SVS Subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Najib_H, May 14, 2002.

1. Najib_H

Najib_H Stunt Coordinator

Man after reading all the posts on these boards it really seems these subs are the best thing on the planet. My question is are the really that good? Where can I hear them? And which modle is a good one to get?
    Also What subs did you guys have before you got your SVS. I am starting to get interested in them because my Infinity sub keeps failing (see realted post).
    Thanks in advance
    Najib
    www.roninonline.com

2. Najib_H

Najib_H Stunt Coordinator

Also where else can I get them instead of there web page. Can I get them cheaper?
    Thanks
    NAjib
    www.roninonline.com

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Only way to get one cheaper is either buy it used or build it yourself. They are only available through the website. Prior to my 20-39CS I had an Audiosource SW-10. World of difference now.

4. ConradC

ConradC Extra

I'm not that far from you. I'm in Rolling Meadows. I picked up a pair of 20-39CS+ w/ Samson Amp not too long ago. If you want, email me and you can come over to hear it. [​IMG]

5. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Man after reading all the posts on these boards it really seems these subs are the best thing on the planet. My question is are the really that good?
    Nah, all those other posts were wrong [​IMG]
    (proud 20-39CS owner)

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    For the price, they don't get much better! Sure, there are better subs out there but at many times the SVS price. The amazing thing about SVS is the quality and quantity of bass you get at it's price point. Nearly unbeatable!

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

The only way you can get their subs anywhere other than their web page is to find someone who is selling theirs in the Hardware for Sale section of this or any other forum.

If you want to get them for cheaper, you're best bet would be to lurk in the SVS B-stocks page. You may get lucky and can end up with a used sub for a lower price.

However, I concur that they are well worth the money at full price. I doubt you will be disappointed.

By the way, I had a Rava from Adire Audio before I got my SVS 16-46PC.

8. Phil de Bruin

Phil de Bruin Auditioning

I am very close to either purchasing a REL Q400E - or the 16-46PCi - (I can't hear the SVS before I buy as I'm in the UK)

I would be very interested in your comments if you are able to compare these two subs - or the Q400E and any SVS sub ?

9. David K. Johnson

They're as good as you are reading!! I went from an Alon Centris to a Velodyne fsx-12, to the SVS 16-46pc (new driiver, old amp). I should have given away the first two!! No comparison - way deeper, flatter, LOUDER!! And you'll find no better customer service in the world.[​IMG]

10. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I also had a Rava and went with the dual 25-31CS+ with the sampson1000. Damn, talk about LOUD I was watching U-571 at reference during the depth charge chapters and the walls were going nuts. Also the destroyer being hit by the torpedo there is a part where the freq is very low and the thing goes crazy. I've never heard it bottom yet. I just went out on a limb with this purchase and quite frankly all the reviews are very true. I'm sure that PCI will more then satisfy your needs. Extremely blessed, and shocked(literally) by the results [​IMG]

11. Phil de Bruin

I auditioned a RELQ400E yesterday. The sub was too slow moving.
    Okay - when the source demands low frequencies - the REL was fantastic. A very powerful sound with seemingly little effort from the REL - but the higher bass frequencies were so much quieter. - it made the sound very disjointed as though there was a big gap in the bass (bottom end too loud - top end too quiet). In short - it didn't integrate very well with the rest of the system (which was high-end TagMclaren and Ruark btw).
    I'm having a nightmare trying to choose the right subwoofer. I wanted a 12" driver because I to hear every low frequency which was intended to be heard on the disc - and the sound of a sub bottoming out is just absolutely awful.
    Now i'm wondering if a 12" is the way to go - as the REL (which only makes sub and have a fantastic rep for doing so) didn't move fast enough to keep up with punchy bass music [​IMG]
    Ive now heard how horrible an expensive system can sound which has worried me. (Okay - maybe with time spent on calabiration and in a better room the results may be different).
    If I go for SVS - which, believe me, I really want to do - it's still going to be a gamble as to whether it will integrate into the rest of the system (??!) as I simply cannot "try before I buy" (shame there isn't a SVS dealer or equivilant in the UK!! (hint hint) [​IMG]

12. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Phil -

Are you handy with tools?

13. Phil de Bruin

erm... i'm okay - and could maybe call upon the help of a friend who is more handy......