What's new

svs subs (1 Viewer)

Brad Penner

Auditioning
I am going to upgrade my current sub and I have decided to go with an SVS sub. But there are so many options that I have no idea which one to get. My room is about 18x20 but it has a high vaulted ceiling and there is a large opening to the foyer at the front left. I have pretty much decided to go with a dual-sub setup. Is the big difference between the PCi and the PC-Plus? Another key question is are the tubes alot better than their boxes? Would a PB12-Plus/2 perform nearly as well as 2 PC-Plus subs? And what about getting the unpowered versions? It seems like it would be cheaper to get 2 CS Plus subs with an external amp. Sorry for all the questions but I am eager to make a decision and get my new sub(s).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dual subs will require a bit more tuning/calibration on your part to get the best performance, so if you don't want to do that, I'd get the job done with a single one. My room is 19x20 with similar open adjacent areas. I'm using a PB-10 which actually does quite well in this size room. It isn't chest thumping, but it has good extension and clarity. SVS's recommendation for my size room was a 12/2 or 12/2 plus, or if you are looking for a ton of bass, maybe an Ultra.

I'm sure the cylinder vs box question is quite common for them, and their answer to me was that in similar price categories, their performance is very similar as well.

Definitely e-mail SVS directly and ask them as well, their support is quite good.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brad:

Definitely give the guys at SVS an email and they will give you the best recommendation for your room and the type of bass you are looking for.

I agree with John that the PB10 is a killer sub for the money. I personally like the box subs with the dual subs and built in amps like the PB12-Plus/2. And the finish on those are fantastic.

Parker

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

The performance benefit would be very slight. / They would probably both function within the same percentile, unless you put the two subs in different corners, which you will need to do additional work to prevent standing wave cancellations and whatnot.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I started with a 20-39CS sub. It was a great sub with gobs of output, but it struggled a little bit with the very low end at high volumes. Now, I have duel 16-46CS+s with Samson S1000. The + driver is a little bit cleaner, and hits a little bit harder. And with 2 of them, I can hit crazy SPLs. I have flat response down to 13hz at reference levels.

Duel cylinders versus a boxes with 2 drivers will perform very similar.

Cylinder advantages:
Lighter (much much lighter. The big boxes take 2-3 people to move)
Smaller footprint.
More volume
Cheaper

Box advantages:
Easier to calibrate and hook up
Can be used as an end table
WAF

Advantages to Duel CS+s and Samson amp:
Cheaper than 2 PC+s.
Only need 1 connection with the parallel input mode.
Subs are lighter and easier to move
subs have more internal volume

Disadvantages of passive subs:
No phase or crossover controls.

I like the passive subs and seperate amp. It is a cleaner solution for me. I can keep the amp in my rack, and only have to run speaker cables to the subs. If you are ever near St. Louis Missouri stop by and check them out.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Yeah i use my PB10 as a endtable....My girlfriend likes it!! The sub sounds awesome in my small basement TV room...I can't really imagine upgrading at this point unless I put my setup in a larger room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks