SVS upgrade - add a second sub? What would you do - and why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

About a month ago, I bought a single CS-Ultra with the Samson 1000 amp. This thread is not intended to be a review- I'll save that for a future post. Suffice it to say that everything said about these subs in hundreds of other posts all over the web is gospel truth -they're the real deal.

So here's my deal...

I'm contemplating moving to a two sub configuration to even out bass response in the room and add just a wee bit more slam. I'm still within my 45 day "trial" on the Ultra.

My room is 35 x 16 x 8h and is a sealed, dedicated HT room. Typical listening for movies is below reference but loud enough to make the point. [​IMG]

What's my best option - and why?!?

[a] Chill out and enjoy one SVS sub. After all, it's incredible, unrivaled bass.

Bite the bullet for a second CS-Ultra or wait in the weeds to pick one up as B stock or used.

[c] Return the single CS-Ultra I have now and get a pair of the new highly anticipated CS+ subs and power 'em with the Samson amp I got with my CS-U.

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I go for option #4 if you are happy with the volume of the bass they put out.

Option #4: Get an equalizer to smooth out your bass response and consider adding a CS+ or even a plain CS tuned to about 25 Hz for more slam.

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

"My room is 35 x 16 x 8h"

Whoa. That's not a HT, it's a REAL theater ;^) No question, get a second sub. Unless you are giving demos to little children and your grandma, you need the woofage.

If you are flush with cash and/or concerned about having totally identical subs, then you can't go wrong with getting another CS-Ultra. But if it was my money, I'd build on Bhagi's suggestion...get a 20-39CS-Plus AND an ART 351 equalizer. The sub is 10% off right now for you as an SVS owner and will come within spitting distance of the CS-Ultra in performance. Its tune and size will match the CS-Ultra all but perfectly.

Adding the ART will allow you to harness and tweak your bass for max impact. Given all the power you'll have I'd dial in a bit of subsonic filter at say 15Hz, and then bump up the response at 20 and 25Hz. It that doesn't have folks jumping out of their seats nothing will.

I think subjectively you'll more than double your pleasure in the bass arena for what??? About $700? Hardly chicken feed I'll admit, but you'll find it nearly as signficant an upgrade at adding the first sub I bet.

Ron

4. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Tes definitely 2 subs - I have a servo 15 along the rear 1/4 distance away from the side wall. Second sub pdr 10 to fill in mid bass half distance along the side wall - whoa what an impact. Try it youll like it.

5. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Paul, I'm thinking just about the same thing as you are..

Interesting idea Ron to get a 20-39+. I'm gonna assume that will a tad bit more "slam" or punch??

Will the 20-39 be able to stay with the Ultra in terms of not bottoming out on those tough scenes like TPM intro???

Thanks!!

-- John

6. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Ron/Tom,

What do you think about John's questions?

-PG

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi guys,
    Paul, ideally...I'd add a second CS_Ultra. The 20-39CS+ would be very close in overall performance...but I'd just wait until you saw a B-stock CS_ultra. This way...you won't have a 2039cs+ and a CS_Ultra and then start wondering in 3 months if you should have just spent a little more for and went for the dual CS_Ultras[​IMG] (I trust you've seen the Brian weatherhead review on the Ultras?)
    Juan, if you want to add a CS+ to the CS_Ultra...and currently like the Ultra's extension and output...I'd just go for the 20-39CS+. This will closely emulate the overall sound of the Ultra right up to the loudest output levels you could imagine(in your small room!)
    John,
    the 20-39CS+ and the CS_Ultra would perform extremely close to one another right up to the limits of the 20-39CS+. The CS_Ultra will have a 1-2dB maximum output advantage over the 20-39CS+. Not much...but there's only one top dog at SVS,and it's the CS_Ultra right now [​IMG]
    TV

8. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Tom,
    Yeah, you've got my number...I go back and forth on the CS+, but a second CS-U is where I'll probably land. Just can't quit until I know I've "topped out".
    If you mean this Brian Weatherhead review...
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2001.html
    Remember?...I sent you the link!
    [​IMG]
    -PG

9. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Option e) Bite the bullet, send back the amp and sub and get the SS, K1 amp, and eq. [​IMG]

10. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

heh heh!
    BryanZ, even I have my limits!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]