Svs Vs Diy Sub

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by bernard&*, Apr 13, 2004.

1. bernard&*

bernard&* Stunt Coordinator

hi good day! I do love Svs but it is impossible to have it(interms of money,here in manila philippines it tripple the price due to shipping cost)
    my option is to build a DIY sub, but i want to know how well is going to be as compared to SVS ,so pls give some comment about this thread.also i read on other thread that there is only two great sub ,first is DIY the second is SVS.i want to kow why.
    [​IMG]

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

There are plenty of great subs on the market. SVS is popular with knowledgeable enthusiasts because they offer one of the highest (if not the highest) performance values in commercial OEM subs.

With that said, DIY can't be beat for the $$, and is a lot of fun too. Basically you exchange sweat equity for $$. If you are a first time DIY'er, I strongly recommend sticking to a set of plans from a manufacturer for "can't miss" proven results.

I would look very hard at the "SBB4" or "Adire Alignment" box plans for the 15" Tempest. Everything is laid out for you, and you can even buy inexpensive kits that include all the small parts needed for a turn-key installation.

Go here for details:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Vent...plications.PDF

Also, something similar (in enclosure volume) would probably work well with the Stryke AV-15 MkII. Check with John Janowitz at Stryke to be sure, though, as the t/s parameters probably differ somewhat on the two drivers and I doubt they would give the same exact results. Styke does provide some suggested alignments for the AV-15, but no actual plans AFAIK.

Good luck in your quest for affordable great bass!

Regards,

Ed

3. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

Hey Bernard;

If you send your shipping address I can do a shipping quote for you ([email protected]) but though shipping to Manila isn't cheap it definitely wouldn't triple the price of the sub.

4. bernard&*

bernard&* Stunt Coordinator

Hi Edward ,
    thanks for the effort i will look forward
    for that suggestion.by the way , I do appreciate the
    shoot out bet. Pb1-isd and stf-3 , i learned a lot.
    Mabuhay!![​IMG]