SVS subs. THX certified?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John Menoni, Feb 13, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I see that certain SVS model #s include the term; Ultra2. Does this mean that they are THX certified? I have an M&K S-150 system with a 350 sub. I was considering using one of the SVS subs as a second sub. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

John Menoni

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

It has nothing to do with THX certification, but that doesn't matter because THX certification isn't directly correlated to performance.

3. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Michael. I try to go with THX speakers because I don't know a hell alot about technical details of the speaker performance. I can't tell you how many decibels a sub should pump out 12 hz. I just know that I love alot of bass when watching movies. I think the SVS might be worth deviating from the THX specs.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

John

When it comes to subwoofers, THX may actually represent a decrease in performance. The original THX spec did not really call for much ability below 25-30 Hz.

Perhaps that is why some people are using the SVS 16-46 to supplement their M&K subwoofers, including the M&K model 350 sub.

5. ChrisCan

ChrisCan Agent

THX is not the be all end all some people think.
    THX certification doesn't mean it's the best equipment. It just means it meets THX requirement and they paid THX to certify it(Not cheap). Many other brands and models meet and EXCEED THX spec but don't bear the THX logo

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

It was 35hz.THX Ultra 2 does requires extension down to 20hz though.While I don't dismiss THX as many do it here, it was never my "shopping criteria" either .

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Lewis

Thanks

I stopped following THX several years ago. It is nice to know that THX Ultra requires subs that can do 20Hz.

Chris

I wonder how much it costs to have something certified THX. For example, I believe you can get a Kenwood 6.1 channel THX Select receiver for $250 US street price. It can't cost a whole heck of a lot for the THX cert.

8. John S

John S Producer

THX Select truly means nothing... THX and ULTRA THX does at least have some real performance meaning at least. Still should not be a real buying criteria though.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Just for clarification:The old THX has become THX Ultra after THX select was created.THX Ultra2 was created mainly for the THX EX surround[7.1] enviroment,and shows up mostly on receivers, processors,subs. I've heard conflicting info on this but nothing definitive.To be honest I don't think it's much on the unit/unit bases.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

THX Select carries the same weight as Ultra, the only difference is Select cert devices are intended for smaller rooms, which are far more common in the typical HT.

11. John S

John S Producer

Hmm. Got any links to futher information between the different THX certs? This is not my understanding of select, but room volume would have a ton to do with it, so what are the respective room volume measurements between them, so I have a better understanding of them and any true meaning they may have.

I mean, I can get just about any system to 120db if I make the space small enough. [​IMG]

12. John Garcia

John
    Interesting - they used to list it on their site, but I couldn't find it. I believe it was

13. John S

John S Producer

Thanks, I would truly like to be in the know on this...

Any additonal info would be fantastic.

14. John Garcia

John

Comment by John Dahl of THX in an interview on Audioholics. Article can be found here.

15. John S

John S Producer

Thanks John Garcia.. Rather enlightening for sure.

Seems a lot of equipment meets the select cert, much of which would not satisfy me personally. Interesting for sure. Of course I don't see all that mnay subs with the THX Select cert. going on. [​IMG]

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Actually very few people even in the industry knows just what would qualify for either certification,and I'm talking about the real indepth technical stuff,not the guidlines they post on their website.THX simply don't tell it,but rather test it[components] then make recommendations. It is as well guarded as the Coke recipe.[​IMG]

17. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

Nice lookin emblem though.