SVS subs - What to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Loring, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Loring

Loring Stunt Coordinator

OK, I have measured my room/area and I have a 23x23x8' and 10' at center of room/area ceilings (vaulted ceilings). So I have a 4761^3 foot worth of volume I need to fill. But about a quarter of this area is a kitchen that does not have to be filled with bass. Due to this area is open to the rest of the viewing/listening area.
    Below is a link to a PDF of the floor plan I drew up.
    I do not listen to a lot of organ pipe heavy music but do enjoy it when I do, which is mostly Phantom of the Opera or good Vincent Price movies with Organ music.
    I know most of you will probably suggest dual subs but I just do not have the funds or space for them at this time.
    So what do all suggest... I am willing to lose some dBs to get deep bass.
    I was considering either the 16-46 or the 20-39. both being CS units. Since it would give me the an easy route to upgrade to go two subs down the road. When funds and space are available.
    Your suggestions are very welcome and will consider before my final purchase.
    http://www.loraninc.com/~grant/images/floorplan.pdf (note: svs sub shown on drawing for reference where the sub will be placed.)
    Thanks in Advance,

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

20-39CS+

Why?

You won't hear anything below 22hz or so anyway, and you need the output.

If you went 16+, you may not be able to take it to 11. Not sure about that, but 4000+ft3 is a ton of space...

Get some kind of good amp, at least 250 watts. Make that at least 350.

Oh, and you have no choice where the bass goes. Open doors = add the footage. Kitchen or not. Man, you'll need dualies soon.

Have fun!

3. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I agree with Colin on the 20-39+. That will help fill the space more effectively; moreover, it can be tuned down to 16 Hz for the occasional pipe organ, but still allow higher output the rest of the time.

4. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I think that the 16-46+ or 20-39+ would do good for you, considering how often do you need the extra high spls compared to normal DVD Playback. I have a feeling you will end up with two once you get that feeling most get when hearing pefect, loud, tight, and most of all undistorted bass. Pesonaly I have the 20-39cs and there is not alot down low I seem to miss and I have 9000cf to fill.

5. raze

raze Agent

MarcVH,

I am undecided as to which svs+ to purchase.

How can a 20-39+ be tuned down to 16 Hz?

Is this something svs does?

Thanks,

R

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

If I may....

The + series has three 3" ports, and they may be plugged individually (1 or 2 at a time, I think, one for sure) to alter the tuning frequency. SVS includes one or 2 plugs...?

25-31 to 22Hz or so

20-39 to 17 or so

16-46 to 13 or so.

I don't know if output suffers, but if it did you'd never notice. At those levels you'll likely be unconscious anyway.

7. raze

raze Agent

ColinM,

Thanks for the info.

I was leaning towards the 16+,

but I may have to reconsider.

Now, where's my tax return?

Thanks,

R

8. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Raysmaroo, Colin is correct. See SVS's web site for more information, including graphs. I think it's really cool that they include this capability, even though it may end up costing them money by persuading people who would otherwise buy the 16-46 to get the less expensive 20-39. Others, of course, are still waiting for the 8-72CS+. [​IMG]
    The CS+ subs include one "soda can" plug, so I assume that means plugging two ports at once isn't recommended. Port-plugging doesn't just reduce maximum SPL but also makes the overall speaker performance less flat; that is to say, at a given volume level a tone of, say, 22 Hz will be louder without the plug than with it. You can compensate by turning up the sub a dB or two, but that will exaggerate the 30-80 Hz range (which mostly comes directly from the driver, rather than port response.)

9. raze

raze Agent

MarcVH,

That sounds pretty good to me.

Maybe I will go with a dual 20-39+ setup.

10. Loring

Loring Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Everyone, your opinions where insightful and helpful in my decision.
    What did I decided to get. Well I am going to get the 16-46CS with Samson S700. Tom V suggested it to me after I sent the same info as I posted above to [email protected]
    When I get a new TV in the near future I will probably get a second sub and really kick out the bass. But that will not be anytime soon probably sometime after December (bonus money maybe).
    But for now it is just not feasible for me to get two subs. I also considered the plus version but just don’t have the extra funds at this time and I really want a SVS sub now. I might wait but have other expenses that are coming up in the next few months and if I wait I am afraid I will spend what I have and never get a SVS sub.
    So this Friday I will be most likely have an order number for my SVS sub.
    Again thanks everyone.

11. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Good choice, I am sure you will be very happy with that sub. Welcome to the club!

12. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit