What's new

SVS Ultra Choice (1 Viewer)

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator

To answer your question directly, the Ultra. Lately, I've been watching movies from 6 to 8 dbs below reference with the sub around 4 dbs hot. Based on my post above, this leaves me with around 5-8 dbs of unused power.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
It's certainly hard to argue against getting a single PC-Ultra over the featureless and more expense CS-Ultra Samson combo that I own. But I digress:)

In owning my Ultra for 16 months the only feature I don't have that would be nice is the single band PEQ. I will likely get the auto-eq Behringer product anyway but the one band eq would still be nice to have.

The high pass filter will give peace of mind but I've yet to bottom it.

The variable phase is nice but I don't miss it. By creativelly using your sub speaker distances, you should be able to get a good match.

I don't mind rack space for an amp. That's why I have the rack. It's also easier to cut speaker wire and experiment with placement since you don't have to worry about power outlets and a fixed length cable.

In my case I really like the visual feedback of the 3 segment LED the Samson provides. I can't tell you how many times I've thought it's not going to go any louder only to find that I can go up another 3 dbs without clipping. The lights really illustrate the power demand placed on the amp when really low bass is present. I find this small feature informative and beneficial.

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a Yamaha 2400 and a PC-Ultra.

Assuming:
You've got a 4,300 sq room
Footprint is not an issue
WAF is not an issue

Between the CS and PC-Ultra I'd go with the Ultra. The PEQ is nice. The phase control enabled me to get a couple dB higher. Besides, if you ever decide you want to upgrade to a PB2-Ultra I think the resale of the Ultra will be easier.

Between the PB2+ and the Ultra I'd go with the PB2+ given the size of your room.

terence

Supporting Actor

I would go with the PB2+ with a room that size, my room is the 4,300 cubic ft too. I went with dual 20-39PC+'s, also the PB2+ will give you more output than 1 PC-U. 4,300 cubic ft is a lot room to to fill with bass, and the PB2+ will fit the bill easy! It will play with no strain, clean and still have gas left in the tank.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
With both set to the 20 Hz tune, the PB2+ will have a 4-5 dB edge on a single Ultra in the 25-100 Hz range. In the 16-25 Hz range it would be a lot closer, but the PB2+ will still hold a slight advantage.

If you set the PB2+ in the 25 Hz tune, you'll naturally lose significant output below about 22 Hz, but in exchange you'll gain even more of an advantage over a single Ultra in the more common DVD bass frequencies of 22-35 Hz.

I read some of Scott's impressions on the PC-Ultra SQ and I concur (and have never waivered in this opinion since I first heard an Ultra), that the TV-12 has a unique sound of its own - subtle, but there. I'm looking forward to the PB2-Ultra and doing back to back comparos against the PB2+.

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
Well you guys aren't making this any easier, LOL

So I wonder how Dual PC-Ultra's will compare to the PB2-Ultra, time will tell I guess

I don't care for the wood on the PB2-Ultra really, if they would make it to match Rockets, now that would be a different story.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Wow. Well I think you guys convinced me I need to wait. I have a 250SQ FT room. I have vaulted ceilings. I need to figure out my cubic feet. But do you guys think one PC-Ultra would be fine? Or should I just keep saving up for a PB2-Ultra? Because it will be a long time before I can get that thing. But I could always get a second PC-Ultra later. :D :D :D

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
As for your room size, assuming an 8' wall height and not knowing your vault pitch. It should be around 2300-2500 cu.ft.

I have to say that I am leaning toward what you are thinking. Get one PC-Ultra right now, down the road I can always add another if I need to. I can't imagine that I PB2-Ultra will be a bunch better then the 2 PC-Ultra's, but what do I know, LOL

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

After I get a PC-Ultra here for photos you are welcome over for another demo. After that, unless you have already comitted to something else, I'll slip the thing in the back of your Toyota (after secretly scanning your credit card) and swear up and down to the wife I FORCED you to take it.

Then again, it'll probably be hard to let it go myself so you might just have to beg for it.

Could go either way really. In any case, the one I have coming has your name on it. I think the guys here are all pitching in to help pay for it actually ;^)

Ron
SVS

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jesse,
If I were in your position, I'd get one PC Ultra for now. If you need more, buy a twin,

My problem is that I can't buy another(buying one is already an issue of itself) so I have to buy the best I can which in this case it seems is the pb2+.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks