SVS vs. HSU

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by dannyG, Sep 17, 2003.

1. dannyG

dannyG Agent

I currently own a vtf2. Just for the heck of it I am thinking of selling it and purchasing a svs pb1.
    Has anyone heard both subs?
    How would you rate each one for music and HT?
    I listen 50/50 music/ht
    By the way I am not disappointed with my hsu, I'm just in the mood for a change and wonder if it would be worth it.

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Both are good subs and both have faithful followings. One thing you don't seem to hear on these subs is folks demanding one over the other. I love my SVS PB2+ and just happen to choose it. On the other hand I have heard good things about HSU as well. From what I can tell from reading the forums as along as you stay within the same catagory of sub there probably is not alot of difference. I may be wrong but thats just my take.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The PB1-ISD is tuned to 22 Hz anechoic. The VTF-2 is tuned to 25 Hz anechoic in the "Maximum Extension Mode" (one port plugged). So the SVS will still play slightly deeper than the VTF-2 (in Max Extension Mode). And I'm sure no one doubts the SVS will play louder (12" driver, 4" flared port, 320 watts vs. 10" driver, 3" flared port, 150 watts) at all frequencies with equally low or lower distortion.

I'm sure you would find the SVS a decent performance upgrade over the HSU, but it also costs more money (about $630 delivered vs. $500 delivered).

As far as movie vs. music, a good sub will accurately and faithfully reproduce the signal it is fed. It doesn't know if you are sending it Terminator 2, or the Telarc 1812 "Digital Cannons".

Regards,

Ed

4. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Thanks Ed.. I knew there had to be someone out there with some knowledge about the two without turning it into a "this vs. them" type response and you explaned it wonderfully.

5. dannyG

dannyG Agent

ditto Thanks Ed

By no means did I want this to become an us vs. them fight.

I am fairly new at this HT stuff but it is in my blood now.

Dan

6. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

For what it's worth, I own an SVS 25-31PC Plus, but the punchiest, gutsiest sub I've heard was the Hsu cylinder model(not sure which one) at a Hi-Fi show at the NYC Hilton several years ago.
    I did not care for its looks and top-heavy configuration, so I did not purchase it, but Dr. Hsu has definitely got some serious subs.
    The VTF-2(which I have also owned) has bested many a 12" driver- I don't think the PB-1 would make much of a difference over it.

7. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator