SVS Ultra - Tunable Ports???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Cain, Oct 20, 2001.

1. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Hi Gang.
    Didn't I read a while back that the SVS Ultra would have the option of some sort of simple plug so the user could try out different port tuning frequencies for his/her CS Ultra Sub???
    Has this come to pass yet?? If it has, does it ship with the sub, or does this have to be purchased separately??
    Also, have any of the ULTRA folks had problems bottoming their subs with the THX trailer in TPM like other folks have??
    Thanks!!
    -- John

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

John,
    We've not finished the foam plug part of the "tuneable ports" thing but it's not forgotten either.
    The bottom line on "bottoming" a CS-Ultra with The Phantom Menace is that it just isn't gonna happen unless you are calibrated way high (or as seems to be the case with some, not calibrated at all...just done by ear). TPM proves that casual, or too high calibration just doesn't cut it any more. You need to get to know your SPL meter if you want to enjoy TPM the way it was meant to be.
    FWIW I watched TPM with a single CS-Ultra going last night and never came close to straining the sub in the least. Sounded fantastic; there is stunningly low/powerful bass all thru the movie (expect more measurements from Tom in the future). If you have a "run of the mill" commercial sub with the typically anal amp limiters and subsonic filtering you never even get more than a portion of TPM soundtrack (but of course calibration and bottoming are less of an issue). It's not marketiing hype, it's a matter of physics.
    For me, I'll take proper setup and justice being done to the bass any day of the week. There is SO much going on in this movie than most folks watching it realize.
    BTW, I'm set at exactly 75dB on all speakers using Video Essentials, and this is one of the first movies I've watched in a while at full ref. level, with only a moment or two that seemed overcooked. I agree the dialogue was a bit soft here and there, but the bass was just about perfect. I'll be running dual subs and a higher bass calibration on my next viewing.
    Ron

3. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Thanks for the reply, and info Ron.
    I'm 99.999999999999% certain I am going to buy a SVS Ultra for my soon-to-be-under-construction dedicated HT.
    Bottoming is my biggest concern, since I do it all the time now with older my NHT Subwoofer, on stuff that is not too challenging.
    Glad to hear the tunable ports idea for the Ultra has not been forgotten.
    Take care,
    -- John
    ------------------