What's new

SVS vs. Hsu (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Not that I know of, but there's a comparison of the TN1220HO (among others) and the 16-46PC (not the 20) by Howard Ferstler in the latest "Sensible Sound".

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure you can get objective data on the output of those two subs if you look for the Tom Nousaine list that TV of SVS has compiled. Bear a few things in mind:

With the Hsu, you'll have to use their amp or get the module that includes the low-end boost. Just to keep in mind when comparing.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall TN reviewing the 1220HO, but you do really need to consider the Hsu as an amp/sub system, as Richard points out.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
TN reviewed the TN25 a couple years ago now...it did quite well. Not sure how the TN20 would directly compare...but if it's overall performance was close to the TN25...you could expect it to be pretty close to the 20-39PC(esp considering Hsu has upgraded the driver significantly since that review).

TV

ling_w

Second Unit
The Hsu uses a 6th order vented system, which is more efficient for a given volume, but it has a early 6dB/oct rolloff. At its cutoff freq where it has comparable efficiency/headroom. But at anything above that, the 6th order system would be have more headroom.

The way Hsu compensate for that is by building it into its own amp or via the little EQ box they sell now, they also both have a sharp subsonic filter targeted righ below their sub's port tuning freq to prevent the voice coil from melting or the driver from becoming an airborn projectile.

That does not mean SVS has less headroom, but just the fact that they have to use a much bigger tube.

So if you want to use your Soundesign 8 track/phono changer/AM/FM stereo unit's amplifier stage, you would have to buy the EQ box. With the SVS, you don't. Otherwise, throw that combo unit out, but keep the microscopic diamonds on the 33 and 45 rpm flipover needle, they are the most valuable item on that unit.

I guess Hsu came out with this EQ box contraption (along with their VTF series) because of the increased use of subs in conjunction with LFE/Sub out, as opposed to the integration of it into a 2ch system.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I doubt you'll find that one on the SVS site, but it's worth searching out, very comprehensive.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
It's the Nov/Dec issue of Sensible Sound and I just bought a copy at my local Border's bookstore. It's worth getting also because it is a "Recommended Components" issue, which is always a fun read. Here's a nice quote from Howard Ferstler about the 16-46PC from the Recommended Components section (not on the SVS site):
Capable of clean, usable bass to 20 Hz in any room, and able to generate very high output levels, particularly above 30 Hz, it can serve as the low-bass centerpiece in the most upscale music and home-theater systems imaginable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks