What's new

SVS vs HSU subwoofers (1 Viewer)

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that HSU subwoofers are very good sub for the money. And in the other side, I see that many people tell me to go with SVS if I want BAAAAAAASSSSS !!! So could u tell me if SVS subwoofers are better? Ex.: compare the CS, CS+, CS ultra against an HSU subwoofer.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Bob can answer this for you :D
But seriously, it's a matter of personal preference. HSU has a box and a "oil Barrel", so if yo want a traditional box, then maybe look at HSU, as well as the other companies that make a box, the Adire Dharman comes to mind.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I will offer my comparison of the two. I own neither, but have auditioned the VTF-2, 25-31pc (not pci), and twin 20-39cs (w/new driver). As between the vtf-2 and twin 20-39cs, there is no comparison. The twin 20-39's had lower extension, *much* more headroom, and were much tighter and more accurate for music. OTOH, the twin subs and amp were $1300.

Between the VTF-2 and 25-31pc, the VTF-2 seemed to have a bit more low extension. I think it puts out a few more db's around 20. It had a little more of that bass that you can feel but not hear. However, when played at the highest volumes, the 25-31 had more slap. Cearly, there is at least a few more db's of effective headroom. Also, the 25-31 was a bit more accurate for music. Neither was muddy or boomy, but the vtf-2 is what I would call average for music, whereas the 25-31 was above average. That comparison is with the old driver for the 25-31 BTW. I would assume performance is better with the new driver.

PS: I feel compelled to add that these comparisons were done in different rooms at different times.

The vtf-2 has a street price of $400 v. $550 for the 25-31. If your application is primarily HT, the vtf-2 might be the better choice. If 50% or more music, the 25-31 might be better. But truthfully, they are both *great* HT subs and if you have an esthetic preference for one or the other, that could reasonably be the deciding factor.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Claude,
I doubt you'd be sorry about purchasing something from either company. You are considering subs that are in the *98th* % regarding cost/performance ratios from either side...and you'd be hard pressed to find an unhappy customer from hsu or svs.
I would consider your room size,budget,performance expectations...and trade offs you'd be more comfortable with to make your choice. For example, if you are looking for a powered sub

Martice

Screenwriter
Both units are well built and put out competent and strong real world bass. If you want to have bass to show off as far as low end extention and foundation moving experiences, then I suggest you look at one of the larger SVS's or dual 2531's or even the HSU VTF-3 (although I'm not sure if they are available yet).
If you don't have the extra cash and want BAAASSSSS!! Then you can always go Link Removed for a killer sub (DIY performance) without the commercial sub price.
Also look here for BAAASSSS as well.
Good Luck

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
EricHaas,

Thank you a lot for your subs comparisons!

Tom,

I'm not enough decided to buy a sub. I'll buy one for sure this summer. I just begin to think about it. I have presently a PS-1000 subwoofer from Paradigm and I would like to have the same or EVEN MORE SPL and a better sound quality. I hate that boominess! So chances are big that I chose a SVS CS+ or the PC+ if it will comes out during the June or July month. I really need bass and I think that the PCi version will not make me satisfied. I can still tell u my room dimensions : 16 x 16 x 8 (ceilling) foot.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom,
I'm not enough decided to buy a sub. I'll buy one for sure this summer. I just begin to think about it. I have presently a PS-1000 subwoofer from Paradigm and I would like to have the same or EVEN MORE SPL and a better sound quality. I hate that boominess!>So chances are big that I chose a SVS CS+ or the PC+ if it will comes out during the June or July month.> I really need bass and I think that the PCi version will not make me satisfied. I can still tell u my room dimensions : 16 x 16 x 8 (ceilling) foot.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
I would guess the 20-39PCi would have about 3x the clean output capability of the ps1000
All of you confuse me with this clean output. If I remember you told us that the SVS 20-39PCi has two times the clean output than the Paradigm PW-2200. And u tell me after than the Pci has 3 times the output of the PS-1000. IMHO, i find that the PS-1000 is way LOUDER than the PW-2200. I mean that I can fell more chest thumping bass or more ENERGY with the PS-1000. I dont include the boominess, just the CHEST THUMPING, wall rattling, earth shaking, object moving bass!!!
So can I have this in conclusion: the PCi subwoofer has 3 times the chest thumping bass / bass energy the PS-1000 has? Yeah, you are right... I under estimate the Pci subwoofers, im a little septic. For sure, I would like to test the 20-39 Pci here and if im not satisfied, I could return it. But because im Canadian, I would have to pay the shipping cost if I return it :angry: like 60-70 US dollars? (I'm in the Quebec Province of Canada)
So I dunno what to do. I really dunno. Im the kinda of guy who is very difficult and hard to satisfy. Should I go with the PCi, CS+, CS Ultra? I really darn dunno lol! I want that my Logitech mouse move, that my vision get blurred and I want that people hear my sub 5 houses away when my windows are closed! :D :D :D Can a PCi, CS+ be enough? I would like to buy one and not returning it.
Thank you for all ur suggestions and ur thought!

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Claude:

Don't discount the link to Acoustic Visions that Martice provided. You can get *amazing* headroom and low extension for the money by going that route, particularly if you don't mind about 30 minutes of assembly. But even if you have Kyle put it together for you, it is still outstanding price/performance ratio. If you really want chest thumping base, look into a configuration with a Tempest 15" driver.

Billy Fife

Grip
I am also wondering about these two brands, like Claude is. I have looked at both websites. Some good reviews there for both brands.

Maybe I am confused, but Claude how much are you looking to spend your budget seems pretty high. That VT2 sub is what you are looking at?

I kinda like the looks of the VT3. New i guess.

Assuming I am not confused, any reason why you are not looking at more expensive subwoofers than VT2?

svs has many models more expensive. hsu has the "TN Series Subwoofers - More Bass For Less Space!". anyone know anything about these?

Billy Fife

Grip
Nice search feature.

I did find some information:

the Hsu TN1220HO + 250 watt amp is $849 direct from Hsu. This sub was tested as -3db @ 15Hz. It was tested to have 110db of clean output at 20Hz.

Can anyone tell me how this compares to other data. Thanks a bunch.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Billy. It seems that you may want try one of the big guns from SVS like the 'Ultra'. I've only heard dual 2531's and they really impressed me. I did hear the HSU at the Home Entertainment Expo last year and it was very good as well.

However, if your budget won't get you the bass that you desire commercially, I can only recommend one of two other options and that's DIY (do it yourself) or have a custom made sub built for you. The second is the route I took and twice for that matter. If you can afford $650-700, you can easily afford a Tempest based sub customized with your choice of color and finish. If you do a search for Tempest subs in the DIY section on this wonderful site, maybe this is where the answer to your demanding bass requirements may be. If you are really sick about bass and you have about $1,400 dollars to spend on your discriminating tastes dual Tempest at that price will surely take care of any bass problems that you may have and I think that price(depending on your choice of finish)may include amplification as well.

All of the above are good choices. However, if you don't mind going the custom route, it will really be hard to beat the price performance you get when you go DIY or custom built.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Claude,

If you live in Canada...it could be best to stay with a brand like Paradigm with the current exchange rates. I'm very surprised you found the ps1000 to be more powerful than the PW2200. Could you detail how you made the comparison?

Billy, the -3dB/15hz data on the Hsu comes from Keele. So if you are going to directly compare that to other subs...it would be most accurate to use other reviews Keele did using the same reviewing methods.(for example, I think keele measured the servo15 to

Richard Greene

Stunt Coordinator
To Claude who wrote:

"I'm not enough decided to buy a sub. I'll buy one for sure this summer. I just begin to think about it. I have presently a PS-1000 subwoofer from Paradigm and I would like to have the same or EVEN MORE SPL and a better sound quality. I hate that boominess! "

RG replies:

Not that many years ago the PS-1000 was among the best subwoofers you could buy for $500. Not a great subwoofer and not much output below 25Hz., but the best subwoofer

you could get for $500. I recall a Tom Nousaine review that said essentially the same thing.

Today there are cheaper subs that are better.

The PS-1000 is in no way a "boomy" subwoofer.

If it sounds boomy, blame your room and/or the location of the subwoofer and your ears within that room.

If you put another subwoofer in the SAME place the PS1000 is located, the probability is very high that it will also sound boomy (even if it is the "best" subwoofer money can buy).

The listening room is such an important factor in subwoofer sound quality that comparing subwoofers that were auditioned in different listening rooms is meaningless.

The "best" subwoofer money can buy playing in boomy listening room can be outperformed (sound quality, not

maximum volume) by an inexpensive subwoofer in a good

(non-boomy) listening room.

