SVS subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Now I'm interested in these SVS subwoofers everybody talks about. I've been looking at the JBL pb12 sub(12 inch, 250W). What makes the SVS subs so much better than the rest? Where are some good places online to get them?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Shawn,

SVS started up less than 3 yrs ago and has had a meteoric rise, which is astounding for a speaker/driver that's only sold online by mail, without being able to audition them.

After all this time and tons of positive responses, it's less a risk to order "unheard."

SVS isnt for everyone. It isnt supposed to be "Kick-Ass" tho it WILL. It can be nicely, and quietly, balanced into DVD playback booms as well as CD music bass.

Guys luv 'em, wives sometimes flinch at a big black cylinder in the living room...

Click on the SVS website at the top of the HTF homepage to read all about em. SVS-Ron and SVS-Tom actually will respond to a customer personally in looking for the best room fit and budget.

bill

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

4. Chris James

Chris James Stunt Coordinator

Hi Shawn! The JBL pb12 is a good little sub, but it is not in the same league as the SVS line. I bought a 16-46PCi (soon buying twin 16-46PC+s), and it is a great subwoofer. It will compete with subs costing twice as much.

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Main reason is that they build according to Hoffman's iron law (displacement, power, and size relation) using a high quality driver (pretty much a quality driver with better Qs, longer linear x max, stiff cone, and superior motor structure and spider) and using the T/S parameters of such driver to build the correct size enclosure for it with the correct tune (most companies design for a boost in the 40-80 hz harmonic overtones to give a suggested presentation of low bass).

Most subs from most mass manufacturers use a box too small, power too low (both power and quality), and a cabinet too weak (let's face it not building internal braces and making the cabinets smaller save $ in terms of labor and shipping) even for the quality (or lack thereof) of the woofer the sub does come with.

These reasons above are why SVS, Adire, HSU, and VMPS kill the competiton in their price range, simply that the builders, owners, and engineers of these brand of subs are hobbyists who didn't lose the feel of performance for the sight of bottom line (the more popular mass market subs can retain higher profit threshold simply because unless you're an online forum viewer of HT, you simply haven't heard of these companies that make the quality to dollar ratio leaders). Money will roll their way because the quality is better and eventually people will encounter their products either by going to a house of a serious hobbyist or simply living accidently next to one ("oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know I could knock your pictures off the wall also").

6. Anders N

Anders N Auditioning

Qouting Chris
    "You might even think the SVS was quieter than another sub, till the movie calls for it."

That is my impression too. Where my earlier boxed $1000 range subs had a "punch" feeling the SVS just seems flater in response (35-50Hz) and when the movie calls for it, the other subs has gone "Pfsssstbrrrrr" the SVS ROARS producing bass waves I didn´t know was there. A lot of rumble that is, and that´s what I think all other mainstream subs are not capable of.

7. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Shawn,

First off all, I don't own an SVS product only because of the black cylinder shape of the sub.

However, my research/impressions is there are very few if any negative feedback with this product line.

Customer Service is superb. The owners of the business frequent many of the online sites to assist with questions and potential troubleshooting if needed. The thing I find unusual is they do not stand on top of their cylinder and shout "SVS Rules."

Ron/Tom allow their target market to do that for them. I've found their input always very honest and upfront and SVS does not use negative comments about other's products to increase their sales. Very unusual.

SVS has a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like their product. Send it back, no questions asked. You would need to pay the shipping costs to return the product though. I doubt if you would.

Performance wise, I've read few, if any complaints on performance. Many times it's just placement or a tweak to acquire the best results. SVS is there to help if you need it.

If anything, after installing and hearing one, many of the owners want another one. That tells me a lot about the performance and quality as sub addiction can become quite the passion after hearing a quality product.

When you look at the business model for SVS it's based on a quality product, cost/performance, attention to detail at all levels, service if needed and excellent customer relations.

I don't think you could go wrong with this product line.

8. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

9. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Oppps.. Thanks for the correction.. [​IMG]

10. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Unless you have been to a very high end HT/HF shop, or are heavily into DIY, it's unlikely you have heard a sub that is actually flat down to 20 Hz or even lower.

Even some very expensive subs (the very fine sounding Klipsch RSW-15 comes to mind) take a major nose dive below 30 Hz and have virtually no usable output at or below 20 Hz.

SV subs ARE flat down to 25, 20 or even 16 Hz (you choose the model), with no midbass (35/40Hz) bloat. As Robert_Gaither (post #5 above) put it better than I could have, I think the primary reason is that the enclosure volume is so much larger than your typical box sub, it allows for a much lower tuning point. Overall, they are as clean, neutral, natural, and transparent sounding a sub as I have ever heard, AND they dig really, REALLY deep, AND they can play damn loud while doing it. You would have to pay a lot more $$, or get into a DIY project in order to better an SV sub - IMHO they have no peer in their respective price classes in terms of extension, THD, and SPL.

The frequency range from 30-15 Hz is literally another dimension in sound, and you will hear and feel things on MANY of your DVDs that you never knew even existed. Every time I play another of our 100+ DVDs for "the first time" (i.e., post SVS 20-39PC+), I hear something new.

Case in point - just before the final joust in A Knight's Tale, there are two very deep (but moderate amplitude) synthesized bass notes as the jousters lock eyes - I never heard THAT before!

Also, we watched The Replacement Killers last night - this DVD has loads of deep bass (again fairly moderate in amplitude) that we never completely heard/felt with our previous set of subs.

Update: We watched From Hell (DTS) last night for Halloween - Holy Cow - what a difference over the last set of subs! There is a boat load of really strong and deep bass here, and several sections contain SUBSONIC bass (I tuned the sub to 16 Hz for this DVD) that pressurizes the eardrums and literally moves the couch cushions and your guts but cannot be heard - only FELT. A great bass demo DVD! This DVD also is one of the few (along with Stars Wars PM) with the new THX exploding ball trailer.

Every time we fire up the HT system, it's a revelation - this sub is THAT good. Your only risk is return shipping costs - take a chance - you won't regret it.

Ed Mullen

11. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Customer service. They will also try to give you viable options if their sub will not work for you (size, looks). In my view, SVS is a customer service company that just so happens to make some of the best subs on the market.

12. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

Another thing that you will notice after listening to a SVS sub for a while is how "bloated and boomy" other subs sound. I watched a movie at a friends house with a Polk sub, the bass was so muddy it ruined the movie for me. I told him he HAD to get a SVS. He is currently "selling" his wife on the idea!

Dave