What's new

SVS Subs (1 Viewer)

MatthewC

Grip
I am considering purchasing my first SVS sub. After reading the info, they sound like the way to go for the money. My room is about 12x14 with an opening into a dining room. I'll be using a Sony 2ES reciever for power. My current sub is a JBL 250 Watt downfiring sub. Any opinions or advice would be gladly welcome.

Jay McC

Agent
The best thing you can do is gather up a pen and pad, 5 DVDs, and 5 music CDs and take a couple of weeks and go to all the dealers in your area tryout every sub you can find. After a while they may all start to sound alike, so take notes and then narrow it down to 4 or so, go back and revisit them and narrow it down to 1 or 2. Then decide what you want to do.

What sounds good from a subwoofer is different for all of us and even though plenty of people here seem to think SVS can do no wrong, its always a good decision to take the time to sample all the foods in your area. Then you can make a decision based more on knowledge and experience than speculation.

Good luck and remember to let your ears be the judge.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Yes, what Jay said. I audtioned many subs and found that I liked the Klipsch RSW-15 and Velodyne SPL 1200 very much. But then I ended up with the SVS PB2+ anyways. Mine arrives tomorrow.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I have pretty much the same size room and also started with a JBL 12" sub. I went with the 20-39PC. This was 2 years ago so I actually have one of the older models although I did the upgrade driver last year.
I found the SVS to be quite a bit more impact in the lower hertz where the JBL tapered off and the rumble factor definitely added to our movie experience. You'll find the SVS to be significantly different and may take a little getting used to. Tom and the crew at SVS are also there to aid you in setup and even down the road with help if you need it. They want you to get the most out of your sub cause there's a lot there to be had!!!
Being that my sub is of the older generation SVS, I just can't imagine what the newer ones sound like with the bigger amps.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
DonnyD, you can also upgrade the amp on your 20-39PC to the newer 300watt BASH unit. Just contact SVS for details.

MatthewC, good advice to look around. If you go to AudioEnvy , you can see if there is someone around your area that has an SVS, so you can audition it. Where ever you decide to get it from, be sure to check their return policy. It will not sound the same in your house as it does on the showroom floor.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The advice to go listen is safe and ubiquitous, but that won't tell you much about how a sub will perform in your room. With subs, it's best to go with some objective criteria gathered in repeatable ways. There's really very little at various price points (and nothing you will find in stores) that will outdo an SVS.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Just email Ron at SVS and give him your room deminsions and he will set you up with the correct sub. They will NOT over sell you. The guys there are wonderful to work with.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Auditioning subs is fine and dandy...if you can get them to let you take it home.

Trust me, what a sub/speaker/amp/etc. sounds like in a showroom is 99% likely to sound totally different in your room.

I like SVS's business model and the guys seem like stand-up guys. Plus they have a return policy that amounts to basically you paying return shipping (not bad at all).

If you can find a good local dealer who will let you take home subs for audition, do that! And yes, do go around and listen in their showrooms if you want, but with the understanding that it won't necessarily sound like you hear it--it may sound worse OR better--when you get the piece home.

If you have some available credit card room, and a local dealer with a good return policy, why not get an SVS and a local sub(s) and try them out in your environment?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have to agree on that one. You cannot audition a sub unless its in your own room. Speakers you can get a good idea and do some narrowing down to your likes but still even those should be put to the test in your own room with your own equipment.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
With that size room my guess it they will suggest the 25 - 31 Pci or Plus or the PSB1-ISD depending if you want a cylinder or box style.....you can't go wrong with anything from them...they are great to deal with and they have wonderful products...
Email them with :
dimensions, openings, music/movies you listen to ...

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Matthew:

Please list your music preferences (hip hop, rap, classical organ, rock, etc.), the % of time split between HT and music, how loud you like music & HT playback ("moderate", "loud", "really loud", or "plaster cracking"), your ceiling height, the distance from the sub to the key listening positions, and where the sub will be located with respect to permanent openings.

With this data, we can recommend an SVS model and then you can take that information to Tom/Ron for review and confirmation. They do appreciate prospective customers who "do their homework" and come to the table armed with knowledge and possibly a model in mind.

Regards,

Ed

Joel~Solid

Agent
Yes, what Jay said. I audtioned many subs and found that I liked the Klipsch RSW-15 and Velodyne SPL 1200 very much. But then I ended up with the SVS PB2+ anyways. Mine arrives tomorrow.
You will not be disappointed! I love my Dual PB2+ Set up. It is my favorite piece of HT gear.

Joel

GregAV

Agent
GD = one who is damned by a particular variety of diety I think.

Irregardless , just remember - Odin loves you.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Jack was thinking Group Delay. Moving along - back to our regularly scheduled program already in progress.......still waiting for Matthew to chime in with his vital HT/music statistics so we can hook him up with an SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks