SVS Subwoofers, B&W 602s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Lopp, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Matt Lopp

Matt Lopp Extra

As a preface, I am upgrading a HT system that has crappy speakers. The system will primarily be used for movies. Right now I figure I require 5 speakers plus a sub and have a budget of about $1400. I want the system to reveal details, but to also enhance a larger-than-life experience when coupled with my 90" FPTV (don't we all?). The system is currently in a 11x11" room, but will eventually switch to a 22x14" room.

I've been lurking for a while and there's tons of info here. It's sometimes difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. Especially with the supposed good web deals like Rocket, Norh, and Swans Diva. Contrasting the web deals is my local dealer pushing the B&W 602s and 604s (demo pair for $1100).

Regarding the sub, the SVS 20-39PCi looks like a good deal, but is starting to push my limit at $549. However, it seems to come highly reccommended for the price.

Please inform me if the 20-39 would work well with the 602s or if there are better surround speaker systems for the buck ($1400).

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

Axiom M2Ti (5), SVS 16-46PCi, Behringer Feedback Destroyer. The BFD is to tame the bass problems with your room. Price for the whole set...$1200

3. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

I use 602s on all four corners with a CC6 center. I also have a SVS dual 20-39CSi(new driver)setup. The whole works blends great.

I honestly think the Divas or Rockets would be a step or 2 up from the 602s/604s but the B&W setup would sound very good and blend very well with an SV sub.

Unless you do a lot of 2 channel listening without a sub you really wouldn't need the 604s. IMO the 602s really don't lose anything to the 604s when you use a sub. I listened to the two extensivly when I bought mine and couldn't justify the extra money for the 604s.

Heck, you could use the extra savings you get from going with all 602s and buy a 20-39 PC plus. Or buy the Diva 4.1 setup that's on sale right now for $1198 and get a PC plus. Good luck on your decision.

4. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I had the very same set up with 602 mains, LCR6 center and 601 surrounds with the 20-39pc. You could also shave a hundred or two by dropping down to 600 or 601's. I currently have 600 surrounds with my CDM1NT mains and the 600's do a good job for surround duty.

You won't need the 604's with the SVS. The 602/20-39pc are a great match for HT and music IMHO. The 602's will get down pretty low for a bookshelf speaker. Just make sure you use a sound level meter to get it calibrated correctly.

Bob

5. Matt Lopp

Matt Lopp Extra

Thanks for the responses Cheeseheads and 49er.

Bill,
    Behringer equipment usually doesn't have a great reputation, except for (among a few other things) their feedback destroyer. You weren't the only one to volunteer this interesting suggestion.

Bob and Bob,
    The only advantage I've found with the 604's is the appearance factor of towers. Thus, I'm leaning towards the 602's so I can match all channels at a decent price.

Eventually, I'll have to figure out a good matching receiver...

6. Dylan

Dylan Extra

Matt, If you are looking for a 7.1 channel setup, the Denon 3801/3802 is a good quality receiver (110W/7 channels w/ 6-16 ohm impedance/channel, DTS-ES, DD-EX). I have the Denon 3801 (last years pre-Pro Logic 2 DSP model). The only disadvantage w/it is trying to manually configure radio stations (a lot of functions are able to be accessed only through the remote). I'm going to upgrade my speakers to maybe some BW 600 series 3 speakers. I haven't narrowed it down to specific models yet, but I'm taking this thread's comments into consideration.

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Well, my preference is to go either with the Ascend Acoustic system (5 CBM-170s and HSU VTF-2, possibly could get the VTF-3 if you go with 3 CBM-170s and a pair of HTM-200s) or the ceramic nOrh 4.0 video package (the wood looks much better but is slightly warm sounding whereas the ceramic is more neutral sounding and will tell you how good your source equipment truly is) for $850 and the SVS 20-39PCi. Either option would work well for you but get them only if you are willing to take a chance on internet only equipment. I was and I did. [​IMG]

8. Matt Lopp

Matt Lopp Extra

Ordered the 20-39 PCi today. I am now strongly considering the 602s. If only because a local dealer busted his ass setting up speakers for me to audition. I may stick with the 602s unless someone convinces me otherwise (i.e., they aren't worth the price).

The Denon 3802 does sound like a good choice. I'm considering either that or a similarly priced Marantz. Now if I could just remember where they were on sale.

9. Matt Lopp

Matt Lopp Extra

Ok. They "were" on sale at 6ave.com. Still might be able to get the $699 price if I called and asked nicely. [​IMG]

10. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

I have 602's all around with a 20-39 cs+. More than enough SPL and dynamic impact for HT.... especially for your 11X11 room. My room is 14X27 and it pumps out more sound than I'd ever use. the 602 is not too shabby with music too.

For HT alone, you're much better off getting the 602's instead of the 604's and putting that money saved into a good sub. But if you want to listen to 2 channel, the 604's might be a good choice if you don't like using a sub with your 2-channel.

Other brands like ascend, onix, axiom, etc... are all great brands. You can't go wrong with any of them.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've had various SVS setups in my house with my 602 / 601S2 setup in some local meets I've hosted. They are an awesome combination.

12. Ronald Volkman

Matt,

I use 601S2's (x4) with a CC6S2 and 600S3's as back surrounds. I use a Paradigm PW-2200 sub but I'm adding an SVS PC Plus 16-43 soon. I've always used the 601s as small and never "missed" any low end since the PW-2200 blends extremely well with them. In fact, when I got the 600S3's several weeks ago, I told the dealer that I might have gotten all 600's if I was starting now, just for the small size. (There were no 600's in Series 2)

But, if you have the space and the $$$, then the bigger speakers give you more options and flexibility. My Pioneer VSX-45TX allows a crossover of 50hz for all speakers, so if I had all 602's I might try that. The 601's get a little muddy when you feed them too much below 60hz.

BTW, I lived in Kenosha for 12 years until 1992. Live in NJ now.

Ron Volkman

13. Matt Lopp

Matt Lopp Extra

Thanks for the input folks.
    The SVS arrived and sounds good. Unfortunately, my crappy RCA receiver and Frankenstein speakers are dragging it down. [​IMG]
    The 602's sound like a good way to go, although the SVS may help the 601's enough to afford a center channel with the purchase.
    Ron, I've lived in "Kenowhere" for 9 months. Bummer there are no decent A/V stores. The closest I came to NJ was frequent visits to Philly while living in DC.

14. Herman S

Herman S Agent

I want to support what others had said in support of the 602 S3. I listened to them along with 601,602.5,604. I, like others, found that the 602s did not lose anything to the 604s when matched with a good sub.

I currently have a 6.1 setup with 602 S3 as my fronts and surrounds and LCR 600 for my center and rear. I use the ASW 650 as my sub. The system is powered by a Marantz SR8200. I found Marantz and B&W make a great match. It sounds awesome.
    If you are only interested in 5.1 sound, you can purchase a Marantz SR 7200 from accessories4less.com for a great price.

15. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

Let me second or third the guys above.

B&W and Marantz are really sweet and perfect matches. I have a small living room (in an apartment) so I decided on getting two pairs of 601S3, an LCR60 center, and an ASW300 sub. Since the Marantz SR7200 crossovers at 100hz, it wouldn't matter if I had 2 pairs of 602s or 601s or even 600s since the sub will handle the frequencies below 100 anyway.

Once I get a bigger place, an SVS or REL sub is definitely on my list.

The 602s looked too big for my room and it wouldn't look aesthetically nice. The 600s are cute, but if I decide to listen to music without the sub, it would be lacking in punch. So, I decided on the 601s. Even in 2 channel music, without the sub, I'm very much happy with it.

I only got my 601s for $280 per pair since margins are slim here in the Philippines. The shopowners are blessed with low rent, low labor, and low taxes. :)

If you do get the 602 and Marantz, learn from my experience... get either 12ga Acoustic Research copper wires, or IXOS 6003 (better) speaker wires and bi-wire them. Trust me and thank me later. :)