SVS Ultra Choice

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by BrentG, Feb 25, 2004.

1. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

Well I have decided to bite the bullet and do it. And I have decided that I want to go with a Cylinder and not a cube, I just like the looks.

From their a narrowed it down to either the PC-Ultra or the CS-Ultra with their Samson 1000w amp (500 per channel).

My room is 2,600 cu.ft. - it is attached to a 1,700 cu.ft. room buy a 5' wide arch way. This is 95% for watching movies.

So I guess the big question is, is their any real difference with a PC and the 525 watt PEQ BASH amp -vrs- the CS with the Samson amp at 500w?

With the CS I can see where I can easily add another CS for duals because the Samson will support duals. Also if I only run one CS I can run my bass shackers off the other side of the amp (even though I probably wont need them anymore,LOL)

The CS with the Samson is only $150 more then the PS.

Also can anyone give me an idea of the out put of say a Ultra or Dual Ultra's -vrs- PB2-Plus.

Sorry for all the questions, it got kinda long I guess.

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I was in a similar dilema(about the PC Ultra vs. the CS Ultra). What I would do is to get the Samson and the single CS Ultra. Then as you noted, you would have an extra channel of amplification for another sub. Also, good speaker cable is cheaper($50 for 12 G 250ft cable) than interconnects.

3. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

I would go for the active PC Ultra IMO. It offers features that the passives do not- SS filter, adustable phase. You might even not need a second Ultra. If you bought the Samson you will want to buy another passive Ultra even though one is enough.

I would say go down the passive route IF there is a amp which has the features of the Samson + SVS BIB + SVS PEQ/BFD. To get to similar level you need to buy the Samson, BIB and a BFD, with more cables between each unit (bad) and power points.

Perhaps it's time SVS produce their own 2 channel amp? [​IMG]

I have not heard a PC Ultra or Passive Ultra.

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I also agree with the PC-Ultra. It is easier now and you can still add another sub through the pass through. The CS you have to buy something that can do phase, crossover, etc. I think the PC is the way to go.

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

If you have a receiver, you already have something that does crossover. If you add another passive sub, the overall package will be cheaper than with 2 PC Ultras for the same performance.

6. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I also vote for the PC-U over the CS, because of the plug and play & features. If you want to add another, you will still have the flexiablity collocate the subs or run them seperated in each cornor like me. [​IMG] Only peice you would have add is a Y-Adaptor cable if you pick up a 2nd PC-U.

If you collocate both subs (PC-U) together they will outgun the PB2+, due to more enclosure space the cylinders will have the advantage. If you seperate them it will be close around 25Hz, but below 20Hz the PC-U will walk away from the PB2+ due to the lower tune on the cylinders.

7. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

But since my Yamaha V2400 does all the bass managment is any of that extra stuff really important on the sub? I have the phaze and crossover on my current Yamaha sub but don't use it do to the fact that the reciever takes care of it all.

I should have said before what my recieve was, forgot.

Does that change any of your thoughts?

It would be one less peice of equipment layin around with the PC, all the hard cores on here seem to preach seperates though.

8. terence

terence Supporting Actor

The seperates they speak of is Pre/pros & amps for better sound quallity with movies & music. Subs are a different beast all together.

9. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

OK that does make sence.

One other thing that I kinda forgot about is that the PC can be tuned to 12,16 or 20 hz

10. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

The SS filter filters out info in the lowest of ranges that might damage your sub if it were to try and reproduce. I doubt your receiver has such a feature. Of course, if you don't play load then you probably don't need it anyway.

11. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

PC-Ultra all the way!

1) Infinitely variable phase control (0-180). Really lets you dial in the sub for the room modes and interaction with the mains.

2) Custom high pass/infrasonic filters and equalization at each tune point. This helps prevent woofer over-excursion below the each tune point, and also helps flatten/extend the response at each tune point.

3) An adjustable low pass filter with enable/disable switch. Normally this control is set to disable if filtering is done at the pre/pro, but in the right hands enabling the low pass filter can be used to somewhat tailor the response (like knock out a peak) in 60-90 Hz region (sort of like a crude parametric EQ).

