SVS Ultras popping

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Gordon B, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Gordon B

Gordon B Agent

All of a sudden, my twin SVS Ultras have begun to make a loud popping noise (they feel like they are bottoming out) everytime I turn the source selector knob on my Denon 4800 receiver. They even popped a few times when the knob wasn't being turned. Nothing is coming out of the center and mains or surrounds. The popping noise is at the same loudness level no matter what the volume level is on the 4800. I have the Ultras hooked up to a Sampson 1000 amp through an Art 351 equalizer. I originally suspected the ART was the culprit since it normally puts out a small pop when I turn it on. No pops are heard with the Smapson off, but the pop still occurs when ART is off and the Sampson on. Can someone help me troubleshoot this; I am afraid of damaging my two boomers. Many thanks.

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Why are you turning these on and off? Most never turn them off... just leave them idling until the receiver turns on. Other than that, sounds like your Denon has a signal problem.
    My external amps and SVS stay "ON" all the time. Not a problem.

3. Gordon B

Gordon B Agent

eaving the sub amp and equalizwer on won't affect anything. The popping happens when the source selector knob on the Denon is turned. I need some advice on how to identify which piece is causing the problem -- the reciever, the sub amp or the equalizer.

4. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Email Tom V at SVS..sounds like a pretty normal problem...bad connection?? drop him a line..I'm sure he's heard about this one before[​IMG]

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

You can try taking the EQ out of the signal path, but chances are it is a receiver problem. You'll need to contact Denon or the local Denon dealer and see if they can help you out. The receiver should be momentarily muting the subwoofer output when inputs/listening modes are switched.

Tom V.
    SVS

6. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

Gordon,

I used to own the 4800 also and had the same problem you are describing. This is a known problem at Denon. The circuit that mutes the sub when you change inputs is bad and will need to be sent to Denon for repair.

7. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

No need to email Tom V from SVS..he's IN THE HOUSE! Hiya TV[​IMG]

8. Gordon B

Gordon B Agent

Thanks for the excellent advice Tom and Andy. I had already tentatively concluded it was the receiver, but was hoping for something simple. I will probably try pulling the equalizer out just in case, but I fear you're right. Maybe now is the time to go to separates (I already have a parasound 1500 driving my mains). If I do go that route, I presume I could go ahead and use the Denon in the interim as long as I don't change inputs on the receiver while the sub amp and eq are on. Of course, if the popping happens while the gear is playing, as it already has on a couple of occasions,I'm toast.
    How's life up in Northern Virginia Andy? I lived in Fairfax for 25 years before moving to paradise here in Punta Gorda.