In fact, in many rooms (most rooms, based on my own experience with subwoofers going back to 1980), an inexpensive subwoofer from SVS, Adire Audio, HSU, etc.

used with with a parametric equalizer such as the very inexpensive Behringer Feedback Destroyer ($129)

should be able to outperform (bass quality, not quantity) the "best" subwoofer money can buy used without an equalizer. That's how much of an effect the listening room has on bass frequency response.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Richard,

The PS-1000 is a Bandpass design I believe. I have not heard this sub but I automatically associate bandpass as boomy but as I said I have not heard it so unless they changed the laws of physics with this design I would consider it boomy just because of the design. But maybe someone else with more experience with this sub can comment on it's boomyness.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Dennis,

I should have wrote *if you are looking for the best performance around $650..the 20-39PCi is a good bet.

Around $550, the 25-31PCi.

They will perform very similar down to about 23-25hz...with the 20-39 having about 1/3 octave more extension then the 25-31PCi. Check out some of the recent reviews on the 25-31PCi...I doubt you will be sorry you got the 31PCi.

TV

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

I found the PS-1000 more powerful than the PW-2200 because it succeded to move things in the listening area of my dealer. The PW-2200 didnt do that. Also, I could feel MORE ENERGY from the PS-1000 subwoofer. Tom, I think that you told me before that the PS-1000 has a 120 or 130W amp. You are wrong if you say so. The version number 3 has now a 175W rms amp. Maybe its why you say that you are surprised of the PS-1000 performance compared to the PW-2200. In other way, when I ask my dealer can I have a Paradigm sub which has MORE ENERGY than the PS series? Then they say not really. The Servo-15 has some really LOW bass but it won't give you the max SPL the PS series are able to give you.

My PS-1000 sub isnt boomy? YEAH it is. It seems that my sub is always behind my towers during a boom boom song or during a rock song. Also, I find it not very fast especially when very fast drum is played. Its why I say that it is boomy. Also, I just miss totally the low frenquencies with it (under 25-30 Hz) Would a PS-1200 be better?

I have a budjet of about 1000-1500$ US for now. Like I said, I was looking for a SVS CS+ OR PC+ maybe. But I dont see enought the sub specifications. You should add more specs about your subs Tom and Ron since we are not able to listen to them before purchasing them. Still, I dunno yet what sub im gonna buy...

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom,
I found the PS-1000 more powerful than the PW-2200 because it succeded to move things in the listening area of my dealer. The PW-2200 didnt do that. Also, I could feel MORE ENERGY from the PS-1000 subwoofer.> Tom, I think that you told me before that the PS-1000 has a 120 or 130W amp. You are wrong if you say so. The version number 3 has now a 175W rms amp.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
Yeah, the PS-1000 and PW-2200 were at the SAME location. I listend first the the PW-2200 and after I listened to the PS-1000 with the same song same ALL. He switched often between the two subs. I was like
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
when I heard the PS-1000 the first time.
The PW-2200 produce a better quality bass than the PS-1000. But if I speak about the amount of ENERGY the two subs can do, there is nothing to compare, IMHO the PS-1000 wins. My body was like shaking with the PS-1000. It was not the case with the PW-2200. With the PW-2200, i felt more the LOW end, I was like wooooooow! better lows! But I just didnt have the same puch than with the pS-1000. I had a hard time to chose which one I wanted to have. The PW-2200 produced better sound, but the PS-1000 was more POWERFULL (maybe it is due to its bandpass design).
What I would like to have, is a sub which produce tremendous LOW ends and tremendous PUCH on the body. Why did I talk about the CS+ or PC+? Because I read many reviews here in this forum and most of the listeners tell that they feel a lot the bass, they get punched by the bass and they say wow! the sound quality is superb. I guess that its what I would want :D
Its what my dealer says: the PS-1000,1200 subwoofers are the winners of Paradigm in OUTPUT (maybe not clean output cuz u cant hear a lot the distortion -> band pass design).
Damn, what sub should I buy now? I'm all confused and I won't stop to repeat it 'till I know what im gonna buy :confused: I'm a Canadian, yes. And many people tell me that I should go with Paradigm subs for their performance/value ratio. But when I go in your website, I always see those beautifull drivers you put in your subs and they seems to be subs of very high quality.
I thought sometimes to buy a SERVO-15. It is able to play very very low without distortion. But does it have PUNCH in the higher bass range (50-80 Hz) like your subs? By the way, you say also that two PCi subs = 3 Servos-15 in output. I get better value here if its true with your PCi sub.
Also, can you tell what is "OUTPUT" for you? (ex.: 2 Pci can equal 3 Servo-15). What does mean output for you... ENERGY? Ability to shake things? Abitlity to pucnh you?
Thank you Tom to spend time to answer me as completely as u can!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks