svs subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dennis glasney, Mar 26, 2002.

1. dennis glasney

dennis glasney Auditioning

Mar 21, 2002
    being rather new to this forum as well as home theater in general, I was looking for some help with regards to svs subs. What are the advantages of the seperate amped models as opposed to the powered in models. pro's or con's on either would be appreciated.Was looking at the 20-39's with the 1000watt amp then saw the 320 amp built in models.I currently have mirage 1090i's as fronts, omc2 center and 4 omr2's as rears.Powered by elite 49 tx. would these subs be a good match. Thanks for your inputs. dennis
  2. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

Dec 28, 2001
    Welcome to the forum Dennis [​IMG]. I'll speak generally about the models to give you some framework. In terms of output there wont be a big difference between the passive CS line and the powered PC line. The new amp on the PC is 320W, the recommended Sampson amp for the passive CS is 350W per channel and both use the same driver, port, and enclosure.
    The main advantage of the passive 20-39CS with a Sampson S700 (the recommended amp for this model) is the addition of a second channel amp that stands ready for if/when you decide you want 2 subs. If you only buy one sub the PC line is a bit better deal for bass per dollar, but if you ever buy a second the passive line becomes the best buy, since you only buy the amp once and it costs little more than the PC.
    Now the easy decision is to say "Well, I'll only get one sub, and it'll be enough" and go for the PC powered model. Trouble is once you get that SVS bass it's hard to settle for one. For most rooms one would probably be enough, but for large rooms, and extra headroom down low 2 is much better than one. So in general I would recommend the passive CS with a Sampson over the PC unless the difference in cost between the two (not a lot of difference) means the difference between one sub and no sub. If that were the case your mind would be made up anyway.
    Norman Short
  3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Feb 20, 2000

pros- more power possible, cheaper overall than dual PC's

cons- somewhat more difficult setup, possibility of ground loop hum (cheater plug should fix), no phase control, no crossover control

SVS will go well with any speakers that can play loudly enough to keep up with it's generous output.

Overall, if you are very certain that you'll just have a single sub, then the PC/PCi series are a good idea. If you think you might get dual subs then CS is probably a better choice. Dual PCi's would still be great but a bit more expensive.
  4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Dec 9, 2001
    Pros -

Sub and amp are seperate, and you can mix and match with any amp you like. Many sub amps have all of the controls built in, like phase and crossover, and can be placed in your rack.

Upgrades are easy and cheap. Amps retain much of their value, and can be traded up for more power later.

Stereo amps easily allow the addition of another sub.

Cons -

You need to arrange for an amp in the system.

A bit of education on amps is a good thing.

PCi -

Pros -

All-in-one solution.

Easy install.

Factory support for the entire system, not just the sub if you use the CS with an outboard amp. (BUT the guys at SVS will help you with anything, as long as it involves the sub.)

Cons -

Locked into using the on-board amp.

Amp failure may mean sending the entire assy back to the factory. (Never heard of an amp failure, though)

As far as a match for the system, the design of these things allow for accurate, flat, neutral bass that doesn't lean in favor of any particular system or source. IOW, it will match well with any QUALITY system, which you have. Good response up to at least 100hz or more.

As far as which size to get (PC or CS) -

The 25*31 owners can get louder than the 16*46 guys with the same power, but the 16*46 will go lower. The 20*39 is the best of both worlds.

If you have a situation where you want to get as deep AND loud as possible, the 16*46+ and a powerful amp is the only way to go.

And you get a 45 day trial, and shipping is about $30 if you don't like it.

Worth it just for the experience!

Good luck -
  5. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

May 12, 2001
    I'd have to say that the CS series would be my recommendation. I know I bought thinking that I'd never need more than one sub. Which, although true, does not mean that I'd never want more that one!
    Fortunately, I got the CS because I never knew I'd want another one until after I had one!
    OTOH, I can't always afford my wants. And so I remain quite content with the one I have, while hoping to add another someday.
    However, if other constraints are more compelling, you will be happy with the PCi series. I personally did not find the lack of phase and crossover controls on the Samson to be an issue. Most folks tend to crank up the sub's crossover and get it out of the way anyhoo.