including shipping? $399 is the price of Rava, and UPS Ground to Miami (from Seattle) runs roughly $40. So you will pay around $440 tops for a Rava. Unless we're shipping overseas!
    As far as the performance goes, the numbers we've posted on the website, we measured. So there is some objective data on the subwoofer. If anyone would like to come by the shop and watch us redo the measurements, that's not a problem. Just shoot me an e-mail, and we'll schedule it up!
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio
    [Edited last by DanWiggins on July 25, 2001 at 07:03 PM]

17. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    Oops....my bad. Sorry about that. Brain fart. I knew it was 399, I have no idea what the hell was going on with my synapses! [​IMG]
    That changes things considerably.
    Mike
    [Edited last by Mike Knapp on July 25, 2001 at 07:12 PM]