SVS vibration help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Dennison, Oct 19, 2001.

1. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

Sep 10, 2001
    I have an SVS 20-39PC sub which I have owned for about 2-3 months. I get a vibration or buzzing sound from the sub at certain bass frequencies. It is very apparent in certain movies such as Last of the Mohicans, The Phantom Menace, and others with significant base. It is not a constant sound and only comes at some mid to low frequency. I can reduce it by lowering the volume, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a good sub.
    I tried reversing the polarity and running the power to a separate circuit in the house based on other buzzing threads that I read. That didn't help. I also don't get a constant humm which it sounded like others were getting.
    My sub volume was calibrated with Video Essentials to about 4 dB above the rest of the speakers.
    Has anybody else experienced this problem or have any recommendations to solve it? Let me know if I need to provide more information.
  2. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Jul 6, 1999
    I would first contact Tom or Ron at SVS about your problem as they have probably encountered almost everything by now. In the meantime, one thing you could check is that there be no air leaks around both the driver and the amp. Air leaks may manifest themselves as a buzz or rattle at certain frequencies.
    Another cause could be a loose component on the amp itself but that would be a long shot. As I said, Tom and Ron are the experts.
    Good luck. I have the 20-39PC and it is a wonderful sub.
    John F. Wilson
    Timing is Everything.
    [email protected] Weekdays
    [email protected] Nights and Weekends
  3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jun 2, 2001
    If you are certain it's not something in the room, or that the sub isn't just hitting it's max output, and beyond, we should plan to have that thing replaced.
    Tom and I will explore some things if you have time via e-mail and if that yields no joy, we'll just plan on swapping it out.
  4. Howard Christian

May 19, 2001
    Actually either Tom, Ron or Eric told me I'm the 1st person to get 2 damaged subs. Darn UPS.
    I had 2 PC sub go bad on me. One was because of the amps rattling and one more a very similar problem to yours.
    Talk to Tom or Ron and I'm sure they are gonna work something out for you. They are a bunch of great people.Maybe try a CS series instead(I haven't had any problems with mine since going for the CS)