4) A true single band PEQ (with three controls) which can be used to knock out a room induced peak anywhere along the sub response curve.

5) Plug and play ease of hook-up.

This 1-2-3-4-5 knockout punch feature set is a HUGE advantage over the passive unit IMO. These are not just "plate amps". SVS puts a TON of R&D into making the BASH amps an integral, custom, sophisticated, and IMO indispensable component of the powered subwoofer.

In my best Valley Girl voice - "passive is so last week." :b

Ed

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I dare you to stand in front of my three 25-31CS+s and say in your best Valley Girl voice that they are so (last week) Ed! Even if you are right.[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

I'll vote for the CS with the Samson.

1- If something ever happens to the amp, you can be in business by swapping it with another from a receiver etc., while the main amp is being repaired. You won't loose your bottom end while this is happenning.

2- The amp will not be subject to all the shake and vibration that a built-in subwoofer amp is. This translates into better reliability. I know there are those that do not consider this an issue, but the majority
    of sub problems that I see in these forums are amp-related.

3- Your sub will be lighter and easier to service, if the driver ever needs replacing or checking-up.

This is similar to the Receiver vs separates issue.

14. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Having recently moved from 2 PB2+s to 2 PCUltras I can honestly say the 2 Ultras SEEM to perform better than the PB2+. Down low, below 35hz, the Ultras shine.

Some will argue you will gain a lot of overhead with the 2 PB+. this is very true if you needing to listen to 120db every moment.

I have about 8 hours on the PC Ultras and they deliver the bass with power and authority. The driver difference is more noticable in music. The Ultra has a very nice kick to it. The cost between drivers is worth it to me.

I spent a few hours calibrating the dual PCUltras, they are on opposite sides of the HT this link is the data obtained. On one of the charts the parametric eq was used, the one on the ultra.

You will need Excel to open it.

PC ULTRA Bass lines

15. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Ha! You will probably blast me into the next zip code! I'm coming to market with a triple splitter (vs. a Y splitter) just for guys like you. You can deep six the passives and get 3 25-31PC+ and run them all off the single sub out.

16. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

So if I was down to comparing 1 PC Ultra and 1 Pb2+ for a 4,300 cubic foot room, which way would you lean? From what I can tell the price difference is 100 more. I would think a single Pb2+ would outgun an Ultra but I will take your word more than mine [​IMG]

17. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Personally I would ante up the extra money for the PB2 Ultra or two PC ultras. Its easy to spend you money.

In a room that big the extra the PB2+ offers might be a better fit if the budget is limited.

The bash amps do not add a great deal of weight to the amp.

I looked at the CS models but the thought of adding another unit to the equipment rack I opted for the PC models, then again the PB2+.

18. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I have a fixed budget of $1300 so I guess I should go after the Pb2+ you say?

19. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

This is sort of dependent on how you measure the difference. The example below is my opinion based on frequencies 35 hz and below found in action flicks.

I'm guessing a PB2+ would offer around 6dbs more output if run in it's stock tune configuration. When the PB2+ is tuned to 20 it would probably measure around 3 dbs louder.

Whether the difference is important to you has more to do with how loud you like to listen to movies. If you were to corner load an Ultra in a room of your size you should be able to play most action flicks at reference provided the sub is no more than 2 dbs hot.

FWIW, I have a CS Ultra corner loaded 15 feet from the prime listening position in a 7500 cubic foot room. With few exceptions I can play all movies at reference provided the sub is set flat against Avia and my receiver's internal test tones. Movies you may be familiar with LOTR:TT, FInding Nemo and Toy Story can all be played 3 dbs from reference with the sub running about 6dbs hot. I don't have a subsonic filter and have never bottomed this sub.

The one cool thing about the Samson amp is that it has a clip light letting you know when you are asking to much of the amp. This is my indication to stop increasing the volume. I should also note that on various bass heavy scenes the Ultra continues to increase it's output as the volume is increased. It's output appears to only be limited by the available watts as the ratshack meter shows db increases with each db increase on the receiver.

20. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

Ok now I hate to have in intervention here, but I think you guys need to seek HELP [​IMG]