SVS Subwoofer Hook-up Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joel()Les, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

I'm ordering an SVS PB1-1SD. I know placement has an effect on sound and I have identified my top 3 locations to place the unit. Choices #1 & 2 can be reached with a 15' cable (or less) . Choice 3 requires 25'.

Should I get a 25' cable and just coil it if I don't use location #3 or should I try to minimize cable length and order the 15' and hope my first 2 locations work out?

I plan to use a Canare LV-77 cable from Bluejeans.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I'd get the 25', 10 extra will not affect performance with a decent cable, but it'd bother me being rolled up like that if not using it, me being anal and all. [​IMG]

3. Evan:R

Evan:R Agent

I was in exactly the same position! I had two choices for my new PB1, and opted for the cable that would allow greater flexibility. I figured I was spending a good chunk of change on a quality sub, so the extra $10 to upgrade from one length to the next was nominal. It also gave me some flexibility for the future as well, since my current residence is by no means permanent. I would suggest buying a bettercables cable from SVS. They offer them at a huge discount and they are of the highest quality. [​IMG]

4. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

I second Evan:Rs advice. I bought a bettercable for my SVS and have been very happy with it.

5. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

The bluejeans cable will be fine. The issues are does an extra 10' really matter (probably not) and does coiling somehow induce a magnetic field? I need to do something with the extra cable if I get it. Especially since location #2 is only 5' from the AVR.

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Any coiled wire has the potential to become an inductor. I would avoid coiling the sub cable if you can. If coiling is unavoidable, try to keep it away from a power cord.

7. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

all my better cable sub cables were purchased thru SVS.

I also ran a length of RG6 and used coax/rca connectors as an experiment.

AS far as signal loss I wasn't able to discern any difference nor did the power meter on a 29 foot run.

Here are the parts I used
    f connector to rca x 2

wall plate x 2

f connectors