SVS subwoofer performance with Peavey, Crown or other "Pro"/"PA" amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_M, May 3, 2002.

1. Jeff_M

Jeff_M Stunt Coordinator

In keeping with the SVS theme of lots of bass for (relatively) little cash, I will be purchasing an unpowered version of SVS's CS+ series subs. My question is what kind of performance can I expect out of a professional or DJ amplifier? I ask this because I have seen many high-wattage Peaveys and Crowns on ebay for reasonable prices. I realize that when power full range speakers, audiophile amps can sound significantly different than low $, cheesy watt-pushers. But in this case, we are talking about BASS. Pure and simply moving a lot of woofer, with lots of power and tight control. To make my question more specific and easier to grasp, what if I were to power 2 25-31CS+ subwoofers with a Peavey PA amp rated at 450X2 RMS @ 4ohms? Is this combination compatible? Will I get good, tight bass?

2. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

May want to PM Gregg Loewen for first hand experience, as he is powering his two sonosubs with a Peavey amp.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Crown amps are rated among the best in the PA world. I would take a crown over a Peavy, Mackie, Samson, etc. anyday.

The only amps that would come close are QSC, Crest, Ashley, and a few others.

Which Crown were you looking at?

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Or check the hardware archives, as Pro Amps were discussed to death for DIY sub builders (sonosubs, the birth of SVS).

-Vince

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>To make my question more specific and easier to grasp, what if I were to power 2 25-31CS+ subwoofers with a Peavey PA amp rated at 450X2 RMS @ 4ohms? Is this combination compatible? Will I get good, tight bass?