What's new

SVS upgrade? What should I do (1 Viewer)

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I've got a 20-39 PC Plus. I've just spotted a Crown K2 going for good price.

I actually need a 2 channel amp anyway (for rears)- perhaps I should buy the Crown now and use it for that, when I've bought the projector sell my SVS off and get a passive SVS?

Should I sell off my PC Plus and buy a CS-Ultra? Perhaps a SS?

I really need a new display. In fact my HT has no display at all. Nothing. Nada. Not even a 14" portable. But this is a fairly good offer to let go.

What are the negatives of having the pass-through Crown-SVS instead of the features of the PC Plus amp (SS filter, phase, etc) in real terms, and not just "twiddly" things?

Any help appreciated.

Damn you lot- if I didn't have a quick search for Crown Kx I wouldn't have seen it! :D

(wait I have a 28" widescreen I can go back to for while) ;-)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
John;

How well does the SVS perform in your room? If the room is big and the PC-Plus is having a hard time dealing with some of the more bass intense movies, I'd say pick up an Ultra or an SS.

However, you already have a pretty phenomenal sub. The money you would spend on that might be better used to buy a new display device. After all, it's hard to watch those bass intense movies if you can't actually see them, right? :)

Ned

Supporting Actor
Waste of money and effort. The PC+ amp is more than enough and the Ultra only puts out another 2-3db.

Sounds like you need stuff in the video portion much more.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Cheers for the info; decided not to get the Crown- Tom V said that the BASH amps used in the PC line have some EQ built-in on the amplifier to match the driver & enclosure to get a more even response. If I use a off the shelf amp the frequency response will not be the same compared to a active SVS. Most likely need a off-board EQ to flatten it out. That means more boxes, higher expensive, more cables, and more ways to screw the sound up if I don't know what I'm doing (EQ'ing is a long technical procedure)

At least Tom gave me honest info...in fact he lost a sale on a SS ($1900) because of that! I'll come back later and buy a PC Ultra v2/v3 because I know he's not full of BS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks